Author Topic: 2016 NFL Hall of Fame  (Read 2330 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
2016 NFL Hall of Fame
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »
Favre is an obvious first ballot.  Not sure about the rest.   

Brett Favre, Terrell Owens among 1st-year Hall of Fame nominees
Associated Press

CANTON, Ohio -- Brett Favre is back in the news -- no, he's not attempting another comeback.

Favre was among the 108 modern-day nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2016 announced Wednesday night. The NFL's career leader in nearly every passing category when he retired after the 2010 season and winner of the 1997 Super Bowl with Green Bay, Favre leads a strong list of first-time nominees.

That group includes Terrell Owens, one of the league's most prolific and dynamic receivers for most of his 15 pro seasons, and Alan Faneca, an elite blocker who made six All-Pro teams at guard in his 13 seasons.

Other first-year-eligible nominees are safety Lawyer Milloy; running backs Brian Westbrook and Clinton Portis; place-kicker John Carney; and linebackers Keith Bulluck and Mike Vrabel.

Already nominated by the seniors committee are Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel. The 2016 contributor candidate is former 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo Jr.

The nominees consist of 93 players -- 51 on offense, 33 on defense, nine from special teams -- and 15 coaches. They will be trimmed to 25 semifinalists in November and, from there, to 15 finalists in January.

Voting will culminate Feb. 6, the night before the Super Bowl. While there is no set number for any class of enshrinees, the selection process bylaws provide that between four and eight new members will be selected.

Favre, of course, is the headliner. A three-time league MVP, he retired with 508 touchdown passes, 71,838 yards and 186 victories. Of course, he temporarily retired twice late in his career and finished up with Minnesota for two seasons following 16 in Green Bay and one with the Jets. He spent his rookie season as a backup in Atlanta before being traded to Green Bay, where he helped revitalize the franchise.

Owens played for five franchises, making All-Pro five times. T.O. led the league in TD receptions three times, retiring with 153, and perhaps in feuds with his quarterbacks, many of whom he felt didn't target him enough.

Faneca anchored Pittsburgh's offensive line for a decade, winning a Super Bowl. He also played two years for the Jets and one for Arizona.

Finalists from 2015 who are on the ballot are place-kicker Morten Andersen; coaches Don Coryell, Tony Dungy and Jimmy Johnson; running back Terrell Davis; linebacker-defensive end Kevin Greene; wide receiver Marvin Harrison; safety John Lynch; tackle Orlando Pace; and quarterback Kurt Warner.

Pro Football Hall of Fame: Modern Era Nominees
The 108 nominees among modern era players for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The list will be trimmed to 25 semifinalists in November and, from there, to 15 finalists in January.

POS.   NOMINEES      

QB   Drew Bledsoe
Phil Simms   Brett Favre
Vinny Testaverde   Steve McNair
Kurt Warner

RB   Shaun Alexander
Roger Craig
Eddie George
Daryl Johnson
Herschel Walker   Ottis Anderson
Stephen Davis
Priest Holmes
Jamal Lewis
Ricky Watters   Tiki Barber
Terrell Davis
Edgerrin James
Clinton Portis
Brian Westbrook

WR   Isaac Bruce
Marvin Harrison
Sterling Sharpe   Gary Clark
Torry Holt
Jimmy Smith   Henry Ellard
Terrell Owens
Rod Smith

TE   Mark Bavaro   Jay Novacek   

OL   Tony Boselli
Alan Faneca
Kent Hull
Mike Kenn
Mark May
Orlando Pace
Steve Wisniewski   Jeff Bostic
Jay Hilgenberg
Joe Jacoby
Jim Lachey
Tom Nalen
Chris Samuels   Jim Covert
Chris Hinton
Jon Jansen
Kevin Mawae
Nate Newton
Mark Schlereth

DL   Dexter Manley
Simeon Rice   Charles Mann
Fred Smerlas   Leslie O'Neal
Bryant Young

LB   Cornelius Bennett
Kevin Greene
Clay Matthews
Matt Millen
Mike Vrabel   Tedy Bruschi
Ken Harvey
Willie McGinest
Sam Mills   Keith Bulluck
Levon Kirkland
Karl Mecklenburg
Zach Thomas

DB   Eric Allen
LeRoy Butler
Albert Lewis
Darren Sharper
Everson Walls   Steve Atwater
Rodney Harrison
John Lynch
Shawn Springs
Darren Woodson   Joey Browner
Ty Law
Lawyer Milloy
Troy Vincent

K/P   Morten Andersen
Jason Elam   Gary Anderson
Sean Landeta   John Carney
Nick Lowery

ST   Ethan Albright   Brian Mitchell   Steve Tasker

Coach   Don Coryell
Tom Flores
Chuck Knox
Dan Reeves
Marty Schottenheimer   Bill Cowher
Mike Holmgren
Buddy Parker
Pete Rodriguez
Clark Shaughnessy   Tony Dungy
Jimmy Johnson
Richie Petitbon
Lou Saban
Dick Vermeil

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13673284/brett-favre-terrell-owens-1st-year-nominees-pro-football-hall-fame

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 2016 NFL Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
linemen are the hardest guys to evaluate, due to lack of stats....... favre should be a shoo-in, with t.o a good possibility.... after that it's a crap shoot....if gale sayers is in terrell davis should be in too.eagles fan so i'd like to see eric allen get in ... he saved a lot of games for them...
F

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 05:07:29 PM »
linemen are the hardest guys to evaluate, due to lack of stats....... favre should be a shoo-in, with t.o a good possibility.... after that it's a crap shoot....if gale sayers is in terrell davis should be in too.eagles fan so i'd like to see eric allen get in ... he saved a lot of games for them...

I agree about Davis. 

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:59:48 AM »
Must be a hard decision to narrow the finalists down. I look at most of those names, and I immediately think: "good, but not a Hall of Famer."

Lawyer Milloy? Mike Vrabel?........give me a break.

The Hall of Fame needs to be reserved for the best of the best.

Keep a close eye out for Troy Vincent. I wonder if he will get in because he currently works for the NFL, and is Goodell's right hand man.

He was the one who supposedly came up with the deflategate suspension, and who wrote the letter to Tom Brady.