Author Topic: Am I wrong or Mr O has drasticly declined in popularity in general?  (Read 6470 times)

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Am I wrong or Mr O has drasticly declined in popularity in general?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 02:42:44 PM »
azure do you think the real reason phils is always pissed off , is he has had to suck alot of cock over the years and take some huge white cocks up the ass, and it pisses him off he has to do this to stay the champ

or is he just a miserable prick in general

Hmmm...well I don't think he likes himself very much. Whether or not he's had to take it up the ass I'm not sure. He just seems like a very insecure individual who is trying to be something he is not.  He can't even play the part of a playboy right! I think it also bothers him that people blow him off because they think he didn't have to work his way to the top and the way he acts doesn't help matters

Honestly if he were to act like Haney or even be funny like Ronnie then I don't think he would get half the criticism he does.

He is insufferable as it is and I only see him getting worse this year

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »

great speech from this pecker this year
"

Bigblackstallion

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 06:51:41 PM »
Mr Olympia lacks [spice] flair, drama, excitement and SOUL!

AND THE BODIES WERE BETTER IN the late 90s early 2000

phil heaths same ole arrogant routine has retarded the sport

fuck Mr Olympia

the Arnold is a much better venue and show

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »
The production quality of the webcast this year was embarrassingly bad.

In 2000 the lighting, stage build, camera handling, lighting and video editing were all at a decent level for the top comp

It gradually declined.. Now it feels like a basement competition. Apparently no money left lol

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 11:26:05 PM »
Yes i havent lifted in 3 years. Now just starting back again. Bodybuilding is a snooze fest nowadays. Same judges. Same bodybuilders, they look exactly the same, nobody improves. Same look and the judges just randomly place them.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 11:41:15 PM »
consumers like sports that involve big money not pennies, they cannot take the stars serious unless there is big money,

twitchfibres

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »
consumers like sports that involve big money not pennies, they cannot take the stars serious unless there is big money,

Yes.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 12:34:32 AM »
The IFBB needs to fire every single judge. Bring in 20-30 year olds and have Arnold personally teach them HOW TO JUDGE.

This old guard of judging who consistently reward shit physiques is what is killing bodybuilding.

Plenty of young people still work out and take to the sport, but they do NOT want to look like pro bodybuilders.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »
Both;  you're wrong and the  Mr O has drastically declined in popularity in general .

Phil could retire today and will be forgotten in a month.

WoooSHHHHH

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 07:05:34 AM »
Both;  you're wrong and the  Mr O has drastically declined in popularity in general .

Phil could retire today and will be forgotten in a month.

WoooSHHHHH

That's because people don't like Phil

You know what's sad?  Even someone like Ronnie who is one of the greatest mr.olympias doesn't have the long lines at he expo and I also think it sucks that he and done of the others weren't part of the program. They let them come out for the 50th but it says something that the former Mr Olympias do not show up every year

At the super bowl you see all of the greats and not so greats

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 07:10:31 AM »
That's because people don't like Phil

You know what's sad?  Even someone like Ronnie who is one of the greatest mr.olympias doesn't have the long lines at he expo and I also think it sucks that he and done of the others weren't part of the program. They let them come out for the 50th but it says something that the former Mr Olympias do not show up every year

At the super bowl you see all of the greats and not so greats

good point...and thats probably so because no one will pay for their room, travel, and food...like the NFL does for their former greats...also again..no one cares    except the Weiders when they were alive.....Even though we have always made fun of ol' Joe and Ben, we now see how integral they were to the sport....Joe and Ben would have never tolerated the Olympia looking like an amateur gym competition

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 07:29:46 AM »
good point...and thats probably so because no one will pay for their room, travel, and food...like the NFL does for their former greats...also again..no one cares    except the Weiders when they were alive.....Even though we have always made fun of ol' Joe and Ben, we now see how integral they were to the sport....Joe and Ben would have never tolerated the Olympia looking like an amateur gym competition

They don't pay for everything and if you were just a player, they don't pay for hardly anything...but I see what you're saying.  You're right.  The production value was terrible.  I just think it says something when even the greats don't want to be bothered anymore with it.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 07:57:28 AM »
I'm surprised Joe sold all of his holdings before he died...didn't he have a son or nephew to continue his legacy?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »
Agreed...they really need to revamp the way they do things.....also the personalities just aren't as big as they once were in the 90's.....Levrone, Ronnie, Shawn, Titus, Kamali, Flex, Gunter, Ruhl,Dorian, Nasser, Priest...etc..you just can't beat those guys...even the lower tier guys like Matarazzo and Chicherillo were much more interesting than these guys these days...  

No one cares any more...also the Weiders are dead so bodybuilding is just about businessmen now..there is truly no passion behind the sport....and all the innocence is gone due to EVERYONE knowing about the "supplements"....back then there was a lot of naivety and people thought they could actually look like the bodybuilders if they just trained hard enough (hahaha)

How many times do we have to hear this wailing? Twenty years ago, these same laments were yelped about the very same 90s guys by those folks from the 70s and 80s.

"There ain't as much camaraderie"
"They don't train as hard".
 "They're all drugs".
"They all look the same."
Etc.,etc., etc.

Tinsley

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
Bodybuilding in general, along with many niche sports, is declining in popularity.  

Unfortunately, financial pressures in the current North American environment has a lot to do with expensive pursuits decreasing.  Although supplements and nutritional products are more popular than ever with the advent of 'cross-fit' and other fitness-as-a-sport activities, many people are just not willing to shell out their rapidly decreasing leisure dollars to attend or invest in this sport.

The other issue is that the era of people admiring the true freaks may be past, especially with the new physique division.  There will always be the people who admire the leanest, dryest, biggest person on stage but the general public has moved past onto other things.  Again, the 'Crossfit Games' brings more viewers online, attendees to events and participants then bodybuilding ever did, even in the age of Levrone, Flex and Dorian.

Those of us who built a passion for bodybuilding will argue these things, but eventually be faced with the realization that without multi-disciplinary expos such as the Arnold, highest level bodybuilding may have already declined into obscurity.  I personally believe that every good thing that has ever happened in my life is due to training, and I know many can say the same.

Sad...

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »
Everyting is the same as before, its just you getting older, lose excitment and less happy in life! Everything have always been the same. Its just u who see things different!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
The physique thing wont take off, just like the mens bikini hasn't..

I'll tell you the reason why, no gym goer is going to pay to watch someone smaller than them mincing around a stage

Men's bikini and physique crowd will be family and friends. I've attended plenty grand prix shows, and untill the big boys hit the stage no one is interested.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »
Agreed...they really need to revamp the way they do things.....also the personalities just aren't as big as they once were in the 90's.....Levrone, Ronnie, Shawn, Titus, Kamali, Flex, Gunter, Ruhl,Dorian, Nasser, Priest...etc..you just can't beat those guys...even the lower tier guys like Matarazzo and Chicherillo were much more interesting than these guys these days...  

No one cares any more...also the Weiders are dead so bodybuilding is just about businessmen now..there is truly no passion behind the sport....and all the innocence is gone due to EVERYONE knowing about the "supplements"....back then there was a lot of naivety and people thought they could actually look like the bodybuilders if they just trained hard enough (hahaha)
Sad but true.

Tinsley

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
Everyting is the same as before, its just you getting older, lose excitment and less happy in life! Everything have always been the same. Its just u who see things different!

I disagree.  I believed that for some time, however I draw a parallel to another niche sport I have been involved with; paintball.  Things seemed to be diminishing in high-level professional tournament paintball in the last few years, although attendance at local levels was increasing.  Then in the last 14 months, two professional leagues have failed, one major manufacturer has been bought out and one ended up under bankruptcy protection.  

When I first went to the Arnold in 2005 bodybuilding was the main focus.  Now, bodybuilding generally gets less attendance than strongman or many other more spectator friendly activities.  

I may be completely wrong, but professional bodybuilding fans that I see at expos now seem to be exclusively bodybuilders or at least followers of some aspects of the lifestyle themselves.

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »

I'll tell you the reason why, no gym goer is going to pay to watch someone smaller than them mincing around a stage

Men's bikini and physique crowd will be family and friends. I've attended plenty grand prix shows, and untill the big boys hit the stage no one is interested.

Yup. The Orleans was not packed to see the Bikni competitors. When our friend competed last year at a pro show, I would say that the majority of the crowd was family and friends who didn't know what was going on. Interest picked back up when the pro men got onstage.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 05:47:05 PM »
I'm surprised Joe sold all of his holdings before he died...didn't he have a son or nephew to continue his legacy?
^^
He DID, and that would be an AMAZING investigation to see just what happened that prevented him from keeping the family's name in the industry!!
He was sure being "groomed" for the position around the year 2000, but you just don't hear of him anymore!!  Ben's son ERIC WEIDER.
http://www.ifbbpro.com/features/eric-weider/

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »

Truth.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »
I have to add... If you attend an expo your a total homo, going to watch oiled up muscle men is one thing but waiting in ques to get a signed photo as a grown man is pretty gay

All the pro shows I've attended the audience were nearly all bodybuilders and girlfriends I cant fathom why youd watch one if you weren't, unless family or friends are showing