Author Topic: Amino Spiking  (Read 2081 times)

444zoomer

• Getbig I
Amino Spiking
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
What is amino spiking?

What Rich Gaspari and Myofusion got caught doing is called “amino spiking” your protein. It sounds kind of complicated but it’s not. Imagine this scenario:

“Hey guys, this is Rich Gaspari here. I want you to buy Gaspari Myofusion protein. Look at the jug. It says 25G protein.”

You look at the advertisement and see the front of the jug. Sure enough, the front of the jug reads:

25 G protein, 52 servings, gluten free, synthetic color free.

Cool, right? Clearly every scoop of protein powder contains protein powder, right?

Not so fast.

If you read the back of the label, you’ll see this:

INGREDIENTS Myofusion Elite Protein Blend (Whey protein concentrate, Milk protein isolate, Whey Protein isolate, Micellar casein), Amino Blend (Taurine, Glycine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine.)

Wait, what?!

I thought Gaspari Mysofusion contained 25 grams of protein per scoop. That is what the front of my jug says. What is up with these added amino acids like taurine and glycine?

(“I thought Myofusion had 25 grams of protein.”)
Rich Gaspari allegedly spiked his protein with amino acids. This is known as “amino spiking.”

When you want to test the label claim of a protein powder, you sent it to a lab. The lab will run what’s called a nitrogen content test.

Protein has nitrogen as the backbone. A nitrogen content test is how you measure how much protein is in something. It’s how you measure how much protein you are losing in your urine, is, you measure the nitrogen content.

A nitrogen content test is an inexpensive test. The lab performs a nitrogen content test and says, “The protein meets the label claim. 98% nitrogen. Good to go.”

When you put a scoop of 25 grams of protein you throw that bad boy in there and thinking you’re getting 25 grams of whey protein; no you’re getting some amount of protein and then glycine and taurine. The protein has been spiked with cheap amino acids.

(This is a list of amino spiked protein powder, via  Chaos and Pain.)
Several protein powder companies have been sued for amino spiking. If you want to learn how to spot a liar, look at Rich Gaspari’s YouTube video response to amino spiking allegations.
“Taurine is a semi-essential amino acid and is not incorporated into proteins.” See, Taurine: new implications for an old amino acid.

Since taurine is not a protein, 5 grams of taurine does not contain 5 grams of protein.

If Gaspari’s Myofusion label says it contains 25 grams of protein, then it must contain 25 grams of protein. That protein must come from whey protein concentrate, milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate, and micellar casein exclusively.

You cannot throw in 15 grams of milk proteins along with 10 grams of taurine and glycine and then tell me your protein contains 25 grams of protein per scoop. That’s a misleading and deceitful label claim.

Marc Lobliner from Tiger Nutrition partners with Rich Gaspari.

Mark Lobliner from Tiger Nutrition and Tiger Fitness had an entertaining YouTube Channel that I will now boycott, as Marc has gotten into bed with Rich Gaspari.

Previously Marc Lobliner stood up against amino spiking and spoke out against it. Now Lobliner is a scum bag just like Gaspari.
Yes, we live in a world where a lot of people are committing fraud. When I see it, I’m going to say something. Because I don’t like it. I don’t like the filth and the dirtiness. I don’t like the fact that I’ve been ripped off by Rich Gaspari.

im2large

• Getbig II
Re: Amino Spiking
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:11:33 AM »
Protein is tested using the Kdejall method..i.e. Nitrogen testing. That being said, what was done by supp companies wasn't illegal, per se. What happened is a race to the lowest price.. In my opinion, if consumers would shop based on price, this wouldn't happen. The best formulated supplements in the industry are expensive as fuck and no one buys them. Just my $0.02