Author Topic: Advices on planning a workout for a great older lady!  (Read 2663 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Advices on planning a workout for a great older lady!
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »
My mom is coming to visit us for a whole month!

However, she won't be bringing along her greatest asset: cooking. She has gained a bit of weight over the last few years because of some health issues and we have talked about getting her back in shape while she's here. We have a gym in our apartment building and I plan on giving her a 20-minute workout every other day.

The main thing I want to do is prevent DOMS as much as possible. She won't be inclined to stick with it if she's in pain. She's in her 60s and she's not trying to gain a muscular appearance, but I don't want to focus on too much cardio. I feel like that won't be productive in helping her lose weight. I'm thinking of doing a full-body routine every workout- 2 compound machine exercises for push, pull and legs, 5 reps, 3sets, minimal weight.

Any suggestions for improvement? And, most importantly, any suggestions on limiting DOMS?

DHEA-100

Re: Advices on planning a workout for a great older lady!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »
This one usually produces results in 9 months or so. 

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:07:13 AM »
I clicked on this thread fully prepared to lay down some nasty smack. Then I saw it was your mom, so...

PEACE OUT!

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04:34 AM »
This one usually produces results in 9 months or so. 

9 months is too long.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »

However, she won't be bringing along her greatest asset: cooking. She has gained a bit of weight over the last few years because of some health issues and we have talked about getting her back in shape while she's here. We have a gym in our apartment building and I plan on giving her a 20-minute workout every other day.

The main thing I want to do is prevent DOMS as much as possible. She won't be inclined to stick with it if she's in pain. She's in her 60s and she's not trying to gain a muscular appearance, but I don't want to focus on too much cardio. I feel like that won't be productive in helping her lose weight. I'm thinking of doing a full-body routine every workout- 2 compound machine exercises for push, pull and legs, 5 reps, 3sets, minimal weight.

Any suggestions for improvement? And, most importantly, any suggestions on limiting DOMS?

Cardio AND weights.  20 min. EOD not enough IMO.  Lots of water.  DOMS is going to happen no matter what, at least the first couple of times if she hasn't been doing anything.
:

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »
Lots of Water. 20 mins. Skip the cardio and weights.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
Cardio AND weights.  20 min. EOD not enough IMO.  Lots of water.  DOMS is going to happen no matter what, at least the first couple of times if she hasn't been doing anything.

When i see older people doing cardio, I honestly don't think they are doing anything. I know my mom is not going to do high intensity cardio. Eventually, she'll work up to longer workouts, but to start out, I want to do something she's going to stick with that doesn't feel too overwhelming.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
When i see older people doing cardio, I honestly don't think they are doing anything. I know my mom is not going to do high intensity cardio. Eventually, she'll work up to longer workouts, but to start out, I want to do something she's going to stick with that doesn't feel too overwhelming.
Just have her walk for 10 minutes on the treadmill at her own pace to start out after working with the weights.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
Just have her walk for 10 minutes on the treadmill at her own pace to start out after working with the weights.

Realistically, do you believe there is any advantage to this?

I mean it would be too short to build endurance  and it would burn about 20 calories. I also think the boredom is going to make it harder for her to stick with it. I left cardio out for a reason.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
just focus on mastering technique and forget about strength.  Just do something different every day and slowly work through all the muscle groups and equipment. after that you'll have a better feel for what works.
"

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
Make sure you have her drink a nice pre workout. Or better yet, follow my stacking advice on the products and have her really "FEEL THE POWER!"
?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »
Realistically, do you believe there is any advantage to this?

I mean it would be too short to build endurance  and it would burn about 20 calories. I also think the boredom is going to make it harder for her to stick with it. I left cardio out for a reason.
No it`s not gonna` give her world class endurance,but it`s a start,especially if she`s been inactive.

First thing to do would be to evaluate her fitness level,then go from there.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
just focus on mastering technique and forget about strength.  Just do something different every day and slowly work through all the muscle groups and equipment. after that you'll have a better fell for what works.

I'm not thinking about strength at all. She's going to be using extremely light poundages. As of right now, I'm planning full-body workouts with fairly short rest periods. I want her to break a sweat but not kill herself.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »

Without knowledge of her previous health issues it's a bit difficult to consider what would/wouldn't be safe for her. Unless she has previous experience with (any type of) weightlifting, I wouldn't introduce too complex movements and maybe just stick with machines. Seeing as you've indicated that the goal is to lose weight and to get her back into shape (by which I assume you mean some building of strength?); I would suggest at least some compound movements (or variants) like light deadlifts and (bodyweight)squats (or variants). Simply because these, also at a later stage in life, are movements made on a daily basis, and therefore would be beneficial for her in the longrun as well (think; getting out of bed, picking stuff up, cleaning, etc.). Additionally, as they recruit a large amount of muscles it'll help boost metabolism (bro-science, sure).

In my personal opinion, dedicating time for cardio in the gym is a waste of time. Especially when you're aiming at only dedicating 20-min every other day. For your mother to become/remain more active it would be much more beneficial to go for a daily walk, or something along those lines, which she would actually enjoy(?) instead of mindlessly being on a threadmill/bike facing a wall. In the sense that going for a walk wouldn't be a 'punishment or duty to be fulfilled' as opposed to going and being in a gym.

Considering DOMS, I doubt you'll be able to prevent it, unless you build it up very slowly/easily. Simply because fitness movements are always slightly different than daily movements, and thus load/recruit muscles differently. As mr.turbo said, just focus on mastering technique, and just slowly build up and see what&where you can increase. In a few weeks time your mom and you should be able to determine what is feasible and effective resistance and what is not. Simply because you only wish to dedicate 20min eod, I wouldn't push for a full-body exercise, simply due to time constraints, and also being harsh on the recovery taking into account her age.

Good luck to you and you're mom.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 06:12:47 PM »
Thanks, guys. Appreciate all the advices and thoughtful answers.

I have to go do some research on the etymology of the word "record" among musical artists now.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
If it just weight loss she wants spend some quality time w your mom and forget your stupid apartment gym. If u work or r a student take her places after u get home. Do a lot of walking sight seeing and make sure she limits her calories. U don't have to hit the gym to lose weight. Would be cool but she doesn't sound like the gym type. Kill 2 birds. Hang out w her n have fun.

My mom n dad r gone. I sure as hell wouldn't put them in the gym if they came back to visit a few days.

Uncle Joon

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »

At that age hormones are largely going to govern weight gain and like Princess L said 20 min is totally pointless.
She would me much better of not excerising at all and just sticking to super low calorie diet.
I highly recommend the HCG diet if you can get ur hands on some legit HCG it works wonders if done properly but most people fuck it up cos they don't know what they are doing or can't get hold of real HCG and use that under tongue spray shit which is useless.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 03:49:03 PM »
Pictures of the whore?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
Start the old hag out on some German volume training

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »
If it just weight loss she wants spend some quality time w your mom and forget your stupid apartment gym. If u work or r a student take her places after u get home. Do a lot of walking sight seeing and make sure she limits her calories. U don't have to hit the gym to lose weight. Would be cool but she doesn't sound like the gym type. Kill 2 birds. Hang out w her n have fun.

My mom n dad r gone. I sure as hell wouldn't put them in the gym if they came back to visit a few days.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. There's a variety of reasons walking around the city after work wouldn't preferable, but among them is that we wanted to get her into a habit that she could continue once she returns home and I also wanted to be able to conclusively gauge her progress. Even in the gym we will still be spending time together and instead of forcing her to sleep on the street, we're actually letting her stay in our apartment,so I will see her outside of the gym, as well.

At that age hormones are largely going to govern weight gain and like Princess L said 20 min is totally pointless.
She would me much better of not excerising at all and just sticking to super low calorie diet.
I highly recommend the HCG diet if you can get ur hands on some legit HCG it works wonders if done properly but most people fuck it up cos they don't know what they are doing or can't get hold of real HCG and use that under tongue spray shit which is useless.

I don't think I will do this to my mother.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »

I feel your Mum lacks the will and the heart to get into shape.  Unless she is willing to visit the pain zone on a regular basis she is doomed to be a fatty.  Hope this helps.

Na, just fucking wit ya.  Consistent long walks and gradual calorie reduction is best for the oldies IMO.  Walks in a nice environment helps, bush walks, along the beach, public gardens etc . Keep it simple
V

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
have her walk for an hour a day, and not eat too much

what are weights to do with fat loss ???

edit - just saw RP's post... this

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 09:46:32 PM »

what are weights to do with fat loss ???

LOL you don't think weight training  aids in fat loss?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
LOL you don't think weight training  aids in fat loss?
Not for post menopausal old women. Lots of housework and salads should do the trick.  ;D
V

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »
LOL you don't think weight training  aids in fat loss?

if you're driving a car and have two options to go faster -- roll up the windows to decrease air resistance, or press on the gas pedal -- which will you choose?

in this analogy, rolling up the windows = weight training
pressing on the gas is cardio and diet