Author Topic: Let's talk about bare knuckle boxing & gypsy prize fighters...  (Read 2608 times)

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
Let's talk about bare knuckle boxing & gypsy prize fighters...
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
Anyone seen any footage of, or know of Bartley Gorman? Seems every couple years of my life I read something for stumble across to YouTube video that gets me in to studying the history and watching fights of various bare knuckle boxers (Kimbo a decade ago, Tyson Fury now fighting for boxing heavy weight championship) and wondering about the general effectiveness of the styles (in similar ruled matches obviously they could not compete well in MMA or against BJJ guys with more open rules). However I do immensely respect the old champions, as they do/did actually fight and they are very tough breed of human beings.

Years ago I read the biography of Lenny McLean which led me to watch a YouTube video of Ray Shaw knocking him out cold in seconds, to hearing that Bartley Gorman beat them both fairly easily, and recently saw some YouTube biographies of Bartley. I don't see this guy in his prime beating even a fighter like Kimbo. A lot of guys used to bag on Kimbo's skills, but compared to these gypsy prizefighters his skill level seemed infinitely more sophisticated. Kimbo did mechanically throw good punches, kept his hands up, and had good head movement, watching Bartley some of these gypsies even training on the heavy bag, I don't see a particular terrific skill set does anyone else?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Re: Let's talk about bare knuckle boxing & gypsy prize fighters...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
did you try sherdog or something  ???

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »
Fuck... Darren avery will spunk his pants at the mere thread title...

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:30:42 AM »
TL;DR;DC;FY;KHTKY;TY;FO

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »
Anyone seen any footage of, or know of Bartley Gorman? Seems every couple years of my life I read something for stumble across to YouTube video that gets me in to studying the history and watching fights of various bare knuckle boxers (Kimbo a decade ago, Tyson Fury now fighting for boxing heavy weight championship) and wondering about the general effectiveness of the styles (in similar ruled matches obviously they could not compete well in MMA or against BJJ guys with more open rules). However I do immensely respect the old champions, as they do/did actually fight and they are very tough breed of human beings.

Years ago I read the biography of Lenny McLean which led me to watch a YouTube video of Ray Shaw knocking him out cold in seconds, to hearing that Bartley Gorman beat them both fairly easily, and recently saw some YouTube biographies of Bartley. I don't see this guy in his prime beating even a fighter like Kimbo. A lot of guys used to bag on Kimbo's skills, but compared to these gypsy prizefighters his skill level seemed infinitely more sophisticated. Kimbo did mechanically throw good punches, kept his hands up, and had good head movement, watching Bartley some of these gypsies even training on the heavy bag, I don't see a particular terrific skill set does anyone else?

I also think Kimbo was prety up there in age when he first started as well

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »
Set it up
"

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
i can still remember the excitement when a new kimbo fight would get posted up. they were all to rare.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »
bare kuckle boxing died in the late 1800s when there was no such things as gloves or barely any rules

if your still bare knuckle boxing these days your either a drunken fool or dont have what it takes to be a real boxer

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
There was a documentary on netflix about bareknuckle gypsy uk fuckers and scottish guys . Forget the name of it

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
What about Moose Knuckle boxing?

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
I read Bartley Gormans autobiography it is well worth a read. Parts are no doubt made up but its very entertaining.

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:29:03 PM »
bare knuckle boxers always remind me of when Homer Simpson started boxing and was too dumb to be knocked out.

These guys have very little skill and the guy who wins is normally the guy who cant get knocked out and just doesnt quit.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »
What about former astronauts punching dipshits in the face?