Author Topic: If Trump wins GOP nomination, would that be the end of the GOP as we know it?  (Read 10436 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: If Trump wins GOP nomination, would that be the end of the GOP as we know it?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
Or he is trying to improve his brand and make more money, which he is very good at.  I'm rolling with Option C.   :)

meaning that he's not serious about being president

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: If Trump wins GOP nomination, would that be the end of the GOP as we know it?
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 04:20:11 PM »
meaning that he's not serious about being president

Yeah.  True.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »
LOL yeah, you're hard-hitting questions and insights had me up against the ropes  ::)

;D

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
Yeah.  True.

yes, if he isn't serious then i doubt he's too concerned about it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Or he is trying to improve his brand and make more money, which he is very good at.  I'm rolling with Option C.   :)

you still think he's going to back out?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
yes, if he isn't serious then i doubt he's too concerned about it.

No way does he want to have to actually put in the work it takes to be president on a day-to-day basis.  Having to follow rules.  Having to build consensus.  That's not the kind of person he is. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
No way does he want to have to actually put in the work it takes to be president on a day-to-day basis.  Having to follow rules.  Having to build consensus.  That's not the kind of person he is. 

i can see his egotistical self wanting title of "leader of the free world", though.. and i can see how his actions could work toward that (despite seeming just the opposite at first glance)..

but it's either on or off.  either he's making a serious move for it or he's not, and only time will tell.  deep down, though, i think you're probably right.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »
i can see his egotistical self wanting title of "leader of the free world", though.. and i can see how his actions could work toward that (despite seeming just the opposite at first glance)..

but it's either on or off.  either he's making a serious move for it or he's not, and only time will tell.  deep down, though, i think you're probably right.

Oh I agree he'd love to have the title.  I just don't see him having the traits necessary to make it happen. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 05:10:34 PM »
Oh I agree he'd love to have the title.  I just don't see him having the traits necessary to make it happen. 

what about obama?  what does obama have that trump doesn't?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »
what about obama?  what does obama have that trump doesn't?

A cult-like following?  The ability to read a great speech from a teleprompter.  An economic meltdown helping pave the way.  The MSM in his back pocket. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2015, 05:16:48 PM »
A cult-like following?  

Seriously, no offence, but anyone that doesn't see trump following republicans as a cult, I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Repubs supporting trump have ABANDONED the conservative ideals they spouted since 2010.  Abandoned.  Just walked away from them.  The guy is a liberal, and doesn't even pretend he's a conservative suddenly.

And you know i'm right, because any time I point it out, the response is always "but but YOU had obama fever, you'd know..."  Attack the messenger when you know you can't debate the message...

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
A cult-like following?

have to admit trump has made some ground in that department.

The ability to read a great speech from a teleprompter.  An economic meltdown helping pave the way.  The MSM in his back pocket.

yes, this is why it struck me that trump may be using negative attention as a way to gain ground, because he knows anything other than that will only get him ignored.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »

have to admit trump has made some ground in that department.

yes, this is why it struck me that trump may be using negative attention as a way to gain ground, because he knows anything other than that will only get him ignored.

Meh.  I haven't seen it.  A lot of people love the fact he is giving the establishment a big "f you," but that's a far cry from the devotion showed by Obama's followers.  Talk to a Trump supporter and an Obamabot.  Not much of a comparison.  I doubt we will see an educated commentator in the MSM comparing Trump to Jesus Christ. 

I'm sure Trump knows that all press is essentially good press for him and his branding. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:33 PM »
Meh.  I haven't seen it.  A lot of people love the fact he is giving the establishment a big "f you," but that's a far cry from the devotion showed by Obama's followers.  Talk to a Trump supporter and an Obamabot.  Not much of a comparison.  I doubt we will see an educated commentator in the MSM comparing Trump to Jesus Christ. 

I'm sure Trump knows that all press is essentially good press for him and his branding. 

the people figuring that he must be a saint because he's black.  yes, that's true.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
trump may be beating media in its game.. but i know it's wishful to think we could be watching the information coup of a lifetime.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »
"The MSM in his back pocket. "

Trump has FOX News in his back pocket.  He's mean to them, and they worship him.  Think about Megyn kelly getting a 2 week suspension for upsetting poor donald lol... the #1 voice (essentially tied with Bill O'Lielly) on the #1 cable news network) - and trump just shit all over her.   he can make a period joke and SHE was the one getting suspeneded for it.

So yes, trump has the MSM in his pocket.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 06:04:27 PM »
But the thing is the  idea of being a Democrat is a lot broader than being a Republican. When you think of a successful Republican candidate there are some pretty rigid descriptions that are going to go along with that. That's not really true of democrats.

It's broader because they're "progressive" and edgy. The stereotype of a republican hasn't ever changed in my lifetime. Stuffy white dude in a suit. For the record, I vote republican and am okay with Trump because maybe this is the compromise the party needs in order to pick up the fringe voters.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
It's broader because they're "progressive" and edgy. The stereotype of a republican hasn't ever changed in my lifetime. Stuffy white dude in a suit. For the record, I vote republican and am okay with Trump because maybe this is the compromise the party needs in order to pick up the fringe voters.

In other words, exactly what I said.

"The MSM in his back pocket. "

Trump has FOX News in his back pocket.  He's mean to them, and they worship him.  Think about Megyn kelly getting a 2 week suspension for upsetting poor donald lol... the #1 voice (essentially tied with Bill O'Lielly) on the #1 cable news network) - and trump just shit all over her.   he can make a period joke and SHE was the one getting suspeneded for it.

So yes, trump has the MSM in his pocket.

I'm not sure that's what the Kelly vacay was about, but he's friends/acquaintances with a ton of  media types: Barbara Walters, Anderson Cooper, Howard Stern, Oprah. If and when he begins an earnest campaign, he's connected. Maybe moreso than any other candidate in history. Even Hillary.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
So, Trump has his cult on lock, the nomination on lock and there's not much about his campaign or positions that are recognizable as Republican. Some Repub names are fleeing the ship while others have accepted that they have to endorse him under duress.

The quesstion is "how will a trump presidency change the republican party"?  Social conservatism is dead as a political force. I think that's a given. Are people really responding to Trump because he's fiscally conservative?
I don't think so. I think he's an ideal instagram/social media generation candidate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
So, Trump has his cult on lock, the nomination on lock and there's not much about his campaign or positions that are recognizable as Republican. Some Repub names are fleeing the ship while others have accepted that they have to endorse him under duress.

The quesstion is "how will a trump presidency change the republican party"?  Social conservatism is dead as a political force. I think that's a given. Are people really responding to Trump because he's fiscally conservative?
I don't think so. I think he's an ideal instagram/social media generation candidate.

On what basis do you conclude "social conservatism is dead as a political force"?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
On what basis do you conclude "social conservatism is dead as a political force"?

That was actually a mistake on my part. I meant to write evangelical conservatism instead of social conservatism.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
That was actually a mistake on my part. I meant to write evangelical conservatism instead of social conservatism.

I'm sure Bum feels better now

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
It will be the first time since the democratic and republican party's ideological flip-flop that culminated in the 60s, yes.

Look, the GOP had it coming: It's got a huge base of middle-class Americans and a wealthy elite that has gradually disenfranchised itself from the base.

Most people are reading Trump wrong. He's hitting all the right notes, at least the notes that the middle class wants to hear.

Many people interpret his promises as racism, but what he is really saying is "look, give me your vote and I'll make sure that ECONOMICALLY we got back to your grandfather's time. A time when one salary was enough to pay for a house, vacations, college, car, et cetera. And deporting people who will work for ten cents an hour and cost the economy an enormous amount of money is a step toward that goal, not The Goal".  

I'm as left wing as it gets, but what The Donald is saying makes way too much sense to me. At least a heck of a lot more sense than what The Establishment's candidates seem to be articulating.

For instance, why on earth is the press giving Obama a free pass on the illegal immigrant issue is beyond me. Here's a guy that ran part of his campaign on legalizing millions of illegal aliens, then he gets a second term and proceeds to carry on one of the largest low-key deportation waves in recorded history. The Hispanic community should be calling for a lynching on this guy. Instead, they're either eerily quiet or attacking The Donald full blast.

Meanwhile, places like Jersey City have become Little Calcuttas in a span of 5 years, literally overcome with visa-holding cheap employees who see nothing wrong in not taking a shower in two weeks.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
It will be the first time since the democratic and republican party's ideological flip-flop that culminated in the 60s, yes.

Look, the GOP had it coming: It's got a huge base of middle-class Americans and a wealthy elite that has gradually disenfranchised itself from the base.

Most people are reading Trump wrong. He's hitting all the right notes, at least the notes that the middle class wants to hear.

Many people interpret his promises as racism, but what he is really saying is "look, give me your vote and I'll make sure that ECONOMICALLY we got back to your grandfather's time. A time when one salary was enough to pay for a house, vacations, college, car, et cetera. And deporting people who will work for ten cents an hour and cost the economy an enormous amount of money is a step toward that goal, not The Goal".  

I'm as left wing as it gets, but what The Donald is saying makes way too much sense to me. At least a heck of a lot more sense than what The Establishment's candidates seem to be articulating.

Are you hearing this Republican Party?

And you are wanting to sabotage this phenomenon?

I'm almost convinced that Republicans simply do not care about winning presidential elections.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Are you hearing this Republican Party?

And you are wanting to sabotage this phenomenon?

I'm almost convinced that Republicans simply do not care about winning presidential elections.

Well, that's what happens when the elites fail to impose their candidate.