Author Topic: Gino's East Chicago Pizzeria - Just had my first Chicago style pizza - review  (Read 4608 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
I heard so much about the amazing, flaky crust and the sweet, delicious sauce and the thick layer of cheese and savory meats piled high.

LOL!!  ::)

It was garbage.  Now, if you like a "pizza crust" that is essentially stale Bisquik biscuit mix that is 3 inches tall and and 2 inches thick you're in luck!!   If you enjoy an extra thick pizza sauce with huge chunks of vegetables then you're in luck!!

I heard so much about the cheese volume, but I found the "pizza" to lack cheese.  Plus, I'm not a canadian bacon or salami fan so I didn't like the meats; plus, the sausage used had no flavor.  Further the volume of "piled high meats" was basically lacking....it was all stale biscuit and chunky sauce.   :P :P :P :-X :-X :-X

All in all, it was a huge, stale biscuit topped with too little mozz cheese that was heavy on deli meats I don't enjoy and the equivalent of an extra, chunky italian salsa as "pizza sauce".    :P :P :P :-X :-X :-X

All that and it took 1.5 hours to make!

If that is real Chicago pizza that people are "raving about" then people are flat out stupid LOL.

Make mine NY style pizza forever!!

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
Whoever told you to go there is an asshole. That is by far the worst tourist trap as far as pizza places go. Their food is known to be frozen and reheated. It's garbage and I promise there's far better pizza to be had.

Connies
Lou Malnati
Pizza Oro

And a number of others that are actual Chicago pizzerias. Fino's is disgusting.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Whoever told you to go there is an asshole. That is by far the worst tourist trap as far as pizza places go. Their food is known to be frozen and reheated. It's garbage and I promise there's far better pizza to be had.

Connies
Lou Malnati
Pizza Oro

And a number of others that are actual Chicago pizzerias. Fino's is disgusting.

I'm actually relieved to read this.   That stuff was freakin worthless....and I was the only one at the table that thought so.

The waiter actually told us that everything is made from scratch LOL.  Two possibilities:  one, they don't know what "scratch" means; two, their scratch cooking is awful.

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
*Gino's

Yeah, no they're awful. It really is the absolute worst place to eat pizza at. Lou's is pretty quintessential as far as deep dish goes.

Are you still in Chicago?

There's a place near Chinatown called Ricobene's. They've been open since 1942 and make great pizza too. They also hold the title for the "Best Sandwich in the World" for their breaded steak. That's a Chicagoan tradition as far as food goes as well.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Why can't anyone make an honest NY style pizza on the west coast? Never had anything here that tasted like it does there.

Why?

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Waiting and looking forward to MOS review of either Connie's or Pizza Oro!

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
I've had giordano's pizza a couple time in Chicago

Not really a fan of waiting an hour plus for the pizza to come out of the oven, but 2 slice and your full

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Why can't anyone make an honest NY style pizza on the west coast? Never had anything here that tasted like it does there.

Why?

Where you at on the west coast?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Where you at on the west coast?

San Bernardino right now. Temporarily, I'm hoping.

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III

Why?

Milana's NY Style in Downtown LBC is a good spot. Neighborhood has really gone to shit but nevertheless.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
MOS - having the internet is supposed to prevent these kind of mistakes.

Shame.
Y

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
San Bernardino right now. Temporarily, I'm hoping.

Sorry I'm no help, someone on here is probably familiar with that area tho.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Milana's NY Style in Downtown LBC is a good spot. Neighborhood has really gone to shit but nevertheless.

There next weekend for a concert, I'll look it up. Thanks.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
One of the best roast beef sandwich I had was at luckys across from Wrigley field mmm mm mmmm

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
There next weekend for a concert, I'll look it up. Thanks.

Sure thing. There's metered parking in front and it's a little hard to get around if you're taking public transit, get off the blue line at 5th street or take the Passport C

Again, forewarned ghetto people tend to congregate as there is a Wal-Mart right there. On the brightside you can get your bootleg DVDs, gold chains and anything else your heart desires on one corner. Haha

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
One of the best roast beef sandwich I had was at luckys across from Wrigley field mmm mm mmmm

I'll have to look that place up. With all the construction at Wrigley the local restaurants keep getting shut down because the rats are migrating to them.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
I heard so much about the amazing, flaky crust and the sweet, delicious sauce and the thick layer of cheese and savory meats piled high.

LOL!!  ::)

It was garbage.  Now, if you like a "pizza crust" that is essentially stale Bisquik biscuit mix that is 3 inches tall and and 2 inches thick you're in luck!!   If you enjoy an extra thick pizza sauce with huge chunks of vegetables then you're in luck!!

I heard so much about the cheese volume, but I found the "pizza" to lack cheese.  Plus, I'm not a canadian bacon or salami fan so I didn't like the meats; plus, the sausage used had no flavor.  Further the volume of "piled high meats" was basically lacking....it was all stale biscuit and chunky sauce.   :P :P :P :-X :-X :-X

All in all, it was a huge, stale biscuit topped with too little mozz cheese that was heavy on deli meats I don't enjoy and the equivalent of an extra, chunky italian salsa as "pizza sauce".    :P :P :P :-X :-X :-X

All that and it took 1.5 hours to make!

If that is real Chicago pizza that people are "raving about" then people are flat out stupid LOL.

Make mine NY style pizza forever!!
My mother in law recently had the same experience with the "famous" Chicago style pizza.
T

Anemia

Chicago-style pizza is disgusting. NY style is the best.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
Whats the best pizza place near the Magnificent Mile that won't cut into my $800 Porsche lease payment?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
Stop with this torture, my last pizza was in Jan. 2012   :-\ :'(

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Giordano's any good? I've had their stuff delivered to on dry ice to New England, to me is was "just OK"...
Not sure if there's a difference when you order it there and fresh?

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
Giordano's any good? I've had their stuff delivered to on dry ice to New England, to me is was "just OK"...
Not sure if there's a difference when you order it there and fresh?

Eh depends. I liked them but what was once a great family business has become more corporate. So more quantity less quality.

Lou Malnati's for deep dish, Pizano's for thin crust. Pequod's is also a local favorite too. But hands down best pizza is Connie's. They have two locations and are fantastic. You can also get them shipped to you and they don't compromise quality. Still a family business.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Nyc pizza all the way
Lombards
Original Rays
Original grimaldis under the bridge
Da farras
Spumoni gardens
Totonnos
Johns bleeker
Patsy's
w

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
We get Domino's here and a few decent Italian places, you guys are lucky living in America having so much food choice

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom

Why?

The fuck you're talking about?  There's some killer places here in SD.  One place called Bronx pizza is killer.  Even Ny'ers claim it to be just as good as NYC pizza.  Another place is near the beach called Bongiorno's.  Awesome pie. 

Regards to Geno's.  The flash freeze their crusts so they save time on prepping.