Author Topic: Cool places to work out  (Read 4655 times)

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
Cool places to work out
« on: March 07, 2006, 11:11:46 AM »
Thought I would share my interesting little gym with you guys.  This place is an abandoned gym that was put out of business because it was losing money to the local fitness center.  I, along with about four other guys, pay the owner a little each month just to cover utilities.  It might be 1000 sq feet, and is about as basic as it gets.  Dank, dark, rusty, its awsome!  Here is the equipment:

Flat bench
incline
squat rack
cable crossover
t-bar
dip bar
pull down
cable row(sit on the floor)
Leg press(practically useless)
combo leg ext/curl(also usleless)
preacher bench(doubles as seat for shoulder press)

Plus, the equipment is homemade, so the action is kinda loose.  The only thing I would add is heavier DBs.  they only go to 80.  Plus I'm a personal trainer at a Planet Fitness (pussy gym), so I can work out there too if need be, but I hardly ever do.

Anyone else have a cool place to work out?  I wish the dungeon gym would make a comeback.
The General

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Cool places to work out
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:41:47 AM »
sounds pretty cool...the heaviest dumbells definatley are the only draw back of what you said. how come the leg press is useless?
bodybuildersreality.com

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:30:41 PM »
The footplate is angled wrong, and it doesn't slide well.  most of the resistance comes from the machine, rather than the loaded plates.
The General

txhulk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:20:17 PM »
just add some heavy db and it sounds like a bad *ss gym to train at.if it was in my town i'd train there  p.s *uck the leg press just squat man

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 06:46:36 PM »
my gym is alright.....its called california total...sort of hardcore, but the dumbells only go up to 120...so i cant do heavy db shrugs and it limits me on bent over rows.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:29:10 AM »
my gym is alright.....its called california total...sort of hardcore, but the dumbells only go up to 120...so i cant do heavy db shrugs and it limits me on bent over rows.
There was a gym in my town, it flourished through the 90s then around 2001 it closed down. There were pics of members who had competed up on the walls...everything was metal and clangy, the dumbs went to 160, there were big garage doors that opened up in the summer...everyone talked about their cycles openly. It was awesome! It shut down because the staff would let their friends in for free and the gym just didnt make enough money any more :( its been totally re done now and its totally oppisite of what it used to be, but still a good gym.
bodybuildersreality.com

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 11:24:30 AM »
The first post kind of sounds like somethingwe did here way backwhen Gold's Gym opened in Honolulu.  Even though it was a Gold's it was closer to a 24 Hour Fitness (which it is now).  You know a very clean not noisy, place with just allot of people.  The real gym to train at was called The Gym.  It wasawesome and the perfect place totrain.  The atmosphere was so energetic, the dumbelss went up to 300 bad A/C loud music and just a great place to train.  Just about every employee at Gold's trained there and just about all the serious lifters trained there.  Great place

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13:45 PM »
sounds awesome! and it was in Honalulu!?! I'd love to go there.
bodybuildersreality.com

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 06:11:53 PM »
fitness 2000 owned by some old german strongman 20$ a month i been to metroflex and that gym seems alot nicer than mine but its got wat you need never a line and there is always a spot

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »
having no line up is always nice....im curious as to how much you guys paid a month at these dungeon gyms???
bodybuildersreality.com

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 08:14:51 PM »
I would like to work out in the girls changing room.  :-*
just push some weight!

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »
having no line up is always nice....im curious as to how much you guys paid a month at these dungeon gyms???
like 15 bucks a month....thats what i pay.    not really a "dungeon gym" ..but theres no physical trainer running around with those inflatable balls...just primarily dudes trying to get bigger.

(125 a year)
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Slick Vic

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 09:40:38 AM »
The coolest place to work out, for me, will ALWAYS and FOREVER be Gold's/Venice. Oh, how I miss it.  :'(

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 10:05:38 AM »
like 15 bucks a month....thats what i pay.    not really a "dungeon gym" ..but theres no physical trainer running around with those inflatable balls...just primarily dudes trying to get bigger.

(125 a year)
whoa! only 15...if i wasn't getting mine for free i'd be paying 53$ a month! but thats at a new golds..still very expensive though.
bodybuildersreality.com

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 01:55:40 PM »
mine

txhulk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 10:39:08 PM »
nice man, i'm stuck at a 24 hour place :'(

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 06:56:51 PM »
I worked out at Golds back in the day when me , Arnold, Franco and my main man robby was cool nah mean jack. Waller acted  like it was the thing you know man to take Katzies shirt ...
L