Author Topic: IFBB PROS SWITCHING TO PRO DIVISION  (Read 8102 times)

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
Re: IFBB PROS SWITCHING TO PRO DIVISION
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 06:11:42 PM »
I believe they would actually be independent contractors.  Perhaps getting paid a minimum appearance fee, then winnings as a bonus.  Personally, I would rather do this than prep and get screwed by IFBB judges over and over.

But...  can we switch the conversation back to those who switched over - I want to know the confirmed (or soon to be confirmed).
Motherboy (the band).

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »

But...  can we switch the conversation back to those who switched over - I want to know the confirmed (or soon to be confirmed).

Word is Jocelyn Pelletier will be making the switch, since the IFBB won't let him compete anymore.
Ron: "I am lazy."

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 06:18:38 PM »
I believe they would actually be independent contractors.  Perhaps getting paid a minimum appearance fee, then winnings as a bonus.  Personally, I would rather do this than prep and get screwed by IFBB judges over and over.
I think that would be great and would ensure a full lineup. Pay them a certain amount to get ready then the prize money is your bonus.

As far as confirmed competitors we won't know for sure until the curtains open same as any show really...

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 06:34:59 PM »
Man, you guys are making this waaay to complicated. There are shows scheduled and people will enter them. No one makes any fricken money anyway so what has most of them got to lose. You will see a ton of good quality amatuers entering the pro qualifier shows. The pro schedule will be out soon.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »

Special "Insider" Ed

haha predictable

E
E

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 09:03:59 PM »
Demilla needs only one person to back his organization. One. Arnold. If he comes out and backs a "new deal' for pro bodybuilders, it can succeed overnight. Without him (and he's obviously doubtful) Demilla needs all the pros to drop the IFBB and make the switch... if not... he will fail.
a

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »
I think wayne is aiming for the "lets build some momentum" approach with younger bodybuilders as the focus.

Problem is will the fans support it long enough for the ball to start rolling properly...

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 09:22:09 PM »
properly.
copy the IFBB
only as a point of departure.
ex:  how not to structure an organization.
shows in major markets and on internet only.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 12:37:43 AM »
Demilla needs only one person to back his organization. One. Arnold. If he comes out and backs a "new deal' for pro bodybuilders, it can succeed overnight. Without him (and he's obviously doubtful) Demilla needs all the pros to drop the IFBB and make the switch... if not... he will fail.
Not true. One big name will bring some credibility to the new federation. The IFBB will be forced to either shake things up with their continued predictable placings or risk losing other disenfranchised competitors. Let's say Jay Cutler left the IFBB tomorrow and ten other lesser name pros followed. Are you saying that organization is doomed to fail? What if Cutler, Gunter, Priest and Martinez all left tomorrow?? Suddenly, you have real competition for the IFBB.

You don't need Arnold. You need names and bodies. The audience will follow their favorites. The sponsors will chase the fans. And soon enough, Manion will be chasing DeMilia.

Special "Black Friday" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 12:53:42 AM »
What if Cutler, Gunter, Priest and Martinez all left tomorrow?? Suddenly, you have real competition for the IFBB.

But where is the incentive to defect? Show me the money jerry...

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 04:18:30 AM »
I really want to see this thing succeed but I have my doubts.  The IFBB lost some of it's biggest names to the WBF back in the day and they didn't bat an eye.  Quinn, Christian, Strydom, Demay, Padilla...all of these guys were pretty top notch.  The IFBB is a total monopoly in this "sport".  I remember reading that they told the other mags that if they covered the WBF shows they would not be allowed to cover any IFBB or NPC shows.  If they pull this same stuff it's going to be awful hard for teh pro div. to make a dent in the sport.  Granted Vinny Mac is alot different than Wayne Demillia in that Wayne has alot more expiereince running a bodybuilding org. than Vince did but Vince is no fool, the WWF was the biggest thing going and he had tons of mainstream exposure, I remember Vince Comerford doing interviews on Saturday morning wrastlin, he had the WBF TV show his own supplement line..he had all of the ingrediants to succeed and still got destroyed.  Yes the drug testing hurt him real bad but the 1990 Olympia was "tested" just like the 92 WBF show was tested. 

Wayne seems to have this well thought out.  Bringing in amatuer guys, introducing fresh new faces.  I hope he makes this happen.

I just can't wait to read Flex rip him for the next 10-12 years, hell how many times have they had the phrase "we bore fans" since the WBF demise?
nasser=piece of shit

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 04:42:29 AM »
I really want to see this thing succeed but I have my doubts.  The IFBB lost some of it's biggest names to the WBF back in the day and they didn't bat an eye.  Quinn, Christian, Strydom, Demay, Padilla...all of these guys were pretty top notch.  The IFBB is a total monopoly in this "sport".  I remember reading that they told the other mags that if they covered the WBF shows they would not be allowed to cover any IFBB or NPC shows.  If they pull this same stuff it's going to be awful hard for teh pro div. to make a dent in the sport.  Granted Vinny Mac is alot different than Wayne Demillia in that Wayne has alot more expiereince running a bodybuilding org. than Vince did but Vince is no fool, the WWF was the biggest thing going and he had tons of mainstream exposure, I remember Vince Comerford doing interviews on Saturday morning wrastlin, he had the WBF TV show his own supplement line..he had all of the ingrediants to succeed and still got destroyed.  Yes the drug testing hurt him real bad but the 1990 Olympia was "tested" just like the 92 WBF show was tested. 
Wayne seems to have this well thought out.  Bringing in amatuer guys, introducing fresh new faces.  I hope he makes this happen.
I just can't wait to read Flex rip him for the next 10-12 years, hell how many times have they had the phrase "we bore fans" since the WBF demise?

turf war house by house neighborhood by neighborhood civil war in the bodybuilding trenches snipers flamers booby traps psychological warfare brainwashing propaganda character assasinations personal attacks racism sexism bigotry homophobia xenaphobia

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 06:53:09 AM »
Muscle Mayhem has a 71min audio interview with Wayne that you can listen to. I sounds like he has everything in line.

Awesome - I'll have to check that out.  Thanks for the tip. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 07:51:39 AM »
Awesome - I'll have to check that out.  Thanks for the tip. 

i recommend it. after hearing it, i was pretty convinced this thing has a chance

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 09:07:38 AM »
that's the worst post i've read in a while.

the only part that made sense is the part about gunter.

mustafa?  an underground following?  how do you figure.  he's just as popular as any other pro like branch warren, jackson, atwood etc.  he looks great, but more muscle that anyone?  his back is weak and now that manion told him that if he overdoses on diuretics agian, he'll be suspended, so now he shows up at every show smooth.

arntz?  is that rfucking joke.  between the oil in his shoulders and gyno, no legs, and no torso, why would you include him.  he looked great in the npc, but too much partying and dealing of xstacy ruined his physique. 

downing?  looks good at times in the upper body, but he's not big enough or conditioned enough to be competitive.  and he has no legs.

kamili?  it was one thing when he was decent and he talked shit, now that palumboism has set in, no one pays attention to him or even cares what he says anymore.

freeman?  nothing speical.  never big nor full enough to make an impact.

rockel?  looks good but kinda small to do any real damamge.  doesnt have the arms or muscuarlity of priest even with the horrible bronze tan.

cormier?  how can you build a org. around him.  he's practically retired and bitter bc he was always overated and never even lived up to those hypes.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 09:11:32 AM »

mustafa?  an underground following?  how do you figure.  he's just as popular as any other pro like branch warren, jackson, atwood etc.  he looks great, but more muscle that anyone?  his back is weak and now that manion told him that if he overdoses on diuretics agian, he'll be suspended, so now he shows up at every show smooth.

perhaps you haven't heard of Team Mustafa.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 09:32:06 AM »
that's the worst post i've read in a while.
That's a pretty mean thing say to a disabled person. Didn't your mother teach you any compassion?

Special "Hurt Feelings" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 12:13:08 PM »
I'd like to see the legal papers on that one... I'd bet the IFBB is all under one blanket sports federation

The IFBB was just Joe and Ben from about 1948 until 1964.  That's when the amateur branch actually formed and had an international congress.

Dan Lurie, continuing his feud with Joe, paid for a lawyer to search Canadian records.  The lawyer reported that articles of incorporation for the IFBB were dated 1969.  No legal records prior to that were found.

The IFBB is a for profit corporation, not a sports federation.

Besides, what's the definition of a sports federation?  I would think it would be something like a non profit organization recognized by a national government.   The IFBB or the NPC is not recognized by the US government as the organizing body of bodybuilding. 

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »
You had me sleeping at "Hello"

Special "Don't Care Much about History" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »
The IFBB or the NPC is not recognized by the US government as the organizing body of bodybuilding. 

Is there any body recognised by the US government as an organising body for bodybuilding?

Obviously the AAU were back in the 70's.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »
I thought it was a non profit

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2006, 05:10:31 PM »
Tis no accident that only 8 guys showed up for the IFBB Funeral today, hosted by the Reverand Chick.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2006, 05:26:28 PM »
Tis no accident that only 8 guys showed up for the IFBB Funeral today, hosted by the Reverand Chick.
You've been converted haven't you 240...

The podcast showed a few things.

Wayne is putting on his own night of champions as before. He has euro promoters putting on their own shows.

His CATCH 22 is how does he get the athletes to sign on dotted line to say they'll be turning up? And even if they do sign something how does he enforce it? Even the IFBB can't truly enforce their athlete agreements especially since LEE proved how worthless they are...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2006, 05:37:20 PM »
You've been converted haven't you 240...
The podcast showed a few things.
Wayne is putting on his own night of champions as before. He has euro promoters putting on their own shows.
His CATCH 22 is how does he get the athletes to sign on dotted line to say they'll be turning up? And even if they do sign something how does he enforce it? Even the IFBB can't truly enforce their athlete agreements especially since LEE proved how worthless they are...

The IFBB enforces one thing: A fixed result. Is there any doubt who will be #1 and #2 at the O this year?  Hell, we can probably predict a Coleman-Custler-Gustavo finish already, right?

In the first year, Pro Division Bodybuilding will ALREADY have the IFBB beat in the fact that there is no pre-ordained champ.  Someone new will win their shows.  Could be Gunter, Mustafa, Priest... could be Rockel or someone we don't see coming.

But it's new.  New! And newness cannot be bought or faked.  You know that tingly feeling you get on a first date, at a new job, when driving a new car... you can't get that at a Coleman-ninth-straight O win.  But you can get it Aug 11-12 at the Florida Pro.  You can also punch 240 for $20.  I'll have a booth with garraeth, Greggy V, JH, and Team Mustafa.  See yall there!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2006, 05:46:51 PM »
august in fla?  nah, we'll be in nantucket..
but i am willing to underwrite a 240 hater a scholarship :) of 20 dollars