Author Topic: What would you pay for this meal?  (Read 3454 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
What would you pay for this meal?
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:57:18 PM »

A New Jersey restaurateur is closing his two side-by-side restaurants and looking to set up shop in Manhattan. For the final month of his lease, he is allowing patrons to order whatever they please and pay  whatever they feel like.

Would you go and get a great deal? Would you try to  pay what you thought the original menu prices were?  Would it be too stressful for you to come up with your own pricing system?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/17/what-would-you-pay-for-this-meal/?ref=todayspaperahttp%3A%2F%2Fwell.blogs.nytimes.com%2F2015%2F08%2F17%2Fwhat-would-you-pay-for-this-meal%2F&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

the_swami

• Getbig IV
Re: What would you pay for this meal?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
wtf is that?

looks like a dried up dog turd

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:59 PM »
Isnt that a plate dinner off that book,  how to cook and bake with sperm?  :-X

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »
'bout three fifty
a

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:16:08 PM »
$1.50?
X

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »
Meal?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »

A New Jersey restaurateur is closing his two side-by-side restaurants and looking to set up shop in Manhattan. For the final month of his lease, he is allowing patrons to order whatever they please and pay  whatever they feel like.

Would you go and get a great deal? Would you try to  pay what you thought the original menu prices were?  Would it be too stressful for you to come up with your own pricing system?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/17/what-would-you-pay-for-this-meal/?ref=todayspaperahttp%3A%2F%2Fwell.blogs.nytimes.com%2F2015%2F08%2F17%2Fwhat-would-you-pay-for-this-meal%2F&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Id pay $4. In reality it's probably around $18-20

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 12:45:04 AM »
i gave up traditional meals when met-rx was introduced.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:34:57 AM »
Can't stand high end cuisine... All presentation, 0 substance.

Interesting business approach. They just need one person to go in there, drop big bucks and the rest of the sheople will follow making it a trend.
?

goku

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:35 AM »
looks like something my dog would spew up.
foam and small chunks of food.

why would anyone value foam to be part of a meal? if you can call that a meal.

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 06:55:26 AM »
Can't stand high end cuisine... All presentation, 0 substance.

Interesting business approach. They just need one person to go in there, drop big bucks and the rest of the sheople will follow making it a trend.

x2

It's a con most of the time. Give a restaurant a classy interior and strict dress code, serve the food in tiny but well presented quantities, slap a ridiculous price on all the food and drink and VOILA, you create "fine dining". :-\

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 06:58:44 AM »
I'd pay the same as I do for Asian hookers.  $5-$10.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 08:10:13 AM »
x2

It's a con most of the time. Give a restaurant a classy interior and strict dress code, serve the food in tiny but well presented quantities, slap a ridiculous price on all the food and drink and VOILA, you create "fine dining". :-\

Absolutely not. I used to think there wasn't a difference between mid-market and upscale food, but once you start experimenting, it is a glaring difference. Of course, there are hit-or-miss establishments, but even the difference between a $20 meal and a $60 meal is pretty pronounced.

That being said, the meal in the pic was not originally priced to be high end. Both restaurants were in the $15-30 price range according to the article.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »
Absolutely not. I used to think there wasn't a difference between mid-market and upscale food, but once you start experimenting, it is a glaring difference. Of course, there are hit-or-miss establishments, but even the difference between a $20 meal and a $60 meal is pretty pronounced.

That being said, the meal in the pic was not originally priced to be high end. Both restaurants were in the $15-30 price range according to the article.

then why do burgers, fries and pizza suck at high en places?
?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:44 AM »

Inspired stuff.  This is how it's done.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »

Even the relatively modest price difference between a place like McDonald's and Five Guys makes a drastically different burger. There's a restaurant we go to here in NYC semi-frequently called Balthazar which is "affordable upscale", and they are far-and-away my favorite burger in the city and they serve pomme frites style fries, which are delicious.

I don't generally order food like burgers when at a higher end restaurants, but the difference between a higher end version and a more economical version probably isn't that pronounced because the burger is a humble food by nature. When talking about foods like fish and steak or dishes that are labor intensive, forget it. It's not even worth debating.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 08:36:50 AM »
Even the relatively modest price difference between a place like McDonald's and Five Guys makes a drastically different burger. There's a restaurant we go to here in NYC semi-frequently called Balthazar which is "affordable upscale", and they are far-and-away my favorite burger in the city and they serve pomme frites style fries, which are delicious.

I don't generally order food like burgers when at a higher end restaurants, but the difference between a higher end version and a more economical version probably isn't that pronounced because the burger is a humble food by nature. When talking about foods like fish and steak or dishes that are labor intensive, forget it. It's not even worth debating.

I was gonna say that a steak is the ONLY thing I'd have at a high end place.

But 5 guys is pure slop between buns. Pubs often have the best burgers. Fairly priced also.
?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »
I was gonna say that a steak is the ONLY thing I'd have at a high end place.

But 5 guys is pure slop between buns. Pubs often have the best burgers. Fairly priced also.

Had roasted marrow bones for the first time earlier this year. So delicious!

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 08:47:15 AM »

I've been to quite a few high end restaurants in London and while I agree the food is clearly superior to the mid or lower tier restaurants, I've always felt the often ridiculous prices were more done just to keep the place exclusive. It's hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a meal no matter how good it tastes.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »
food is for faggets

and boy do I love food
a

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
how much is a glass of wine at a high end place?
$40?
?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »
I've been to quite a few high end restaurants in London and while I agree the food is clearly superior to the mid or lower tier restaurants, I've always felt the often ridiculous prices were more done just to keep the place exclusive. It's hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a meal no matter how good it tastes.

Yeah, I guess I don't really disagree with you there. Once you get to a certain price point, there's just a lot of pretense and hullabaloo trying to justify an inflated price tag, but that's sort of the point. It's supposed to be an experience. I'm not a food snob at all and have had great meals at all kinds of restaurants, but on the occasions when I eat at a more expensive restaurant I do get a little more excited.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
how much is a glass of wine at a high end place?
$40?

The discerning diner ensures that both the server and sommelier are present before letting his preferences be known.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »

I'm in New York city...I've heard of Balthazar's..where exactly is it..I'd like to try that burger