Author Topic: Fritted glass Buchner filter funnels and cleaning  (Read 904 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Fritted glass Buchner filter funnels and cleaning
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:21:21 AM »
For guys that are brewing with these types of bottle top filters, I was curious how you go about cleaning the coarse filter in the unit? Some guys seem to get away with just running hot water in reverse and using ISO or Everclear after while others advocate using some type of acid. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jizmo

• Getbig IV
  • getbigbrah
Re: Fritted glass Buchner filter funnels and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:42:21 AM »
no idea of the filters you use there but most (nalgene etc) are just good for 1000ml anyway, so you would brew that at a time and then trash it

if the ones you use are good for more you could dilute warm water with vinegar or pure ethanol and let it sit for a couple mins (if theres no rubber that could be eaten away by that)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:32:39 AM »
I was going to use .22 um, 47 mm PDFV or PTFE filter membranes. My main concern was cleaning the oil from the course fritted #3 filter that comes attached to the Buchner funnel.

I'll try and post a pic later if that would help.

Jizmo

• Getbig IV
  • getbigbrah
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:59:21 AM »
i think youre overthinking this
just rinse with hot water a couple times

its not like the oil is gonna do harm in there. the tiny remainings of the oil somewhere in the filter are not gonna rot and contaminate your whole gear anyway

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:31:19 AM »
i think youre overthinking this
just rinse with hot water a couple times

its not like the oil is gonna do harm in there. the tiny remainings of the oil somewhere in the filter are not gonna rot and contaminate your whole gear anyway

Yeah I wasn't worried about rotting I was worried about those bit of oil accumulating and making the pour more difficult as time goes by. Just want to avoid future problems and the need to replace the funnel earlier then is necessary.