Author Topic: Matthew 12:32  (Read 12129 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Matthew 12:32
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »
He'll bring up the birth of Christ and all the prophecies that were fulfilled. I'll point out the anonymous authors of the gospels had access to the prophecies and when they wrote them (Gospels) decades after his alleged death, they simply plugged them in, often times erroneously.  Thing is, I think some people due to issues... need to believe in something regardless of the truth of it. My sister has dealt with severe depression and health issues for years that I think only her belief in an afterlife and the biblical god gives her any reason to continue on. Maybe this belief in some way saves Tbombz from some serious issues down the road...  

So you're simply suggesting that the gospel writers lied?  What was the incentive for lying?

Are you critical of jewish scripture being accessible by jews?

What were the erroneous "plug ins"?  

Jesus Christ wasn't crucified?  Romans didn't kill him?  Experts in pain, torture and murder couldn't kill him?

Which gospels were anonymously written?  How is that opinion validated?  

I'm smelling a lot of Carrier and Ehrman-esque scholarship here.  Or is this just Rook's Rational Response Squad or Hemant Mehta's youtube stuff?   ;D

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »
So you're simply suggesting that the gospel writers lied?

You'll agree that it's at least a possibility, no? I mean, heck, if it's possible that there exist a God who made the sun stand still in the sky, then surely it's possible that the gospel that the gospel writers lied. But even if they didn't aren't there other, more mundane, explanations? Like, perhaps they were crazy?

What was the incentive for lying?

What incentive did the people who wrote other religious texts, say Laozi (author of the Tao Te Ching, or the authors of the Vedas have to lie? Isn't wanting to convert people to your thinking and getting them to adapt your morality incentive enough? Could they not have been pathological liars, or, for that matter, just a little bit crazy?

Jesus Christ wasn't crucified?  Romans didn't kill him?  Experts in pain, torture and murder couldn't kill him?

Plenty of people were crucified before and after. Was Jesus Christ crucified? Maybe, maybe not. Before we get to that question, we need to ask, was the Jesus of the gospels a real person, or a composite?

Let's start at the end, shall we? Do we know the identity of the author of the Book of Revelation? He identifies himself only as John. John who? When did "John" write this work? And since we're talking about Johns, who wrote the Book of John?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »
You'll agree that it's at least a possibility, no? I mean, heck, if it's possible that there exist a God who made the sun stand still in the sky, then surely it's possible that the gospel that the gospel writers lied. But even if they didn't aren't there other, more mundane, explanations? Like, perhaps they were crazy?

What incentive did the people who wrote other religious texts, say Laozi (author of the Tao Te Ching, or the authors of the Vedas have to lie? Isn't wanting to convert people to your thinking and getting them to adapt your morality incentive enough? Could they not have been pathological liars, or, for that matter, just a little bit crazy?

Plenty of people were crucified before and after. Was Jesus Christ crucified? Maybe, maybe not. Before we get to that question, we need to ask, was the Jesus of the gospels a real person, or a composite?

Let's start at the end, shall we? Do we know the identity of the author of the Book of Revelation? He identifies himself only as John. John who? When did "John" write this work? And since we're talking about Johns, who wrote the Book of John?

It's actually tough for me to deny the gospel writers, but from a perspective of non-belief it's possible.  From that perspective it's also possible they were crazy.

Primary difference I see is that history doesn't show taoists being systematically eliminated for the Tao Te Ching or Hindus being wiped out because of the Vedas like Christians were for their adherence to Christ and the gospel.   To be a Christian meant your life could be taken at any moment.....Christ was both beloved and hated (as were his followers).   It's hard for me to buy into the idea that Christians would invent the character of Jesus Christ, fabricate the gospels and then perpetuate that lie by publically testifying about it to all that would hear knowing full well that they could be murdered at any time because of the significant opposition.  Now labeling these folks as crazy (from a persepctive of non-belief) could seem reasonable, but also seems convenient.

Well certainly those that oppose Jesus Christ seek to dismantle him and his story at every turn and cling to anything that may be even slightly suspect.    There's no real mystery there.  The vast majority of these folks will analysis the minutia, but use that as excuse to never go right to the source in Jesus Christ.  Folks are looking for any reason not to do so.  I'm not suggesting that anti-Christ folks haven't put forth some very convincing arguments and I'm not calling them liars either.  I just believe they're so overcome with suppression of the truth that they refuse to seek to truth from the source.  A good portion of Bill Maher's Religulous was dedicated to proving that Jesus Christ was invented or that his story was invented.....pieced together from various mystery religions.  Maher introduced a new generation to old arguments and just left out the part that they were debunked.

John the Apostle has been determined as the author of the Gospel of John, John 1, John 2, John 3 and Revelation.  Biblical scholars that are also believers widely hold to this view (some do not...that's fine).   And of course those that oppose Christ for the most part deny John the Apostle as author of part or all of it.  Not all feel that way.  There have been instances in which Richard Carrier disagrees wiht Bart Ehrman.  It's fine by me....they can go about fighting amongst themselves.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
Primary difference I see is that history doesn't show taoists being systematically eliminated for the Tao Te Ching or Hindus being wiped out because of the Vedas like Christians were for their adherence to Christ and the gospel.   To be a Christian meant your life could be taken at any moment.....Christ was both beloved and hated (as were his followers).   It's hard for me to buy into the idea that Christians would invent the character of Jesus Christ, fabricate the gospels and then perpetuate that lie by publically testifying about it to all that would hear knowing full well that they could be murdered at any time because of the significant opposition.  Now labeling these folks as crazy (from a persepctive of non-belief) could seem reasonable, but also seems convenient.

The "crazy" label, if you can call it a label, was more of a comment on why the "but why would the authors lie?" question by tbombz. The point was that people can make false statements and do so without lying or a motive to lie. So when you tell me "I believe in Jesus and the resurrection" or "Belief in Jesus is required for salvation" I don't think you're lying. I may think you're wrong but that's not the same as lying.

You do raise an interesting point though - why would the early Christians stick by their beliefs even in the face of persecution. People are willing to put up with a lot for their beliefs. Look at any number of cults. One example that sticks out for me is the followers of Harold Camping went through and what they did - some going so far as to spend all their money and go heavily into debt, despite of the whole world laughing at them. Sure, there's a difference: the followers of Camping only faced ridicule, but the point is that people are driven to act consistently with their beliefs.

Additionally, we need to consider that, on historical time scales, any organized persecution didn't last long. In fact, the Romans mostly ignored Christians until roughly around 60AD, after which time they promulgated anti-Christian policies that were, eventually, eliminated by Constantine the Great, himself a Christian, around 300AD. There's no doubt that Christians died. There's no doubt, even, that some died before 60AD as well as after 300AD. But the fact is that the idea that most people today have that anyone suspected as a Christian was subject to persecution and would have been thrown to the lions, or otherwise disposed of, is historically inaccurate.

Well certainly those that oppose Jesus Christ seek to dismantle him and his story at every turn and cling to anything that may be even slightly suspect.    There's no real mystery there.  The vast majority of these folks will analysis the minutia, but use that as excuse to never go right to the source in Jesus Christ.  Folks are looking for any reason not to do so.  I'm not suggesting that anti-Christ folks haven't put forth some very convincing arguments and I'm not calling them liars either.  I just believe they're so overcome with suppression of the truth that they refuse to seek to truth from the source.  A good portion of Bill Maher's Religulous was dedicated to proving that Jesus Christ was invented or that his story was invented.....pieced together from various mystery religions.  Maher introduced a new generation to old arguments and just left out the part that they were debunked.

I found Religulous equal parts funny, insightful and frustrating. I thought Maher (whom I generally dislike) made some great points, but he also made fun of people and only looked at the matter superficially and didn't really try to make a robust case for atheism. Perhaps that criticism is somewhat unfair - it was meant to be a movie after all, not a graduate course in philosophy. But I'd have liked a bit more seriousness from the movie.

John the Apostle has been determined as the author of the Gospel of John, John 1, John 2, John 3 and Revelation.  Biblical scholars that are also believers widely hold to this view (some do not...that's fine).   And of course those that oppose Christ for the most part deny John the Apostle as author of part or all of it.  Not all feel that way.  There have been instances in which Richard Carrier disagrees wiht Bart Ehrman.  It's fine by me....they can go about fighting amongst themselves.

What?!? No he hasn't! Most Biblical scholars don't agree that the Apostle John authored revelation. In fact, simply reading the Gospel of John (in the original Greek) and comparing it to the Book of Revelations (again, in the original Greek) is enough to convince most people who have even a moderate command of the language that the two don't share a common author.

If you do have links to any serious analysis that links John the Apostle to the author of the Book of Relevations, please let me know; I'd be very interested in reading it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
So you're simply suggesting that the gospel writers lied?  What was the incentive for lying?

Are you critical of jewish scripture being accessible by jews?

What were the erroneous "plug ins"?  

I'm smelling a lot of Carrier and Ehrman-esque scholarship here.  Or is this just Rook's Rational Response Squad or Hemant Mehta's youtube stuff?   ;D

Have you considered what the writers wrote (or told) in the old and new testaments is not what we are reading today?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
Additionally, we need to consider that, on historical time scales, any organized persecution didn't last long. In fact, the Romans mostly ignored Christians until roughly around 60AD, after which time they promulgated anti-Christian policies that were, eventually, eliminated by Constantine the Great, himself a Christian, around 300AD. There's no doubt that Christians died. There's no doubt, even, that some died before 60AD as well as after 300AD. But the fact is that the idea that most people today have that anyone suspected as a Christian was subject to persecution and would have been thrown to the lions, or otherwise disposed of, is historically inaccurate.

A Christian? Quite an understatement, no? THE Christian, I'd say. Who brings us to today: two billion-plus worldwide, including some 80% of Americans.

If not for that one man ...

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:29 PM »
Have you considered what the writers wrote (or told) in the old and new testaments is not what we are reading today?

Yes, I have considered that.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
Yes, I have considered that.

Really? Because I'd never even considered the possibility until that post.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »
The "crazy" label, if you can call it a label, was more of a comment on why the "but why would the authors lie?" question by tbombz. The point was that people can make false statements and do so without lying or a motive to lie. So when you tell me "I believe in Jesus and the resurrection" or "Belief in Jesus is required for salvation" I don't think you're lying. I may think you're wrong but that's not the same as lying.

You do raise an interesting point though - why would the early Christians stick by their beliefs even in the face of persecution. People are willing to put up with a lot for their beliefs. Look at any number of cults. One example that sticks out for me is the followers of Harold Camping went through and what they did - some going so far as to spend all their money and go heavily into debt, despite of the whole world laughing at them. Sure, there's a difference: the followers of Camping only faced ridicule, but the point is that people are driven to act consistently with their beliefs.

I found Religulous equal parts funny, insightful and frustrating. I thought Maher (whom I generally dislike) made some great points, but he also made fun of people and only looked at the matter superficially and didn't really try to make a robust case for atheism. Perhaps that criticism is somewhat unfair - it was meant to be a movie after all, not a graduate course in philosophy. But I'd have liked a bit more seriousness from the movie.

What?!? No he hasn't! Most Biblical scholars don't agree that the Apostle John authored revelation. In fact, simply reading the Gospel of John (in the original Greek) and comparing it to the Book of Revelations (again, in the original Greek) is enough to convince most people who have even a moderate command of the language that the two don't share a common author.

If you do have links to any serious analysis that links John the Apostle to the author of the Book of Relevations, please let me know; I'd be very interested in reading it.

I agree, people can make false statements without an intent to lie.  I myself have made incorrect statements at times with the best of intentions.

I agree, in the grand scope of history the severe persecution of Christians was a relatively short period of time and yes Constantine aligned himself with Christians and did all he could to end the persecution and keep the peace.    Although, when we consider the span of dates of the persecution and the damage inflicted it was significant.  If we use your time scale with dates between 60AD and 300AD that's 240 years.  That's almost the exact span of time that elapsed for the entire history of the USA (239 years.....approx 1776AD - 2015AD).  Not a lot of time, but think of the volume of significant events that have occurred in that short period of time involving one superpower in Great Britian and the newly formed nation of the United States (that really occurred over very few years).   People's lives can be irreparably harmed in a short time.  Lives can be completely snuffed out in seconds.   I think Constantine's action in the early 300s speaks volumes of the lasting persecution that did occur and how fresh the wounds were.  Constantine was so desirous of peace that even though Christians were much more protected under his leadership that even disagreement within their ranks was cause for him to act quickly to keep what little and lasting peace was being enjoyed at that time.   Hence the council of Nicea to discuss the concept of Arianism.  

First and foremost, Bill Maher is a stand-up comedian LOL and most young people today get their news and opinions from Comedy Central (or HBO in Bill's case).

Unfortunately I don't have links to materials.  I have various study bibles with commentary that preface the each book of scripture amd affirm what I've stated.  I have other books from Christian apologists that affirm the same, but again nothing I could provide a link to.  I have read commentary online about the "John" books of the NT, but I can't remember where I read it...wasn't a concentrated study I underwent in which I would catalog links.  Most opinions I've read affirm the apostle John's authorship, but there are both believers and nonbelievers that feel differently....I don't hide that fact.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »

We have Old Testament scriptures that date back to the year ~250 B.C. and we have New Testament scriptures that date back to the year ~100 A.D.

There is a lot of really good research on this subject.

Here is a single link for you:   http://irr.org/todays-bible-real-bible

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 09:55:57 PM »
We have Old Testament scriptures that date back to the year ~250 B.C. and we have New Testament scriptures that date back to the year ~100 A.D.

There is a lot of really good research on this subject.

Here is a single link for you:   http://irr.org/todays-bible-real-bible

Hey... weren't you the guy that was telling us about how the "meaning" of words changed to explain why the text shouldn't be taken at face value? Now, because it suits your purposes, you want to pretend as if the text is the same? You can't have it both ways. The fact of the matter is that the texts of the Bible have been interpreted, reinterpreted, translated and massaged over centuries. To claim that today's text is the same as the original is simply laughable. And to claim that the meaning of the text remains despite the alterations is demonstrably false.

Forget differences of intepretation... the problem is deeper: the various Christian sects can't even agree what is and isn't in the in the Bible! For example, Pentecostals exclude texts that the Orthodox and Catholic Churches include.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
The ancient manuscripts have not changed, we have them in our possession.  Language over time has Changed, and thus the need for new translations. But the original text remains the same.

Truth does not require unanimous consent :)

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 02:40:34 AM »
The ancient manuscripts have not changed, we have them in our possession.  Language over time has Changed, and thus the need for new translations. But the original text remains the same.

[Cue joke about how God can't make his words immutable enough (or clear enough) that no translation is needed...]

While it's true that the ancient manuscripts haven't changed, what we include in the Bible has. Whether you're talking about the OT or the NT, books were added and removed, just as their content was edited and massaged, and the editing and the massaging go way beyond what's needed to account for language change - whether the change is semantic, syntactic or lexical.

Truth does not require unanimous consent :)

It does not. Tell me, is this where you claim your particular sect of a particular religion is true, as proven by the particular holy book that one must first accept as true on faith?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
your the one who tried to make the argument that Christian truth could not be trusted because there is not unanimous consent among all Christians about specific interpretations of the Bible.

if you agree that truth does not need unanimous consent, then you simply admit that you made a very stupid argument.

:)

as for what books are in the Bible, the New Testament has always had the same 27 books.

the discussion regarding the number of books in the Old Testament, whether its 39 or 46, is an interesting and complex one - but so is the discussion about canonization in general. 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »
your the one who tried to make the argument that Christian truth could not be trusted because there is not unanimous consent among all Christians about specific interpretations of the Bible.

You misunderstand: I was challenging the notion that this is clear, divinely inspired text. It's very obviously not clear, since (even if you ignore all the changes it's undergone) it has so many different interpretations, by so many sects.

if you agree that truth does not need unanimous consent, then you simply admit that you made a very stupid argument.

While truth does not need unanimous consent, your failure to understand my argument doesn't make the argument stupid.

as for what books are in the Bible, the New Testament has always had the same 27 books.

Which, despite being the divine word of God, lend themselves to hundreds of interpretations...

the discussion regarding the number of books in the Old Testament, whether its 39 or 46, is an interesting and complex one - but so is the discussion about canonization in general.

So let me get this straight - the discussion of which books belong in the Bible is interesting and complex, as is the discussion of canonicalization, but the word of God is divinely inspired and perfectly transmitted through the ages, "edited" and "revised" as languages change?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2015, 02:37:55 AM »
AVXO,  whats your question?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »
AVXO,  whats your question?

Can you provide a rational and logically consistent proof that the God you believe in actually exists that does not, as a precondition, require me to first believe that your God exists?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »
Can you to provide a rational and logically consistent proof that the God you believe in actually exists that does not, as a precondition, require me to first believe that your God exists?

I know you asked Taylor,  but my answer is simple and sincere:

I have absolutely nothing else to provide you (or anyone else for that matter) that I haven't already in regards to your question.  Certainly y'all remain in my prayers and I care a great deal.

Again, that's just me.  Perhaps other believers will come forward that can provide better guidance.  

I can continue responding to biblical objections put forth (and sharing the gospel),  but instead of always taking the time to craft personal replies I think I'm just going to provide links to answers and/or copy and paste articles.  It's probably simpler that way.   If it's better than I write my own version of a response then I'll do that.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »
I know you asked Taylor,  but my answer is simple and sincere:

I have absolutely nothing else to provide you (or anyone else for that matter) that I haven't already in regards to your question.  Certainly y'all remain in my prayers and I care a great deal.

Again, that's just me.  Perhaps other believers will come forward that can provide better guidance.  

I can continue responding to biblical objections put forth (and sharing the gospel),  but instead of always taking the time to craft personal replies I think I'm just going to provide links to answers and/or copy and paste articles.  It's probably simpler that way.   If it's better than I write my own version of a response then I'll do that.

Thanks. You've been open to debating the topic with me and willing to engage and read my posts without taking offense. I appreciate it.

My question was mostly rhetorical - I didn't really expect an answer.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2015, 09:12:11 AM »
Thanks. You've been open to debating the topic with me and willing to engage and read my posts without taking offense. I appreciate it.

My question was mostly rhetorical - I didn't really expect an answer.

Thing is, I do care a great deal about the members of this board and love them with a love grounded in Jesus Christ.

I'm able to answer lots of questions and respond to lots of objections, but I can't always satisfy folks completely and I admit that.

I'll continue to engage with you as well....that won't stop. 

I think today answers can be simplified....I think its better that way. 

I've made the mistake of flowery presentation in the past and although it does have its place I think simplicity is best.