Author Topic: If Evolution Is True, Does That Disprove God?  (Read 92909 times)

AD2100

• Getbig IV
If Evolution Is True, Does That Disprove God?
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »
A student at Sam Houston State University considers the possibility of God and Evolution.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: If Evolution Is True, Does That Disprove God?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
Questions like this from nonbelievers I understand.  Questions like this from believers I don't.

The ultimate proof for any believer in Christ is the presence of the Holy Spirit.

If macro evolution is true it does nothing to disprove God because of the tangible presence of the Holy Spirit....that's a simple answer.

What I find interesting are the continued findings of cosmology, physics and microbiology.  Brilliant men and women continue to uncover more complex layers of who we are as human beings and more layers to subatomic particles and new subatomic particles in the universe.  It's exciting stuff.....just last month the reports of the discovery of pentaquarks at CERN was announced.....more and more complex than we ever imagined.  Every layer we seem to peel back only reveals more unexpected complexity underneath.....astonishi ng to say the least.  Of course every board atheist on principle alone will forcibly disagree with me and then repeat exactly what I've said in a different way (par for the course).

Everything gets more and more complex the deeper we dig.  The models keep shifting because of the data and that's cool.  

What I find interesting is that so many will never relent and say "the complexity we see never seems to end....just grows layer upon layer that we uncover......a vastly more intelligent designer could certainly be involved.....God could be a possibility."

No, it's always "complexity doesn't indicate God and we'll search forever to find the source or singularity or that special something else that explains it all.  Our answer will never be 'God'.....we'll search until our deaths and hope others will until their deaths....[ad infinitum]."

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
God could have used evolution.

But God did not use evolution.

:)

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »
Questions like this from nonbelievers I understand.  Questions like this from believers I don't.

The ultimate proof for any believer in Christ is the presence of the Holy Spirit.

If macro evolution is true it does nothing to disprove God because of the tangible presence of the Holy Spirit....that's a simple answer.

What I find interesting are the continued findings of cosmology, physics and microbiology.  Brilliant men and women continue to uncover more complex layers of who we are as human beings and more layers to subatomic particles and new subatomic particles in the universe.  It's exciting stuff.....just last month the reports of the discovery of pentaquarks at CERN was announced.....more and more complex than we ever imagined.  Every layer we seem to peel back only reveals more unexpected complexity underneath.....astonishi ng to say the least.  Of course every board atheist on principle alone will forcibly disagree with me and then repeat exactly what I've said in a different way (par for the course).

Everything gets more and more complex the deeper we dig.  The models keep shifting because of the data and that's cool.  

What I find interesting is that so many will never relent and say "the complexity we see never seems to end....just grows layer upon layer that we uncover......a vastly more intelligent designer could certainly be involved.....God could be a possibility."

No, it's always "complexity doesn't indicate God and we'll search forever to find the source or singularity or that special something else that explains it all.  Our answer will never be 'God'.....we'll search until our deaths and hope others will until their deaths....[ad infinitum]."

We don't even have concrete knowledge as to why the human body sleeps, or the workings of the human brain.

We are so far from understanding God's magnificent universe(s) that it is rather pathetic that certain atheist scientists think we will ever have all of the answers.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »

See, here's the problem: in order to say "God is a possibility" one must first be able to define what "God" is. Without knowing that, the statement "God is a possibility" is meaningless and vacuous. You also suggest increasing complexity, but that's not necessarily what we see - the pentaquark notwithstanding. But you suggest that it is this increasing complexity that somehow implies the existence God. Does that, then, mean that you think that decreasing complexity implies the converse?

You assume - not entirely unexpectedly - that "God" is an answer to the questions posed. The problem is that it isn't an answer at all. It's just a way to give up the search for answers. Why is the sky blue? God. Why does spacetime seem to have a foamy structure? God. Why are women born with all their eggs but men produce sperm? God. What is the Universe? God. What is our purpose in life? God. Is there a purpose to life? God. Soup or salad? God.

jugheadjones

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »

You assume - not entirely unexpectedly - that "God" is an answer to the questions posed. The problem is that it isn't an answer at all. It's just a way to give up the search for answers. Why is the sky blue? God. Why does spacetime seem to have a foamy structure? God. Why are women born with all their eggs but men produce sperm? God. What is the Universe? God. What is our purpose in life? God. Is there a purpose to life? God. Soup or salad? God.

I really like this response. My personal opinion (read it again my personal) is most of the God believers are the not so bright bunch who need to jump on some bandwagon to have an explanation for this or that. They refuse to delve deeper into the formation of something and fall back on "Its there because God put it there". Look at tbombz for example, that kid is about as dumb as they come and fell on the religion train. He goes out and reads some religious book and then comes back here rambling with cut and pastes from said book and wants us to think he is some intelligent person. Im pretty sure the jury came through long ago with the decision that not all the lights are on in his house, and that seems to me to be a similar situation with a lot of religious nutbars.

And didnt Man of Steel "find" religion after falling on his head or something, some kind of accident? It's pretty hard for someone to fall on their noggin and then run around trying to convince people  there is a God. Im sure more than a few people look at him now with the rolling eyes like the emoticon on here  ::)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
avxo my friend, long time no speak.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

See, here's the problem: in order to say "God is a possibility" one must first be able to define what "God" is. Without knowing that, the statement "God is a possibility" is meaningless and vacuous. You also suggest increasing complexity, but that's not necessarily what we see - the pentaquark notwithstanding. But you suggest that it is this increasing complexity that somehow implies the existence God. Does that, then, mean that you think that decreasing complexity implies the converse?

Agreed, good to define terms and sometimes essential to do so.  Also good practice to be prepared to define terms as needed as the conversation progresses.  Unless of course the parties are well aware of the subject matter and then for the most part it’s unnecessary.

Unfortunately a problem with defining terms is that it’s often used as a crutch in that either side can simply cling to the idea that any definition given is "not a cogent explanation" or is "an insufficient definition".   It's an argumentative convenience wrapped in a clever disguise....it’s intellectual cowardice.  It can be utilized randomly and is often a personal means of absolution.   It's not that definitions can't be discussed, but when no definition is ever sufficient I find the motivation to be suspect......smoke and mirrors.

Certainly not all scientific findings summarize as increasing complexity, but that’s certainly what is continually uncovered at CERN.  I think it’s a good thing and it amazes me what these folks are finding and understanding….blows my mind actually.

It’s not necessarily the general notion of complexity that implies the existence of God.  For me it’s the improbability of that seemingly unending complexity.

Decreasing complexity?  Hmmm…..I would have to use an example of something that the vast majority of scientists and scientific enthusiasts understand thoroughly and/or as completely as humanly possible.  Certainly complexity is subjective, but let’s take a single drop of water as an example.   For the most part, we can agree that water is fairly simple and we understand it thoroughly.  It’s essential to our lives, covers the majority of the earth and our bodies are composed of a ton of it.  From a perspective of chemistry it’s quite simple and we teach the simple chemistry of water to small kids in elementary schools.   Yet, despite how simple and essential water is we can’t create a single drop of it.  We can produce it as a by product of others processes or convert it from other states (air vapor to liquid water), but we can’t produce one drop of water from nothing (at the present).  From a perspective of our understanding that’s a relatively simple concept that science understands thoroughly and yet eludes science completely.   I think that the simplicity of water can imply something greater at work.  Heck we’re attempting to scour the universe for other places that have water and haven’t been all that successful in our endeavors.

Well, I don’t have much to add here because that isn’t my position.  I’m a lifetime student and enjoy reading and learning.  I don’t subscribe to the naïve proposition of “why is the sky blue?  God.”  or "I can't answer a question so 'God'."  I fully believe that God is creator, but that isn't license to stop learning and seeking to understand.  Personally I think the Lord delights in our explorative efforts and findings therein.  Reason being, the more we discover of his creation the more we glorify him in the process.....just my opinion.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:58:30 PM »
I really like this response. My personal opinion (read it again my personal) is most of the God believers are the not so bright bunch who need to jump on some bandwagon to have an explanation for this or that. They refuse to delve deeper into the formation of something and fall back on "Its there because God put it there". Look at tbombz for example, that kid is about as dumb as they come and fell on the religion train. He goes out and reads some religious book and then comes back here rambling with cut and pastes from said book and wants us to think he is some intelligent person. Im pretty sure the jury came through long ago with the decision that not all the lights are on in his house, and that seems to me to be a similar situation with a lot of religious nutbars.

And didnt Man of Steel "find" religion after falling on his head or something, some kind of accident? It's pretty hard for someone to fall on their noggin and then run around trying to convince people  there is a God. Im sure more than a few people look at him now with the rolling eyes like the emoticon on here  ::)

MOS must've been dumped on his head. 

How can anyone be that blind and stupid?

jugheadjones

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »
MOS must've been dumped on his head. 

How can anyone be that blind and stupid?

Did I say dumped? I heard that you had some kind of accident and hit your head and became religious after that. Im not making this up. If Im wrong Im sorry. Wow for a bible thumper you sure are touchy, never knew you jesus lovers called people stupid

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 03:46:48 AM »
I was just playing along with your last post and in doing so called myself stupid.

No, wasn't hit in the head and then started talking to God. 

jugheadjones

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »
Im sure there is someone on this board who fell on their head or got smacked in the head and found religion. If I figure it out I'll post who it is.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »
Im sure there is someone on this board who fell on their head or got smacked in the head and found religion. If I figure it out I'll post who it is.

My folks told me I once fell over in my high chair as a baby.  

I didn't get good with JC until my mid 30s though.  So my baby story probably doesn't count.

Anyway, regardless of head trauma most agree that theists are born brain dead.

Most folks just find it easier to make stuff up....I'd go with that.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »
Agreed, good to define terms and sometimes essential to do so.  Also good practice to be prepared to define terms as needed as the conversation progresses.  Unless of course the parties are well aware of the subject matter and then for the most part it’s unnecessary.

If they are well aware of the subject matter and the definitions for that subject matter are crystal clear and unambiguous.

Unfortunately a problem with defining terms is that it’s often used as a crutch in that either side can simply cling to the idea that any definition given is "not a cogent explanation" or is "an insufficient definition".   It's an argumentative convenience wrapped in a clever disguise....it’s intellectual cowardice.  It can be utilized randomly and is often a personal means of absolution.   It's not that definitions can't be discussed, but when no definition is ever sufficient I find the motivation to be suspect......smoke and mirrors.

Good, accurate definitions don't allow the sort of wiggle room that you describe. If one side can't produce a clear, internally consistent and unambiguous definition, then it's not intellectual cowardice for the other side to point that out.

Certainly not all scientific findings summarize as increasing complexity, but that’s certainly what is continually uncovered at CERN.  I think it’s a good thing and it amazes me what these folks are finding and understanding….blows my mind actually.

If you're referring to the pentaquark, while I agree that it was an awesome and intriguing discovery, I'll point out that the pentaquark simply constitutes a new way for quarks to combine. But CERN certainly lets us explore existing theories and is helping us improve our understanding of the Universe.

It’s not necessarily the general notion of complexity that implies the existence of God.  For me it’s the improbability of that seemingly unending complexity.

So to you the something like the Julia set proves God?

Decreasing complexity?  Hmmm…..I would have to use an example of something that the vast majority of scientists and scientific enthusiasts understand thoroughly and/or as completely as humanly possible.  Certainly complexity is subjective, but let’s take a single drop of water as an example.   For the most part, we can agree that water is fairly simple and we understand it thoroughly.  It’s essential to our lives, covers the majority of the earth and our bodies are composed of a ton of it.  From a perspective of chemistry it’s quite simple and we teach the simple chemistry of water to small kids in elementary schools.   Yet, despite how simple and essential water is we can’t create a single drop of it.  We can produce it as a by product of others processes or convert it from other states (air vapor to liquid water), but we can’t produce one drop of water from nothing (at the present).  From a perspective of our understanding that’s a relatively simple concept that science understands thoroughly and yet eludes science completely.   I think that the simplicity of water can imply something greater at work.  Heck we’re attempting to scour the universe for other places that have water and haven’t been all that successful in our endeavors.

I have many problems with this, the least of which is that your analogy doesn't work very well: as you point out we can easily produce water (by mixing an acid with a base, for example, to get salt , water and heat). You suggest that producing a drop of water from nothing somehow "eludes" science; of course, that's false: science, quite convincingly, tells you that you can't violate the conservation of charge or energy. And, given enough time, it's almost certain that we will be able to take pure energy and convert it to cold, refreshing water.

I am curious what you mean when you say that water is "simple"? How is water simpler than, say, beryllium hydride (BeH2) or hydrogen fluoride (HF)? What, exactly, does "simple" mean in this context?

Well, I don’t have much to add here because that isn’t my position.  I’m a lifetime student and enjoy reading and learning.  I don’t subscribe to the naïve proposition of “why is the sky blue?  God.”  or "I can't answer a question so 'God'."  I fully believe that God is creator, but that isn't license to stop learning and seeking to understand.  Personally I think the Lord delights in our explorative efforts and findings therein.  Reason being, the more we discover of his creation the more we glorify him in the process.....just my opinion.

I know you consider yourself a lifetime student and that you enjoy both reading and learning new things, so please don't take this the wrong way. You may think that this isn't your position but, at the core, it has to be. If you believe in God, you believe that there exists a level, below which is the answer to the question "why?" is "God!" And if that's the case, then the answer to everything above, is, ultimately God, even if by proxy.

Let's use the "blue sky" example.

Why is the sky blue?
    - Because the molecules in our atmosphere scatter more blue light than red light.

Why do they do that? 
    - Because the wavelength of light we perceive as blue is shorter than the wavelength of light we perceive as red.

Now assume the "why" continues. We talk about more fundamental and deeper concepts of physics. At some point we'll get to the Big Bang. It's the best theory we have to explain the Universe. At this point, if you ask "why?" science says: "we don't know." But you, as a believer in God, don't. You say: "God!"

Let's be clear: your belief in God doesn't bother me. I don't care if you can provide a rational and consistent definition for your deity. I don't care if you think that it created the Earth 6,000 years ago or set the Big Bang in motion and let evolution run its course. You are free to believe whatever you want, provided you don't seek to impose your beliefs on others. I don't think you are, so we're cool.

What I am bothered by is the notion that supernatural revelation - which is the foundation of all religions - is another tool in our mental arsenal that we can use to understand the world around us.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 07:14:31 AM »
If they are well aware of the subject matter and the definitions for that subject matter are crystal clear and unambiguous.
I would agree with this, but "crystal clear" and "unambiguous" is often skewed by our worldviews and presuppositions (as we've discussed several times previously).   ;)

Good, accurate definitions don't allow the sort of wiggle room that you describe. If one side can't produce a clear, internally consistent and unambiguous definition, then it's not intellectual cowardice for the other side to point that out.
I would also agree that good definitions don’t allow wiggle room, but my position is that in an argument/debate/discussion it’s a convenient escape to simply deny a definition or pull the ole “what do you mean by [insert word]” ploy repeatedly.  I’ve seen it done in formal and informal debate for years.

If you're referring to the pentaquark, while I agree that it was an awesome and intriguing discovery, I'll point out that the pentaquark simply constitutes a new way for quarks to combine. But CERN certainly lets us explore existing theories and is helping us improve our understanding of the Universe.
It’s a freakin cool place with some amazing minds no doubt.

So to you the something like the Julia set proves God?

I honestly don’t know a thing about this so I couldn’t comment.  Thanks for the link!

I have many problems with this, the least of which is that your analogy doesn't work very well: as you point out we can easily produce water (by mixing an acid with a base, for example, to get salt , water and heat). You suggest that producing a drop of water from nothing somehow "eludes" science; of course, that's false: science, quite convincingly, tells you that you can't violate the conservation of charge or energy. And, given enough time, it's almost certain that we will be able to take pure energy and convert it to cold, refreshing water.

I certainly hope the scientific community is able to do that…..would help a ton of folks.    Time….the great irony.  It’s always on our side and yet we never have enough of it and don’t know if even another day of it is promised.

I am curious what you mean when you say that water is "simple"? How is water simpler than, say, beryllium hydride (BeH2) or hydrogen fluoride (HF)? What, exactly, does "simple" mean in this context?

Simple in that even small children can comprehend it’s basic chemistry.   Simple in terms of an organic chemistry classroom setting in university….it’s a “chapter 1”  molecule with basic hydrogen bonding….it’s typically one of the first molecular structures taught in a classroom (was when I took organic years ago).

I know you consider yourself a lifetime student and that you enjoy both reading and learning new things, so please don't take this the wrong way. You may think that this isn't your position but, at the core, it has to be. If you believe in God, you believe that there exists a level, below which is the answer to the question "why?" is "God!" And if that's the case, then the answer to everything above, is, ultimately God, even if by proxy.

God is always at the core of my position, but I don’t use God as an excuse for those things I don’t understand.  Even with God at my core I’ll still seek to understand the scientific “why” of things that interest me.

Let's use the "blue sky" example.

Why is the sky blue?
    - Because the molecules in our atmosphere scatter more blue light than red light.

Why do they do that?  
    - Because the wavelength of light we perceive as blue is shorter than the wavelength of light we perceive as red.

It’s funny you mentioned “why is the sky blue” because I studied this  at the beginning of summer one weekend.   In South Texas at the end of spring and early summer we had a TON of thunderstorms and in between the dark gray storms that weekend peaked through some blue sky.  I grasped the gray, but didn’t the blue so that lead me to understand it.

Now assume the "why" continues. We talk about more fundamental and deeper concepts of physics. At some point we'll get to the Big Bang. It's the best theory we have to explain the Universe. At this point, if you ask "why?" science says: "we don't know." But you, as a believer in God, don't. You say: "God!"

Let's be clear: your belief in God doesn't bother me. I don't care if you can provide a rational and consistent definition for your deity. I don't care if you think that it created the Earth 6,000 years ago or set the Big Bang in motion and let evolution run its course. You are free to believe whatever you want, provided you don't seek to impose your beliefs on others. I don't think you are, so we're cool.

What I am bothered by is the notion that supernatural revelation - which is the foundation of all religions - is another tool in our mental arsenal that we can use to understand the world around us.

And I appreciate the notion of “it’s the best explanation we have” and “given enough time hopefully we’ll find the answer”…..the scientific pursuit of the “why” will continue for many topics and it should.   The difference with me is I support these endeavors (I don’t grasp everything of course), but with God at my core my “why” is different.  Instead of just asking “why” I ask “why God [did you do that]”.

And so you know,  I’m not currently a young earth creationist…..I’m persuaded by an old earth creationist position.   I see evidence for an old universe, old earth and a Big Bang type event, but I don’t seek to eliminate the singularity behind it.  I desire to understand God’s mechanisms and scientific study is the best means to do so.  Yes, I know the source of the event, but I don’t use that as license to abandon the “scientific ship”.   I don’t have any hard feelings towards young earth creationists or feel they are any “less saved” than me LOL.   We agree on the gospel message of Christ.

I also see the evidence of micro evolution via speciation and microbial changes and agree with it.  Give that,  the now cliche “you’re a theist but you get a flu shot….that’s evolution moron” argument doesn’t work on me.  Now, I don’t see sufficient support for a macro evolution perspective (one kind of animal into another kind……”whale to a deer” or “deer to whale” as examples).  

Yes, I am a believer because I know without a doubt the reality of Jesus Christ in my life so I seek to harmonize scripture and science (where applicable of course).   Still, above all I seek to help lead others to Christ because I try and love folks with a Christ-like love regardless of differences in perspectives…..simple as that for me.  I don't pretend to be a scientist or expert in any scientific discipline.....just a regular guy that enjoys learning things and seeking answers to questions of interest to me.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »

Are you claiming that supernatural revelation is impossible?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 01:30:21 AM »
Are you claiming that supernatural revelation is impossible?

Supernatural revelation amounts to knowledge gained through some mystical, unknowable means. I am a scientist and a rational thinker. Draw your own conclusions about what I think about supernatural revelations.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 01:45:32 AM »
Supernatural revelation amounts to knowledge gained through some mystical, unknowable means. I am a scientist and a rational thinker. Draw your own conclusions about what I think about supernatural revelations.
don't you know that rational thinking is on the side of religion? At least in the history of philosophy you see that it has always been rational argument for the existence of God, and empirical criticism that doubts it.

But that's not really relevant to our discussion...

Could you give me a yes or no...   do you think supernatural revelation is possible? 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
don't you know that rational thinking is on the side of religion? At least in the history of philosophy you see that it has always been rational argument for the existence of God, and empirical criticism that doubts it.

No, rational thinking isn't on the side of religion. For example, it's not rational to posit that everything requires a creator and then, by vigorous handwaving, claim that the creator doesn't. Show me these rational arguments for the existence of God and let's see how rational they really are and how well they stand up to scrutiny.

But that's not really relevant to our discussion...

Could you give me a yes or no...   do you think supernatural revelation is possible?

You want a serious answer to the question: "is it possible to gain knowledge by mystical, unknowable means?"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 08:32:48 PM »
Just think about it. Are you absolutely sure that supernatural revelation is strictly impossible? 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 02:13:10 AM »
Just think about it. Are you absolutely sure that supernatural revelation is strictly impossible?

I'm unsure how thinking can help when dealing with something that's outside the realm of the natu... wait a second! I am receiving some kind of transmission... the signal is being directed to my third eye... Why, I don't believe it... It's an actual, bona-fide supernatural revelation! It's hard to make out what it says... It just keeps repeating:

"THIS COLOMBUS DAY, GET 20 PERCENT OFF YOUR PURCAHSE AT KOHL'S WHEN YOU USE PROMO CODE COLOMBUS20!"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
I don't think you understand the nature of supernatural revelation.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »
I don't think you understand the nature of supernatural revelation.

Oh? Well, then by all means, please enlighten me... tell me how you gained knowledge in an unknowable way!

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
why cant have God created evolution?

can't it be the answer to how and not why?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
Oh? Well, then by all means, please enlighten me... tell me how you gained knowledge in an unknowable way!
  I just want to play a thought experiment with you for a moment.

Lets say you met your great, great, great grandfather. You know that he died a long time ago. But one day he shows up, and he tells you all about himself, tells you stuff about his life that you had never known about. Well, he leaves, you never see him again. You start to wonder whether it was a hallucination.. so you look into the details of his life that he told you. Turns out, all the stuff he talked about actually happened! there is no way what you experienced could have been a hallucination! 

Now, there is definitely a way in which this experience is 'unknowable'. How in the world did your dead ancestor come back to life and tell you about the events of history?  It is unknowable. But one thing you do know: he did come back to life and he did tell you events of his history.

IN this case, you would have experienced a supernatural revelation. And you could not doubt with any seriousness that you had experienced a supernatural revelation. You might tell someone about your experience, and they may say "impossible!" supernatural revelation is impossible!  but you would say... well, I know its possible because I experienced it.

Make sense?

Do you still think that supernatural revelation is impossible?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
I just want to play a thought experiment with you for a moment.

As long as bunny suits aren't involved...

Lets say you met your great, great, great grandfather. You know that he died a long time ago. But one day he shows up, and he tells you all about himself, tells you stuff about his life that you had never known about. Well, he leaves, you never see him again. You start to wonder whether it was a hallucination.. so you look into the details of his life that he told you. Turns out, all the stuff he talked about actually happened! there is no way what you experienced could have been a hallucination!

Yes - no way. Because, you couldn't possibly have known all this stuff the "apparition" told you but had simply forgotten them (which happens all the time) or simply made some reasonable educated guesses and inferences (which people do all the time, often with stunning accuracy).

Yeah, all that is impossible. It was a long-distance FaceTime call from the afterlife. Makes perfect sense.

Now, there is definitely a way in which this experience is 'unknowable'. How in the world did your dead ancestor come back to life and tell you about the events of history?  It is unknowable. But one thing you do know: he did come back to life and he did tell you events of his history.

I don't think I know he came back to life and told me the events of his story. At best, in this story you're making up, what I actually know is that I perceived an apparition of my long-dead relative apparently communicate with me.

As a rational person, who realizes how extraordinary such an event would be and how much more likely it is that it was a dream or some kind of hallucination, I would avoid jumping to conclusions.

IN this case, you would have experienced a supernatural revelation.

Maybe. Or I could have experienced a dream. Or a hallucination. Or even a stroke. If people can have strokes and wake up speaking with heavy foreign accents, then surely visions of long-dead ancestors aren't that far fetched.

And you could not doubt with any seriousness that you had experienced a supernatural revelation.

Huh... I thought I just did.

You might tell someone about your experience, and they may say "impossible!" supernatural revelation is impossible!

If I told someone, I wouldn't make fantastical claims about communicating with ghosts. I'd say "I had a weird experience where I was talking with a relative who died long ago."

but you would say... well, I know its possible because I experienced it.

When I was younger, I had a very high fever and was drifting in and out of consciousness. As my Mother tried to help me cool down, I hallucinated that I was on a beach in Hawaii. It was very real to me - I could smell the salt in the air. I could feel the sand under my feet and the sun on my skin. And yet, it was a hallucination.

Despite how real it felt at the time – and how vivid the memory is to this day – I can't reasonably claim that I was in Hawaii, enjoying the beach.

Do you still think that supernatural revelation is impossible?

Yes. I have seen no credible evidence – nor has anyone presented any – that supernatural revelation exists or even likely. Nobody has managed to successfully "receive" knowledge supernaturally and all evidence for such communications are, at best, anecdotal.

Most of the experiences that people describe are either wishful thinking (I prayed that my son would make it through his surgery and felt that Jesus was watching over him! And guess what, he made it through!") or hallucinations and cognitive or processing faults ("I was in a car accident. As I was close to dying, I saw a white light, and I was drawn to it but then I heard a voice telling me it's not my time. Next thing I know, I came to and the paramedics were putting in an IV").