Author Topic: Introduction: My BB journey from 1986 to now...  (Read 4711 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Introduction: My BB journey from 1986 to now...
« on: August 27, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
Hi, I recently started posting on the G&O but really I think I belong here, so here we go...

So I got into BB in the late 80's.  Ran a boutique gym from 90-94 - ~5000sq ft - ground floor was sprung & clear for aerobics/TaeKwonDo/yoga/etc. - 1st floor was aerobics/steppers/treadmill/etc. plus a sunbed room.  Top floor was fully equipped with Competition Line machines / Smith / Dumbells / etc. (RIP Karl))  It was a beautiful set-up, seriously - best years of my life...!  Then the UK Business Rate Tax kicked in and ruined me (Whatever rent I negotiated with the Landlord was ignored and I was taxed at 25% of 'true market rate' - unsustainable!!)  :(  So I closed down and ignored the scene in an almighty huff for 20 years.  Got a career, bought a house, raised a family, you know the deal....

Flash forward to early 2014 - a funeral - I meet up with 'the old faces' (i.e. everyone that used to be a bouncer/drug dealer) and we started to talk about the number of BB's that we used to admire/meet that have since apparently f*cking DIED!!!!  I had no idea this was happening!  OK, I was on the scene for Momo and Muntzer, but I had no idea about Matarazzo, Nasser, Flex(kidney), etc etc etc...

So someone recommends I search GetBig for the latest.... and here I am....  hoping to reminisce about the 80's in a few threads if I may be indulged - so watch this space  :) :) :)

T

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Re: Introduction: My BB journey from 1986 to now...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
Howdy!  :D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:55 AM »
welcome aboard , post some pics of your gym if you feel so inclined,,many members here would be very interested.., this unllike the main board remains pretty civil.. :D :D :D
F

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:01:51 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've been meaning to scan a bunch of pics from back then so it looks like a trip to the attic for me to dig out some memories!  :)
T

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »
that's the purpose of this section of getbig.... who'd of thought that vince's gym equipment is preserved for posterity..
F

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:06:59 AM »
Hi All,

I spent a significant portion of the weekend starting to work my way through the stickies on this board.  Some amazing stories there so far, and I've only just started to scratch the surface!  It's funny because, like a lot of people I suppose, my favourite magazine sections were always the 'behind the scenes'/gossip style sections.  So this board is a real treasure trove for someone like me  :)

So I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to the various historical threads over the years

(ps - I am so glad I have an old fashioned phone and can't access this site on the move/at work, or else my productivity would take a real dive  :D )
T