Author Topic: I bought one of those homo "Crossfit" (oh brother) belts...  (Read 5795 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
I bought one of those homo "Crossfit" (oh brother) belts...
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
And the fucking thing is amazing! Fits perfectly and is comfortable even when it's tight. I actually tried squatting this morning (tentatively) and it was great!

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
Re: I bought one of those homo "Crossfit" (oh brother) belts...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »
That style belt has been around for a LONG time. One of their " tried and true " belts. I don't use that style belt, personally, but it it a very good belt.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
And the fucking thing is amazing! Fits perfectly and is comfortable even when it's tight. I actually tried squatting this morning (tentatively) and it was great!

What did you squat on?

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:30:51 AM »
I had the wider one (6inch) in the 90s....stopped using belts because
they say they make your back weaker....hope this helps..

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »

Now you need fingerless glove and wrist stabilization wraps, and straps and you'll be full on homo.
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
I had the wider one (6inch) in the 90s....stopped using belts because
they say they make your back weaker....hope this helps..

I stopped using belts about 15 years ago and my mechanics were so terrible that I kept injuring myself. I've spent the last 9 months relearning the mechanics of squatting properly and am reintroducing the belt.

Something has to help my utter shite legs.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
I have a Grizzly version of that, not as good probably but never wear that in the gym. It was $5 in the blowout section. But if you feel it helps you, why not?
?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »
I stopped using belts about 15 years ago and my mechanics were so terrible that I kept injuring myself. I've spent the last 9 months relearning the mechanics of squatting properly and am reintroducing the belt.

you know what i like you -aj- a very humble post and so true. I am slowly getting back into training and it really is bringing back basics..which are so important.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »
Curious what makes this a crossfit belt?

(I've owned one for several years, and now consider setting it on fire).

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »
Ever since I had a double hernia, I always wear a belt. It probably really doesn't do anything, but I do it for "psychological" reasons. I feel like the belt will prevent my hernia from popping back out--a placebo effect, so to speak.
X

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »
Curious what makes this a crossfit belt?

(I've owned one for several years, and now consider setting it on fire).

Sadly, I was inspired to look into these types of belts from seeing pictures of the Crossfit "athletes" (NH). Most of them run around with one of these types of belts on.

Oh, and I bought the belt at Rogue Fitness, so FLAME ON, it's Crossfit.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »

true it can make the back muscles weaker but I think it's negligible. Anytime you have compressive forces coming down the spine such as squatting your flattening the discs wearing a belt helps keep the intra-abdominal pressure higher and stops the disks from compressing so much    So it's a trade-off. I've lifted both ways and as I get older I would much rather be wary of my discs than worry about the one 10th percentage of muscle strength I'm losing to wearing a belt while doing heavy lifts.

GDam iphone

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
My doctor told me to stop wearing one...after I had back surgery.. >:(

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »
My doctor told me to stop wearing one...after I had back surgery.. >:(

Was he a doctor that had the slightest clue about strength training?

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
Yes ...I actually blew out a chunk of my L5 and the piece
cut off my nerves. ...he said a belt weakens your back because say you use it for working out and don't use it for say picking up groceries you could injure it. I had surgery 12 years ago and just focused on strengthening my core plus my regular workout...so far so good...

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 11:20:23 AM »
cut off my nerves. ...he said a belt weakens your back because say you use it for working out and don't use it for say picking up groceries you could injure it. I had surgery 12 years ago and just focused on strengthening my core plus my regular workout...so far so good...

I am now wearing my belt to type on the computer. You can't be too sure.

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
Probably a good idea...with your ergonomicly
 correct chair....

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »
serious question, what's the point of lifting belts, wraps, etc?

i never felt a single thing from using any of them.  do some people suddenly feel amazing once they put these on ???

with wraps, i noticed i could lift more, but i dont think it was making my muscle work harder.  and isn't the point to work the muscle?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »
serious question, what's the point of lifting belts, wraps, etc?

i never felt a single thing from using any of them.  do some people suddenly feel amazing once they put these on ???

with wraps, i noticed i could lift more, but i dont think it was making my muscle work harder.  and isn't the point to work the muscle?

For me, the belt keeps me from favoring one side or the other subconsciously. Also, it gives me something to push my abs against when doing a lift for added stabilization.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
true I can make the back muscles weaker but I think it's negligible. Anytime you have compressive forces coming down the spine such as squatting your flattening the desks wearing a belt helps keep the intra-abdominal pressure higher and stops the disks from compressing so much    So it's a trade-off I've looked at both ways and as I get older I would much rather be wary of my discs then worry about the one 10th percentage of muscle strength I'm losing to wearing a belt while doing heavy le then worry about the one 10th percentage of muscle strength I'm losing to wearing a belt while doing heavy lifts.

In my opinion the issue is not that your core gets weaker, rather the increase in load being able to be moved. From experience I can say that on average I squat anywhere from 5-10kg more when wearing a belt (with further difference depending on what type of belt - powerlifting or weightlifting -). What that tells me is that while the legstrength may be there, core strength is not. In that regard, a belt could thus make you lift above your 'natural/raw/whatever you want to call it' ability.

In the long-run it could create a muscle-imbalance (E.g.: your legs can handle more than your back can, which potentially endangers your back. - I know low-bar squatters who can't squat within 20kg from their normal weight without the use of a belt).

Personally in case of the squat, as a high-bar squatter, I find the difference in using a belt or not to be very little so it's not such an issue. But the danger of (mis)using a belt is more evident in deadlifting for me, as I've felt pain on several occasions in the area of my back right above where the belt ends. Pain which I suspect originates from the lowerback being encapsuled and braced, creating a rather tension-rich area, whereas the area not covered by the belt has disproportionally weaker tension, creating an injury prone area.

Sadly, I was inspired to look into these types of belts from seeing pictures of the Crossfit "athletes" (NH). Most of them run around with one of these types of belts on.

Oh, and I bought the belt at Rogue Fitness, so FLAME ON, it's Crossfit.

Haha, it happens. Scheik makes good products though, sooner or later you'll probably come across Rehband as well.

I find this to be a rather incredible statement coming from a doctor.
I am under the assumption that your groceries typically will weigh far less than the weight you move during training, hence the equation of picking up groceries and working out is quite ludicrious. Freak accidents can always happen, and more likely than not, injuries from picking up groceries can occur 'randomly' or through lifting improperly, rather than wearing a belt occasionally. Unless you're wearing a corset 24/7 and you suddenly take it off and start picking up shit, I can't imagine a scenario where using a belt during workouts can possibly impact daily life without already having have had a propensity for injury.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
I find this to be a rather incredible statement coming from a doctor.
I am under the assumption that your groceries typically will weigh far less than the weight you move during training, hence the equation of picking up groceries and working out is quite ludicrious. Freak accidents can always happen, and more likely than not, injuries from picking up groceries can occur 'randomly' or through lifting improperly, rather than wearing a belt occasionally. Unless you're wearing a corset 24/7 and you suddenly take it off and start picking up shit, I can't imagine a scenario where using a belt during workouts can possibly impact daily life without already having have had a propensity for injury.

Agree.  That doctor made an idiotic statement. Picking up groceries and other things u pick up in daily living activities usually cause injury from twisting wrong while doing it.  Now wearing a belt all day long day after day would def hinder your low back if you suddenly take it off but if you lift weights your back is already much stronger with or without a belt than if you did not lift at all.  Presuming you are lifting with good form

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
I squat and deadlift in inov-8 crossfit style shoes. Flame on

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »
I squat and deadlift in inov-8 crossfit style shoes. Flame on

*sob*

I have a pair too...

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »
*sob*

I have a pair too...
Haha I'm still on my one and only pair f-lite 195s from several years ago. They're light as hell and good on squats. Used to use adidas' power lifting shoe, but they're clunky as fuck. Might as well wear clogs

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:59 PM »

would love to be that surgeon.

No, i really would.  I'd be very wealthy.