Author Topic: Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair  (Read 6188 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »
Ridiculous.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
You claimed she was setting him up, then claimed that a fine accomplished nothing. The idea that there was a setup is pretty irrational, but if you're gonna follow that line of thinking, there should at least be some  conceivable payoff.

She wanted to get a haircut. She wasn't trying to gain anything.  She was discriminated against and she filed a complaint with the proper agency. The establishment was fined. That is pretty much the extent of any accomplishment she likely hoped to get. He will either think twice next time or receive another fine, likely larger. That's the accomplishment. The idea that there was some sort of setup and she was looking for a bigger payoff is ridiculous.

Would it make sense that she might like drama?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
This shit is out of control.  It would be like any man walking into Victoria's Secret and reporting them for not selling men's underwear.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »
distinctly remember years ago there was a beauty salon in my dads office building.  I was home from college and I needed a haircut.......bad.  it was the only place around that was open on Monday. 

I went in and she told me they didn't cut men's hair there.  you wanna know what I did?

NOTHING

I threw some more gel in my hair and went on with my life.  that's what a male adult is supposed to fucking do when they want to get a haircut at a woman's salon and are told that they can't. 

you know there was a time when shit like this was considered trivial and inconsequential and not worthy of acknowledgement. 

fuckin social media.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »
You're assuming her only goal was to get a haircut.  I'm not.  People go poking around to file stupid complaints all the time, with zero payoff.  We have a guy over here who has been searching public property for years for any kind of religious symbol on public property and filing lawsuits claiming he is suffering emotional distress when he sees them.  Like state legislators putting a fish symbol on their office door.  What's the payoff there?  Not THAT is irrational.

And it's also completely unrelated to this story of the woman at the barbershop. You claimed that the woman was setting up the barber and that, somehow, her bizarre setup accomplished nothing. She filed a complaint with the occupational commission and they fined him. That was obviously her goal. It was a very clear case of action/consequence. There was nothing unreasonable or irrational about it. If you take it at face value-or even if you don't - what more was supposed to happen?

I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from  on this story. You agree that the barber was discriminating. You think the fine was negligible. So, this is a non-story. A business owner violated  discrimination laws and was fined.  :-\

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2015, 07:59:34 PM »
This shit is out of control.  It would be like any man walking into Victoria's Secret and reporting them for not selling men's underwear.

No, it's more like a man walking into Victoria's Secret and being told he's not allowed to purchase any products from VS because he's a man. Big difference.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2015, 05:48:32 AM »
Yes, hair is hair.
Like I said in the last post, if she went to a men's barbershop she probably wanted either a simple cut or a typically male cut. This is a picture of her:

It's a typical male cut. If he declined to cut her hair because she's female, it's discrimination.
Being refused service based on gender is not silly and does not make her a pansy.

What kind of typical males you hangin with?
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »

Doh!  lol  :D

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »

I didn't say I was hangin with them, I just said it's a cut that a  lot of guys have. It's easier to find pics of guys with this type of haircut than girls. You might call it emo or whatever, but it's a typical male cut.  :-\

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
This is bullshit. The homo could have gone somewhere else. As a business you have a right to refuse a service you don't offer. If I go to a grocery store and demand an oil change I cannot sue or fine them if they can't comply.

Or let's say I go to the grocery store and they are out of milk, do I now fine them because they could not provide the service I wanted??

This barber did not have experience cutting female hair. If he advertised cutting men's hair, and she is a female, then that is clearly not a service he offered.

Fuck these weak PC bipeds.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
This is bullshit. The homo could have gone somewhere else. As a business you have a right to refuse a service you don't offer. If I go to a grocery store and demand an oil change I cannot sue or fine them if they can't comply.

Or let's say I go to the grocery store and they are out of milk, do I now fine them because they could not provide the service I wanted??

This barber did not have experience cutting female hair. If he advertised cutting men's hair, and she is a female, then that is clearly not a service he offered.

Except it is a service they offered. She wanted her hair cut in a male style. The barber never denied that he was capable of cutting the hair in the style she wanted. He just didn't want to have a woman in the shop. He most likely wouldn't have received the fine if she asked for a style he couldn't do, but if she asked for the cut in that picture, it's a style that a lot of male celebrities have.  It's not comparable to going to a grocery store and asking for items that aren't there.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »
Except it is a service they offered. She wanted her hair cut in a male style. The barber never denied that he was capable of cutting the hair in the style she wanted. He just didn't want to have a woman in the shop. He most likely wouldn't have received the fine if she asked for a style he couldn't do, but if she asked for the cut in that picture, it's a style that a lot of male celebrities have.  It's not comparable to going to a grocery store and asking for items that aren't there.

Tells you everything you need to know about the "males" the media claims we're "celebrating".

To hell in a handbasket, that's what.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »

What premise do you have that she was a lesbian?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
Has Hooters ever been sued for not hiring dude waiters?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
Has Hooters ever been sued for not hiring dude waiters?

Yes.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Yes.

I believe hooters settled for an undisclosed amount of money.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
I believe hooters settled for an undisclosed amount of money.

Wow, how many times have they been sued? I just feel all of that type of stuff is too nit picky. There's so many different places to go, why not just take the business elsewhere?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »
Wow, how many times have they been sued? I just feel all of that type of stuff is too nit picky. There's so many different places to go, why not just take the business elsewhere?

Truly I agree with you on that point.

If I had a problem with a business, I would just go elsewhere... Hit them in the wallet, that's where all businesses feel it.

However, if you do have some sort of discriminatory business, and someone does sue you, you just pay the fine or whatever and move on I guess.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
Truly I agree with you on that point.

If I had a problem with a business, I would just go elsewhere... Hit them in the wallet, that's where all businesses feel it.

However, if you do have some sort of discriminatory business, and someone does sue you, you just pay the fine or whatever and move on I guess.

On a micro level, sure it might seem insignificant, but on a macro level it really isn't. The ultimate idea is consumer protection. Everyone has to deal with rudeness and bad service, your race, gender,sexuality,age etc shouldn't unduly compound that. The truth is even small businesses aren't out to soak up every single dollar under the sun. If a business makes it known that they don't want a particular group of people going to their establishment, when they finally get that group to stop coming, it's not hurting them. It's their goal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »

I agree.