Author Topic: Contest prep question  (Read 2306 times)

Swole0565

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Contest prep question
« on: March 04, 2006, 01:19:18 AM »
During the final 2 weeks, before a figure show, what type of training/nutrition changes occur?  Do the girls go through a carb depletion/load?  What about water intake/manipulation?
I just wondered what, if anything, differs from the strategies a female bodybuilder, would apply?

Nicole Weeks

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • All natural except for the 34D's
Re: Contest prep question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
All the above. I think it's about the same as women bodybuilders, perhaps not as extreme, but pretty much the same stuff. I do the carb deplete/load, sodium load/unload, and Taraxatone.

-Nicole
WNBF Natural Figure Pro

sexybarbie

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »
hey nicole im new at new and i was wondering what it meant when u say "carb deplete/load, sodium load/unload, and Taraxatone" thanks

sexibarbie

jennifer1

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • www.teamworksfigurebikini.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »
I think that it's different for everyone.  Typically, I don't have my clients load or deplete carbs.  I DO, however, manipulate their carbs during the last week.  Most of my clients are on a carb cycle, with lower days and higher days.  During the last week, I might have them do two or three higher days in a row in the beginning of the week, then drop them down to their lower days for the couple days leading into the show.  Carbs hold water subcutaneously, therefore, I try to keep their carbs lower around the time they have to step on stage.  Since figure girls don't need to be super-compensated with glycogen, I find there isn't an immediate need to load the muscles with carbs.  It's more important for a figure girl to be a little tight package than bulging with rounded muscle bellies.  EVERYONE is different though, so what works for one, may not work for another.

As for sodium, I find that keeping sodium in the diet until the last couple days works best.

Hope this helps  ;)

kszep

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »
As everyone else has already mentioned...all competitors are different.  What works for me is to taper down my carbs throughout my preparation (usually 12 weeks).  I usually start with about 225g per day in the first two weeks and gradually take them down week by week as I increase protein and fat.  If I look stage ready a week before the show, I do not carb load.  However, if I look exceptionally small, I will carb deplete Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (about 40g/day) and load Thurday, Friday and Saturday (about 150-175g).  As far as water goes, as a fitness competitor I am scared to deplete to much (routines).  So I just drink about 1/2 gallon per day in the last few days as opposed to a full gallon like I do the other days.  Finally, as for sodium, I simply avoid it as much as I can in the last week.  I feel that figure/fitness competitors do not have to go as extreme as bodybuilders.  Again, that's just me :)
Katie