Author Topic: House Conservatives Pushing Rep. Gowdy for Top Leadership Post  (Read 986 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
House Conservatives Pushing Rep. Gowdy for Top Leadership Post
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Good choice.

Image: House Conservatives Pushing Rep. Gowdy for Top Leadership Post  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 
By Todd Beamon   
Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015

House conservatives are pushing for South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy as the No. 2 leader in the chamber following last week's surprise resignation of Speaker John Boehner.

"He is the kind of smart fighter our country needs and the American people deserve," Utah Rep. Mia Love said in a statement to The New York Times on Tuesday. "With impressive communication skills, genuine compassion and the tenacity of a prosecutor, he will unite the party and the people around a truly American agenda." 

Love is among a rising number of conservatives behind a "Draft Gowdy" effort for a top leadership post, the Times reports.

A former prosecutor, Gowdy is chairman of the select House committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks. He has emerged as a nemesis to Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton, who will testify before the panel in October.

With California Rep. Kevin McCarthy, the current majority leader, most likely ascending to the speakership, conservatives are eyeing Gowdy to help chart a new direction for House Republicans after Boehner.

McCarthy was elected last year after Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia was upset in a bruising primary election by novice university professor Dave Brat.

Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, also backs Gowdy, the Times reports.

For his part, Gowdy has remained silent on his further leadership intentions. The majority leader controls the House floor schedule and is involved in committee assignments and often serves a link to the media.

"Chairman Gowdy is focused on the Benghazi committee and will serve in that capacity so long as the committee exists," spokeswoman Amanda Duvall told the Times.

But South Carolina Rep. Mick Mulvaney, who also floated Gowdy as a candidate, said on Twitter that his colleague was not interested in the position.

Gowdy is close to McCarthy, however, and his ascension could be seen as easing suspicions among conservatives that he would not be out to silence the 40 or so members of the House Freedom Caucus, the Times reports.

Many caucus members have consistently opposed Boehner since he began his first term as speaker in 2011 and were expected to challenge him for a fourth term after next year's elections.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/trey-gowdy-house-speaker-john-boehner-gop/2015/09/29/id/693912/#ixzz3n9x3quGo

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: House Conservatives Pushing Rep. Gowdy for Top Leadership Post
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »
Good choice.

I think he was pretty ineffective - How are those Benghazi convictions coming along?

This dude has been running for this job on FOX news for 2 years now.  More of the same.

Put chaffertz in that job, watch him knock some teeth out.  Gowdy is another Issa, just a FOX news host-to-be, talking the mean anti-HIlary talk and never bringing charges on anything.  Shame.  A real chance to fix things - squandered.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
I think he was pretty ineffective - How are those Benghazi convictions coming along?

This dude has been running for this job on FOX news for 2 years now.  More of the same.

Put chaffertz in that job, watch him knock some teeth out.  Gowdy is another Issa, just a FOX news host-to-be, talking the mean anti-HIlary talk and never bringing charges on anything.  Shame.  A real chance to fix things - squandered.

The Board's biggest liberal is opposed?  Now I KNOW it is a good choice. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »
I hope they pick some fundie tea party hard liner for the position.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
The Board's biggest liberal is opposed?  Now I KNOW it is a good choice. 

I'm opposed to trump too.  Why haven't you fallen in line to give the guy a handy like most of the getbig republicans?  Props for not being a "me too" idiot like most of them, by the way.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:29:41 AM »
this would be a good choice

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 06:59:13 AM »
this would be a good choice

he;s all politics, no results.

obama/hilary should be in jail cells right now for letting benghazi happen.   He ranted for 2 years about it, and the final outcome is "we'll sprinkle more shit on hilary right before the election next fall".

Put in Jason Chaffertz, he'll be indicting everyone til someone fesses up and blames hilary or obama for benghazi. 

Gowdy is going to make mean speeches on fox, politicize everything, and be a no-action guy.  Watch and see.  He's darrell issa all over again - says things to get people riled up, but won't take action to indict, shut things down, etc.   

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
comedy gold delivered from the gods.
w

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 09:10:59 AM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »

I think what you meant to say is Liberal stonewalling.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »
I think what you meant to say is Liberal stonewalling.

I think you meant to say "let's change the subject".

Gowdy is ineffective.  Ken Starr had clinton disgraced in 11 months.  It'll be 4 years of Benghazi investigations when compelted in 10/2017. 

You don't want to talk about his failure, that's cool.  But he had a gimme here, and let obama 'stonewall' him.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »
Rep chaffertz - perhaps the loudest anti Obama repub in the house - is on tv right now saying McCarthy should apologize and withdraw that statement, as it politicizes the death of these Americans and is NOT what their committee is doing. 

Chaffertz is about as credible as one can get.  And he's right.  McCarthy stepped in shit trying I take credit for Hilary sagging poll numbers and made this entire Benghazi investigation look like a political tool. 

McCarthy is palin.  All anger and ego.   

Gowdy needs to condemn McCarthys statement also!!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Let's all hope Trey Gowdy is the next Speaker of the House. We currently only have 4 congressional committees simultaneously investigating ‪#‎BENGHAZI‬!!!!, which is a painfully inadequate number. Surely he would appoint more.

Or at least hold more attempts to repel Obamacare.  They are saddling up for their 61st attempt now.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »
Good choice.

LOLZER!