Author Topic: Nobody fucking lifts anymore  (Read 12946 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Nobody fucking lifts anymore
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:12:02 AM »
So I recently changed jobs and as an effort to a.) stay out of traffic as much as possible and b.) get the fuck out of my basement, I joined a gym a few blocks away from my office. It's an Equinox, so it's very posh and high-end. The lockers/showers are literally nicer than my bathroom. There's a Mexican guy that sits there, his whole job is to polish and wax shoes. I shit you not.

Anyway, I'm told that they have really first-rate trainers, but all I ever see them coaching and anybody doing is 30 minutes of mobility and then 30 minutes of some whack counter-rotational "core" exercises and then fucking leaving.

I pulled aside one of the more sensible trainers and said, "does anybody here actually lift?" He looked at me with a bemused smile and said, "fuck no, we don't coach that, it's all 'supple leopard' (WTF!) type training" and then laughed.

I do notice that some of the trainers are pretty yoked, especially one jacked mutha fukken Hebrew. Yesterday, he was off the clock and was training. That beyotch did 45 minutes of direct arms and nothing else.

LOL. No wonder I've been putting off my "complimentary" 2 free trainings.

Yesterday, I brought in my Rogue rings (no homo) and actually coached the coaches on how to use them. The head trainer said he's gonna buy some for the club, which is good, because I hate having to schlep mine on the train into Boston.

Anyway, Coach...do you actually coach your clients to lift?

Svengoolie

• Getbig IV
Re: Nobody fucking lifts anymore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:20:31 AM »
I also moved and had to join a you fit for the time being. I really hate it but as far as trainers go, which I see alot now, im guessing businesswise you want to keep the clients coming back. They train them in a way that I can't see any progress ever happening.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 05:22:10 AM »
I also moved and had to join a you fit for the time being. I really hate it but as far as trainers go, which I see alot now, im guessing businesswise you want to keep the clients coming back. They train them in a way that I can't see any progress ever happening.

You got that right. It's sad that me, a fucking 50 year old man, is top 3 in this gym. Just fucking pathetic.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 05:34:18 AM »
99% of all people in the gym doesn't do shit! The teenagers kill them self in the gym, and they get some result as well! All other fat bastard don't do jack shit...and look like jack shit!

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:36:07 AM »
Then I see those fat chicks do meaningless fucking shit on the floor, balance, big balloon rubberball, rubberband, burpees and spend 1hour on stupid fucking excercises and then look like shit, and will always look like shit if no one tell them how to do the shit!

Davidtheman100

• Getbig IV
  • Kill it
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 05:39:00 AM »
So I recently changed jobs and as an effort to a.) stay out of traffic as much as possible and b.) get the fuck out of my basement, I joined a gym a few blocks away from my office. It's an Equinox, so it's very posh and high-end. The lockers/showers are literally nicer than my bathroom. There's a Mexican guy that sits there, his whole job is to polish and wax shoes. I shit you not.

Anyway, I'm told that they have really first-rate trainers, but all I ever see them coaching and anybody doing is 30 minutes of mobility and then 30 minutes of some whack counter-rotational "core" exercises and then fucking leaving.

I pulled aside one of the more sensible trainers and said, "does anybody here actually lift?" He looked at me with a bemused smile and said, "fuck no, we don't coach that, it's all 'supple leopard' (WTF!) type training" and then laughed.

I do notice that some of the trainers are pretty yoked, especially one jacked mutha fukken Hebrew. Yesterday, he was off the clock and was training. That beyotch did 45 minutes of direct arms and nothing else.

Yesterday, I brought in my Rogue rings (no homo) and actually coached the coaches on how to use them. The head trainer said he's gonna buy some for the club, which is good, because I hate having to schlep mine on the train into Boston.

This is what the fitness industry is lol...Pt's and such who need their sleep so they need a job BB related in a gym so they can accommodate their BB lifestyle...So they can schedule around their times...You think if they showed people the real way to eat and train to get good results that would make anyone want to continue??? These people that get the PT's and such in the first place are usually people who aren't motivated or else they'd figure out how to do things themselves...I mean these days with youtube and forums i don't understand how they even still have their jobs...They give you balonie training routines and spend the money they earn on drugs to continue to look admirable....

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 05:41:25 AM »
ive noticed all the new personal trainers at my gym have people doing that core shit

like standing on medicine balls etc  very lil barbell work , or even machine work 

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:37:02 AM »

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 07:22:45 AM »
I guess after watching so many guys who are busy blabbing about their lifts ending up in wheelchairs the youth decided its best to use other methods to achieve the same results without much exposure to destroying ones spine, knees, shoulders etc.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 07:22:52 AM »
Would be great to be the trainer who was selected to be pulled aside.

I guess after watching so many guys who are busy blabbing about their lifts ending up in wheelchairs the youth decided its best to use other methods to achieve the same results without much exposure to destroying ones spine, knees, shoulders etc.

Weightlifting does not "destroy ones spine, knees, shoulders etc." ::) ::)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 07:25:24 AM »
Then I see those fat chicks do meaningless fucking shit on the floor, balance, big balloon rubberball, rubberband, burpees and spend 1hour on stupid fucking excercises and then look like shit, and will always look like shit if no one tell them how to do the shit!

X 2 a lot of bullshit done for zero progress/weightloss/fitness/muscle building.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:28:30 AM »
X 2 a lot of bullshit done for zero progress/weightloss/fitness/muscle building.

Yup.  It's ego building, not muscle building.  This is why so many feel its better to take the drugs than take the time.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 07:31:17 AM »
ive noticed all the new personal trainers at my gym have people doing that core shit

like standing on medicine balls etc  very lil barbell work , or even machine work 

And not a goddamned one ever sees any results.  People go to the gym to look good, period.  All this squishy "fitness" "core training" "health" bullshit is so these scam artist trainers can continue not to have their results measured objectively.  If true progress was actually measured they'd all lose customers like crazy.

DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
I see "trainers" making people do some truly weird shit ..........I just laugh and go back to my free weight squats.

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 07:39:36 AM »
I'm 50 and I'm sure I train harder than anyone in my gym.

In the last 10 years or so I've noticed the women train way harder and better than the men.

Going to the gym has become no more than a social event for many...

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
I train at home in my garage or at work very early in the morning.  Sometimes as early as 3 a.m. but usually around 4:30 a.m.

That way no one sees the puny weights I now use due to being in my dotage.  ;D

Actually, I have considered trying a commercial gym but just want nothing to do with them primarily due to their DLBish clientele.  Yeah, I'm a snob. Dammit! ;D

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »
I see "trainers" making people do some truly weird shit ..........I just laugh and go back to my free weight squats.

Look into the desert at the shining city of Las Vegas.  That whole city is built on the premise of people being morons.  Billions and billions from people who don't face reality and choose to believe whatever they want.

At least get the heart rate up and do some sweating for 25-30 minutes.  Trainers whose clients are not walking back to the lockers sweating are con men.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »
Just have to find the right gym/atmosphere,

monkey see... monkey do.
a

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
It seems that a lot of people tend to forget the reason why they join a gym in the first place,which is/was to get into shape..........as they never progress or at times,and I`ve seen it on many occasions,they look worse than when they joined............and this is after years of showing up religiously.

They usually gather there to socialize, or  as we talked about,they hire some idiot with fancy schmancy no result producing movements.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 07:52:06 AM »
Look into the desert at the shining city of Las Vegas.  That whole city is built on the premise of people being morons.  Billions and billions from people who don't face reality and choose to believe whatever they want.

At least get the heart rate up and do some sweating for 25-30 minutes.  Trainers whose clients are not walking back to the lockers sweating are con men.
Yup........I agree 100 %.

Just scammers and attention whores.................. .....look at the silly shit I`m doing...........look at me!!   :D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 08:07:55 AM »

This is why more and more small private gyms like mine are popping up. Too many gimmicks out there.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »
This is why more and more small private gyms like mine are popping up. Too many gimmicks out there.

Do you fire clients who aren't making progress or just continue to take their money as a subsidy for those who want to make progress?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 08:30:20 AM »
You're paying for an Equinox?

Fucking why?

Don't get me wrong, it's nice you have that money and you definitely can't find a nicer gym, but damn. Just to lift?

Wow.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »
Do you fire clients who aren't making progress or just continue to take their money as a subsidy for those who want to make progress?
Don't be silly.  Progress isn't forever but the desire to be the best one can be should be just that.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »

The irony is that there is no better "Core" exercise than barbell squats, as doing them properly, with good posture, requires maintaining a solid core.