Author Topic: Is Progressive Overload Required to make Gains?  (Read 5374 times)

NickEdge779

• Getbig III
Is Progressive Overload Required to make Gains?
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
I've seen some really weak jacked guys and I've seen some really strong skinny guys. So it's always confusing hearing the progressive overload is required to gain mass.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
Re: Is Progressive Overload Required to make Gains?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »
Genetics.....its that simple

The longer i work out the more i realize all these rep schemes, overloads, whatever...all bullshit.
Your body responds to simple weight lifting, or it doesnt...when it doesnt, then people start racking their brain with schemes and crazy things. It never works. Thats where trainers come in with theories and supplements and try to capitalize on people who cant make gainsq

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:39:58 PM »
Genetics.....its that simple

The longer i work out the more i realize all these rep schemes, overloads, whatever...all bullshit.
Your body responds to simple weight lifting, or it doesnt...when it doesnt, then people start racking their brain with schemes and crazy things. It never works. Thats where trainers come in with theories and supplements and try to capitalize on people who cant make gainsq

This ^

It's just true. I realised that after yearsss of training. Just lift. Some ppl after 5 years of training can't bench 225lbs, other are benching 275 for 10 reps or more. Some guy will be good at  squat, other at deadlift. Guy will gain muscle lifting light, other lifting heavy.

Most important, having pleasure at gym. Are set of 5 good at gaining strenght ? For me set of 5 are ok for squat and dead, for benching it's more 12/15 reps.
asstropin

kohl

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 02:53:43 AM »
The longer you train, the less progressive overload is necessary to make gains.

Time under tension and higer rep range are more important. Most BB make the mistake of training in too low rep ranges.

High intensity (failure) will compromize total volume, so you need to carefully balance that, or alter periods of training to failure with periods of moderate intensity high(er) volume training.

When you are over your top in terms of strength (over 35) you definitely don't need progressive overload anymore for hypertrophy.

Many bodybuilders increased in muscle mass while training much lighter then before.

Big guys like Nasser, Dillet, Cutler and Wolf trained hard when they were younger, but as they were not weightlifters they didn't overdo and once they reached a decent strenght level they started accumulating muscle mass by specific hypertrophy training.

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:15:12 AM »
yes I think it is necessary. but i don't think has to be strictly heavier weight, could be more reps with same weight, shorter rest between sets etc, anything that makes the muscle work harder. but logically, it stands to reason that if you just keep working the muscle to the same degree it has no reason to get any bigger to complete the same task.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:20:35 AM »
I used to think that it was absolutely necessary. I've now come to the realization that genetics, nutrition, rest, supplementation, and consistency are way more important. I liked better when I thought that having the perfect training plan and session was the most important component.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 07:08:58 AM »
No, you can gain with age. With carbs. With drugs. By reps. By technique. By starting working out after a layoff.

Not a requirement.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »
all good posts here ,,,all the factors play roll,,thong maniac said the most important 'genetics'''how big one can get,how lean,how much drugs or little needed to improve if thats your goal,longevity of being able train consistent ,injury free,being able to eat to gain/lose without issues'like digestion or kidney'finding the balance that you can use for life in trying to achieve your personal top physique or strenght goal around lifes other important matters.like work of course ,marriage'kids/a home/family 'mom/dad/siblings healthy relashionships maintained,,,bbing or following a bbing lifestyle requires a lot of selfeshness on ones part ,finding a healthy balance takes effort ,,

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 07:25:18 AM »
all good posts here ,,,all the factors play roll,,thong maniac said the most important 'genetics'''how big one can get,how lean,how much drugs or little needed to improve if thats your goal,longevity of being able train consistent ,injury free,being able to eat to gain/lose without issues'like digestion or kidney'finding the balance that you can use for life in trying to achieve your personal top physique or strenght goal around lifes other important matters.like work of course ,marriage'kids/a home/family 'mom/dad/siblings healthy relashionships maintained,,,bbing or following a bbing lifestyle requires a lot of selfeshness on ones part ,finding a healthy balance takes effort ,,

Why did you write that like gh15?

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
Why did you write that like gh15?

I'm guessing he posts from his phone?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »
I'm guessing he posts from his phone?
no computer  ;D..gh15 accused ne of using ,,,,, like him.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »
Intensity is the key after years of training,not just adding weight to the bar as this will become damned near impossible to do after a while.

Rest less between sets,TUT,Drop-sets,super-sets,running the rack,1+1/2 reps = 1 rep,tri-sets,etc.etc.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Intensity is the key after years of training,not just adding weight to the bar as this will become damned near impossible to do after a while.

Rest less between sets,TUT,Drop-sets,super-sets,running the rack,1+1/2 reps = 1 rep,tri-sets,etc.etc.
all of this.i do them all in a week or around some heavy days.its a great way to avoid boredom and redundant same type training day in and out'like the training notebook types'that log every rep/weight done after each set ..

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 07:34:11 AM »
My shoulders get sore if I push the high reps / pump format too long.

Feels like bursitis or something. Won't hurt 'til the next day or so.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 07:37:02 AM »
all of this.i do them all in a week or around some heavy days.its a great way to avoid boredom and redundant same type training day in and out'like the training notebook types'that log every rep/weight done after each set ..
I agree,been training like this for years,I still go as heavy as I can during all of it,but I normally keep the reps higher and consistant good form along with a little bit of "controlled cheating" here and there on the last couple of reps.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 07:40:23 AM »
I agree,been training like this for years,I still go as heavy as I can during all of it,but I normally keep the reps higher and consistant good form along with a little bit of "controlled cheating" here and there on the last couple of reps.
people think supersetting means lighter weight,,yes you will a bit of strenght on some of it ,,but you can still push close to the peak weight you use on normal 'rest 'sets with a given drop/super/trisets,,and the pumps are amazing..

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 07:40:55 AM »
"Progressive Overload" is mostly for the smaller guys.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 07:42:50 AM »
people think supersetting means lighter weight,,yes you will a bit of strenght on some of it ,,but you can still push close to the peak weight you use on normal 'rest 'sets with a given drop/super/trisets,,and the pumps are amazing..
Yup,you still have to bust ass in spite of the shorter rest periods.

Regular people in the gym, (not the guys here,or most of us anyway),forget that the word workout has the word work in it.

They think they`ll make progress just by showing up or by osmosis or some shit!  :)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
"Progressive Overload" is mostly for the smaller guys.
being a smaller guy i'll take it...

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 07:53:26 AM »
I'm an old guy with limited, average genetics.  What I think now is that your body will reflect what you demand of it, and right now that means a LOT more volume is required for me.  And my best at this point wouldn't be all that great  :'( >:( ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »
How strong can you get if progressive overload is the key?  If you train hard for five years are you going to continue to up the poundages used? 

If getting stronger is the key we would all be doing sets of one rep trying to improve our strength. Bodybuilding is the endurance athlete of the strength set. Improving muscular endurance is the main factor. I'm not talking about cardio.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
I get much more hypertrophy out of TUT and different rep speed schemes than pure progressive overload. Of course, at my advanced age, I am risk-averse to large weights, so I haven't done a real progressive scheme in years.

aestheticsuk

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »
How strong can you get if progressive overload is the key?  If you train hard for five years are you going to continue to up the poundages used? 

If getting stronger is the key we would all be doing sets of one rep trying to improve our strength. Bodybuilding is the endurance athlete of the strength set. Improving muscular endurance is the main factor. I'm not talking about cardio.

this

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »

Think a lot of people in this thread are misunderstanding the meaning of progressive overload. it doesn't simply meaning keep upping the weight. it means  progressively overloading the amount of stress put on the muscle, which can be done in a number of ways other than just upping weight.

sure after a certain time most people come to a point where they hit their maximum potential and find it very difficult to increase the intensity of their workouts any further, but at that point they also stop making any further gains and either just maintain or regress.

so the answer to the OP question is yes, progressive overload is required to keep making gains. if you keep doing the same workout with same weights/reps/rest times you will at best maintain, you will not make any further strength/mass gains without adding further stress to muscle.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »
progressive overload until you get to a point where you are lifting heavy enough (which is relative to the individual).

after that point it is all voodoo