Author Topic: What percentage of steroid users die early?  (Read 2809 times)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
What percentage of steroid users die early?
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »
We see posts here all the time.  But we also see many many pros still around who were hammering the sauce.  And that's just pros, not the hundreds of thousands of lower level dudes and gym juicers. 

I think it is a small percentage.  For Christ sake Arnold is still kicking.

adamhatfield99

Re: What percentage of steroid users die early?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
Tim Fogarty may have a method to analyze that.  I am fairly certain I read on his page that he is an engineer.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:22:24 PM »
We see posts here all the time.  But we also see many many pros still around who were hammering the sauce.  And that's just pros, not the hundreds of thousands of lower level dudes and gym juicers. 

The pro's from the 70's seem to be holding up.

The guys from the 90's are having problems.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »
Well, how would you know someone died earlier than they would have without the steroids?
And how would you know how many months or years they lost due to steroid use?
And what is a steroid steroid user? Someone who did a cycle or 2 or 3 in their lives or someone who used continually from say 17 to whenever they expired?

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »
A pretty good chance the guys from the 90's that are having drug related health issues are from other drugs than steroids.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:07:47 PM »
A pretty good chance the guys from the 90's that are having drug related health issues are from other drugs than steroids.
1995 Mr. O:
1   $110,000   England Dorian Yates [1]
2   $50,000   United States Kevin Levrone
3   $30,000   Egypt Nasser El Sonbaty
4   $25,000   United States Shawn Ray
5   $15,000   United States Vince Taylor
6   $12,000   United States Chris Cormier
7   $8,000   United States Mike Francois
8   $7,000   United States Flex Wheeler
9   $6,000   United States Aaron Baker
10   $5,000   Barbados Charles Clairmonte
11      United States Ronnie Coleman
12      United States Paul DeMayo
13      Australia Sonny Schmidt
14      England Ian Harrison
15      Trinidad and Tobago Darrem Charles
15      Czech Republic Pavel Jablonicky

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »

Those guys had access to sports doctors who used blood tests to determine doses.  When the powers that be made it hard for doctors to offer controlled cycles, they took away the moderating influence.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:48 PM »
What else came around in the early 90's?

Think about it....

Creatine.

Stop blaming steroids, and open your eyes.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:57:32 PM »
About three fiddy

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:02:54 AM »
A lotta guys from the 90s dropped dead in their 40s and 50s meanwhile. The rest of em will be gone in their 60s at the latest (Yates, Wheeler etc).

Most of em have shortened their life due to steroides between 25 to 35 years I guess.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:37 AM »
A lotta guys from the 90s dropped dead in their 40s and 50s meanwhile. The rest of em will be gone in their 60s at the latest (Yates, Wheeler etc).

Most of em have shortened their life due to steroides between 25 to 35 years I guess.

I think expensive medicine will save mots of them. Oh.. I forgot that most are broke, so.. nevermind.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
Those guys had access to sports doctors who used blood tests to determine doses.  When the powers that be made it hard for doctors to offer controlled cycles, they took away the moderating influence.

Who had access to "sports doctors"? Certainly not any bodybuilders. They had normal physicians writing scripts for drugs they didn't know much about at all. In Arnold's time they knew fuck all about steroids and there were no "tests to determine dosage."

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
Who had access to "sports doctors"? Certainly not any bodybuilders. They had normal physicians writing scripts for drugs they didn't know much about at all. In Arnold's time they knew fuck all about steroids and there were no "tests to determine dosage."

LOL! No kidding... They just took it by the handful or doses just below nose bleed levels.
But they took time off as it's obvious is pics. Arnold looked horrible off gear.
?

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 12:47:48 AM »

Just about 100% of the bodybuilders who use modern gear and insulin will die early. Not more than that  ;D

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:39 AM »
A lot less than chain smoking boozers...

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 01:30:11 AM »
A lot less than chain smoking boozers...

And this is proved how exactly? Where is the autopsy reports which tell that single reason of death was steroids? And what if we doesn't need information per capita, but per user? And if there is few million smokers just in the USA and few thousand bodybuilders abusing gear all over the world, can you really compare them just like that?

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 04:12:56 AM »
Here's a good one...

In high school I read a book in our school's library. I can't recall exactly what the book was called, but there was a part on side effect of steroids and it said "Loss of limbs."

Will never forget that.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 04:18:56 AM »
there are worse things than death, like getting psychologically fucked up, like, I don't know, having your insides malfunction.

you don't die from weed neither but it can potentially give you a dozen problems.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 04:20:25 AM »
Here's a good one...

In high school I read a book in our school's library. I can't recall exactly what the book was called, but there was a part on side effect of steroids and it said "Loss of limbs."

Will never forget that.

Did it mean you gain guns for arms and tree trunks for legs?

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 04:58:57 AM »
The morning news will fuck with your head more than any creatine or sterons.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 06:21:41 AM »

Arnold who took huge boatloads since his mid teens is 68.  Frank Zane who also has been using for decades is 73.  Living into your 60s or ealry 70s is about par for the course.

People discount the positives that might balance out the negatives, things like not being fat, not smoking, avoiding alcohol for the most part, education on nutrition and health.  Getting in to a gym lifestyle rather than a couch lifestyle is a good deal.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 06:28:01 AM »

Good question.

I think we should ask them, but most seem to have died already, so wtf. ;)

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
LOL! No kidding... They just took it by the handful or doses just below nose bleed levels.
But they took time off as it's obvious is pics. Arnold looked horrible off gear.

Good point right here.
Mr. AZ 2003

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 12:26:12 PM »
Arnold who took huge boatloads since his mid teens is 68.  Frank Zane who also has been using for decades is 73.  Living into your 60s or ealry 70s is about par for the course.

People discount the positives that might balance out the negatives, things like not being fat, not smoking, avoiding alcohol for the most part, education on nutrition and health.  Getting in to a gym lifestyle rather than a couch lifestyle is a good deal.

Arnold has undergone several severe heart surgeries to expand his life, also you can be sure that he gets the absolute best medical care that money can buy on this planet (probably being monitored at a monthly basis for all kinds of troubles to counteract). If he was a "normal dude" with his history of abuse he'd probably be gone by now.

And for Zane: You really think the dosages Zane did back in his days are comparable to the guys from the 90s or today? (Yates, Nasser, Wheeler, Kai....lol) I don't think so.

There's only one immortal BB who will outlive all of us, and that's Ruhl. The vast majority of the other guys will be gone in their 40s, 50s or 60s the latest.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
Coincidently, a researcher from a university contacted me a few months back to help create a list of pro bodybuilders for a study on life expectancies of pro athletes.  Peer review can take a while so not sure when it will be out.

My guess is that anabolic steroids have both good and bad effects, so by themselves there is not going to be a statistical difference in life expectancy.  Steroids, growth hormone, insulin, diuretics, and the rest, probably more so.

Of course the problem with any study is correlation is not causation.  Do pro athletes use recreational drugs at the same levels as the general public?  (how many pro athletes use stimulants as a performance enhancing drug?) What toll does extreme training, or in the case of bodybuilders, extreme dieting, have on your heath?