Author Topic: Gino's East Chicago Pizzeria - Just had my first Chicago style pizza - review  (Read 4602 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
The fuck you're talking about?  There's some killer places here in SD.  One place called Bronx pizza is killer.  Even Ny'ers claim it to be just as good as NYC pizza.  Another place is near the beach called Bongiorno's.  Awesome pie.  

Regards to Geno's.  The flash freeze their crusts so they save time on prepping.  

First I've heard.

Edit: Just Yelped it - damn, gotta try this place.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
First I've heard.

Even LA has some amazing places.  Not "California" style but straight up Bronx style pie.  The only places to stay away from are the places called "NY Pizza" , "Giant NY Pizza"  or any place that calls themselves NY Pizza because they just make shit thin crust pizza.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Even LA has some amazing places.  Not "California" style but straight up Bronx style pie.  The only places to stay away from are the places called "NY Pizza" , "Giant NY Pizza"  or any place that calls themselves NY Pizza because they just make shit thin crust pizza.

So 'Bronx style' is specifically what to look for?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Sure thing. There's metered parking in front and it's a little hard to get around if you're taking public transit, get off the blue line at 5th street or take the Passport C

Again, forewarned ghetto people tend to congregate as there is a Wal-Mart right there. On the brightside you can get your bootleg DVDs, gold chains and anything else your heart desires on one corner. Haha

Your innate and encyclopedic knowledge of Chicago is making it hard for me to continue having the opinion that your are a gimmick account of a short, fat, muscle-less paki shut-in in London.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
So 'Bronx style' is specifically what to look for?

Just the places with NY in the same.  It's strange but the truth.  But Bongiorno's in Solana Beach also rocks.  There are a couple other's with the same name but they aren't the same pie.  If you like good old school Chicago style check out Yelp for Lefty's pizza in North Park.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
NYC pizza doesnt have to rely on all that shit to make their pizza good like Chicago.

Just good tomato sauce and youre good to go.
X

Anemia

NYC pizza doesnt have to rely on all that shit to make their pizza good like Chicago.

Just good tomato sauce and youre good to go.

wow you break the code every time. Do you work in corporate marketing?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
wow you break the code every time. Do you work in corporate marketing?

Some consider me a business magnate.
X

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: Gino's East Chicago Pizzeria - Just had my first Chicago style pizza - review
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 08:09:16 AM »
Chicago pizza is not even pizza but more like a pastry.  Chicago people only rave about it because it has "Chicago" in the name.  Put anyone in a room with a good thin crust with quality sauce and Moz next to those thick monstrosities and 99/100 will grab the thin crust slice.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Gino's East Chicago Pizzeria - Just had my first Chicago style pizza - review
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 08:18:59 AM »
Chicago pizza is not even pizza but more like a pastry.  Chicago people only rave about it because it has "Chicago" in the name.  Put anyone in a room with a good thin crust with quality sauce and Moz next to those thick monstrosities and 99/100 will grab the thin crust slice.

I'll take thin every time, but for me it's more the cheese than the sauce.

Bear232

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 08:34:20 AM »
When i lived there, gino's east was routinely shut down due to roach and rat problems.   

Lou malnatis is the best pizza hands down.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 08:39:34 AM »
I heard so much about the amazing, flaky crust and the sweet, delicious sauce and the thick layer of cheese and savory meats piled high.

LOL!!  ::)

It was garbage.  Now, if you like a "pizza crust" that is essentially stale Bisquik biscuit mix that is 3 inches tall and and 2 inches thick you're in luck!!   If you enjoy an extra thick pizza sauce with huge chunks of vegetables then you're in luck!!

I heard so much about the cheese volume, but I found the "pizza" to lack cheese.  Plus, I'm not a canadian bacon or salami fan so I didn't like the meats; plus, the sausage used had no flavor.  Further the volume of "piled high meats" was basically lacking....it was all stale biscuit and chunky sauce.   :P :P :P :-X :-X :-X

All in all, it was a huge, stale biscuit topped with too little mozz cheese that was heavy on deli meats I don't enjoy and the equivalent of an extra, chunky italian salsa as "pizza sauce".    :P :P :P :-X :-X :-X

All that and it took 1.5 hours to make!

If that is real Chicago pizza that people are "raving about" then people are flat out stupid LOL.

Make mine NY style pizza forever!!

the sad part is that Gino's East at one place tastes completely different at another.  they all get their ingredients from different places now.  plus a corn meal crust pizza that thick has to be cooked perfectly.  there is very little room for error.  that's why I like to carry out half baked pizza's and cook it the rest of the way at home.

which Gino's did you go to?

also Lou Malnatis is the best pizza around.  but if you go to the right Gino's and they cook it perfectly they're almost impossible to beat.