Author Topic: After years and years of training-no benefit of twice a week per muscle group.  (Read 6150 times)

Simple Simon

Yes.
so the calories in a peice of wood is used in the same way as a bag of sugar?

can you tell me why if I eat some chocolate my veins blow up like balloons and if I eat a potato they dont.

Doest that not indicate the body utilising the calories differently?

basil

• Getbig IV
Ahhhhh.  I wouldn't look at it as a "benefit", per se.  It's simply an option, depending on where you are physically/physiologically.  I don't completely dismiss another person's training philosophy b/c it does not work for me 100% of the time.  The key is self-awareness, and be cognizant of several psychological triggers that will dictate how you respond to training.  I vary from week/month, depending on my diet, training, rest, level of stress, etc. in any given week/month.  We're exposed to different stressors.  To say twice a week training (per muscle group) if of no benefit is short minded.  For me, sometimes it's effective, other times not so much.   

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
I think very high frequency can work. look for eg. at gymnasts arms, mechanics forearms, speed cyclist legs these guys use or train pretty much the same muscles every day ~ sometimes multiple times a day - obviously food intake, genetics, drugs play a role too..

One thing is you have to drop back on other bodyparts when trying to bring a specific bodypart up.
I did this for back/lats as an experiment and it definitly works.

*Bought one of those pullup bars that fits in a normal door way.

Pull Up Lat Specialization Cycle

Week 1: 5 sets of 6 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 210 reps Total daily volume: 30 reps

Week 2: 6 sets of 6 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 252 reps Total daily volume: 36 reps

Week 3: 7 sets of 6 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 294 reps Total daily volume: 42 reps

Week 4: 8 sets of 6 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 336 reps Total daily volume: 48 reps

Week 5: 5 sets of 7 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 245 reps Total daily volume: 35 reps

Week 6: 6 sets of 7 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 294 reps Total daily volume: 42 reps

Week 7: 7 sets of 7 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 343 reps Total daily volume: 49 reps

Week 8: 8 sets of 7 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 392 reps Total daily volume: 56 reps

Week 9: 5 sets of 8 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 280 reps Total daily volume: 40 reps

Week 10 : 6 sets of 8 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 336 reps Total daily volume: 48 reps

Week 11: 7 sets of 8 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 392 reps Total daily volume: 56 reps

Week 12 : 8 sets of 8 every day, at any time, spread out or together clustered, Total weekly volume: 448 reps Total daily volume: 64 reps

Week 13: 5 sets of 9 (On upper body days only) - 45

Week 14 : 6 sets of 9 (On upper body days only) - 54

Week 15: 7 sets of 9 (On upper body days only) - 63

Week 16 : 8 sets of 9 (On upper body days only) - 72

Week 17 : 9 sets of 9 (On upper body days only) - 81

Week 18: 5 sets of 10 (On upper body days only) - 50

Week 19 : 6 sets of 10 (On upper body days only) - 60

Week 20: 7 sets of 10   (On upper body days only) - 70

Week 21 : 8 sets of 10 (On upper body days only) - 80

Week 22 : 9 sets of 10 (On upper body days only) - 90

Week 23 : 10 sets of 10 (On upper body days only) - 100

Davidtheman100

• Getbig IV
  • Kill it
so the calories in a bag of sugar are ued in exactly the same way as the same amout of calories in brown rice.
The body uses the same amount of energy digesting it?

No they're not....insulin sensitivity is important here....You have less of a time window if you eat the same amount of 4,000 cals of brown rice and 4,000 calories of sugar....what  i mean by that is the sugar will get stored as fat FASTER than the brown rice because the brown rice will burn slower through the system and will be used more thoroughly...Comparably to someone using 500mg prop to cruise a week and using it split up into 2 days and someone else using cup (brown rice)...So with a high high sugar diet even in a surplus it's possible to gain fat while you lose muscle....because the fuel is used so quickly with the sugar unless you're eating it in small increments then you are wasting it....

The Wizard

• Getbig III
  • Old School is THE School

Simple - If you train hard and heavy and tax your tendons too you work the muscle once a week, if you do medium to light and work for the pump you work the muscle twice a week.

All about levels of recovery

Simple Simon

No they're not....insulin sensitivity is important here....You have less of a time window if you eat the same amount of 4,000 cals of brown rice and 4,000 calories of sugar....what  i mean by that is the sugar will get stored as fat FASTER than the brown rice because the brown rice will burn slower through the system and will be used more thoroughly...Comparably to someone using 500mg prop to cruise a week and using it split up into 2 days and someone else using cup (brown rice)...So with a high high sugar diet even in a surplus it's possible to gain fat while you lose muscle....because the fuel is used so quickly with the sugar unless you're eating it in small increments then you are wasting it....
Im with you

Its numbnuts I quoted that we need to convince.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Twice a week on arms has made a difference for me.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Once per week = maintenance

Twice per week, rest days in between and food = noticeable gains.

The Wizard

• Getbig III
  • Old School is THE School

Agreed. With reps never under 10

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Does it matter at all when the lowly nutrition needs are met?

If you care about health and longevity, then yes.   :)

Davidtheman100

• Getbig IV
  • Kill it
The common theme is you'll have tons of people saying that twice a week training will benefit their body composition..Where as you'll see tons saying once a week is better...The thing we're missing with each person is #1 how hard are they training? Maybe if they don't hit it that hard when they're in the gym they're able to go twice as week?? And that still works for them? that's good...Maybe the person who trains twice a week is on more/less drugs?? There are tons of factors...At the end of the day it's what works best for you...You can take 5 olympia competitors and they will all train differently...I think the best way to get people to the two closest body compositions is putting them on the same drugs....Still won't be accurate because they have a different genetic structure and probably have different bases to start with...But training and diet won't mould you even close...At least drugs will get you in the realm somewhat

Twaddle

• Getbig V
What do you mean, "what makes up the calorie?" A calorie exists. Its not like a calorie is made up of anything. Please expand on your answer.

I mean, what the calorie is derived from.  Sugar, Carbohydrate, Fat, Alcohol.   :)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Do we all agree that to lose fat, one must be in a caloric deficit?

There seems to be a believe in "Low Carb Community" that you can eat as much fat as you want as long as carb intake is kept low. Of course, most who believe this are fat.

Davidtheman100

• Getbig IV
  • Kill it

There seems to be a believe in "Low Carb Community" that you can eat as much fat as you want as long as carb intake is kept low. Of course, most who believe this are fat.

You can lose fat in a caloric surplus with certain drugs....As a natural the only way you can do this is if it's in your beginning stages of lifting i.e the first 6-8 months where you respond to the weight training extremely well

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Omg U guys
Just go to the gym lift and have fun
Do what ever u want

Holy crap
w

Simple Simon

If you keep fats low to moderate (no more that 25%) its virtually impossible to overeat on a zero carb diet, the body self regulates and you just don't want to eat any more

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
If you keep fats low to moderate (no more that 25%) its virtually impossible to overeat on a zero carb diet, the body self regulates and you just don't want to eat any more

This is true with real food, but, low carb junk food has become a cottage industry. People are wolfing down Atkin bars all day at 250 calories. The fat will find ways to overeat.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
No benefit whatosever compared to one day a week per muscle group.

Hope this helps.

You're hardly an authority on anything to do with muscle, hth

Simple Simon

This is true with real food, but, low carb junk food has become a cottage industry. People are wolfing down Atkin bars all day at 250 calories. The fat will find ways to overeat.
Low carb junk food must be high fat, thats why they over eat.
As said, watch the fat intake and you can eat as much as you like of lean protein sources.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace

You will look exactly the same either way... Do whatever turns you on, if you want to spend hrs in the gym for less results go for it...

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Everyone is different.  Find what works for you and do that even if the shredded competitor next door with 10 plastic bb trophies says you're crazy.

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
Omg U guys
Just go to the gym lift and have fun
Do what ever u want

Holy crap

EXACTLY !!  I don't even set a "routine" - I just go to the gym and do what I feel like doing. Some days intense and some days not so much. I will quit training before I get overly analytical.

BUT - if being anal and over-thinking is what you enjoy - then by all means do it. There is NO right or wrong answer.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
BUT - if being anal and over-thinking is what you enjoy - then by all means do it. There is NO right or wrong answer.

So then why the fuck do you always cast judgement about how much time someone posts here, reads this forum, etc?  Same rules should apply, no?
Y

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
I'd have no life if I tried to hit every muscle twice a week.....fuck, I enjoy lifting but it's not how I make my $ and I'd rather spend the extra time with my kids.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud

You will look exactly the same either way... Do whatever turns you on, if you want to spend hrs in the gym for less results go for it...

When you're young, you think you'll keep growing forever. The reality is that once you hit your mid to late 20s, you are what you are. It's all maintenance from there. Once a week is all anyone, who has been lifting for years, needs.