Author Topic: Does God Have Free Will?  (Read 17074 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: Does God Have Free Will?
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
Well, looking at a cake and eating a cake are not the same thing in God's eyes, but looking at a cake and desiring to eat that cake that isn't your cake he does consider the same as actually eating the cake.....sticking with the cake example.   ;)

So, to your God, looking at a cake through a bakery store front and imaging eating said cake without, yet, having purchased it. And having imagined yourself eating the cake that is on display, you are guilty as if you had actually eaten the cake without having paid for it and must be punished.

How is this moral or rational?

It's the same with anger towards someone in that God considers that murder committed in our hearts.

Murder isn't committed in our hearts. Murder is committed when one person comes up with a plan to kill another and actually goes through with it. To equate murder and anger is insane. And if your God considers being angry at someone to be the moral equivalent of murdering someone, then the problem rests squarely on your God's faulty reasoning and his wayward moral compass.

The underlying idea for believers is that we're supposed to take every thought captive and be lead through the Holy Spirit making every effort to become more Christ-like in action and thought.

The underlying idea is to bind believers by chains of their own making, in exchange for eternal freedom after a life wasted rotting in the prison of their mind.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
So, to your God, looking at a cake through a bakery store front and imaging eating said cake without, yet, having purchased it. And having imagined yourself eating the cake that is on display, you are guilty as if you had actually eaten the cake without having paid for it and must be punished.

How is this moral or rational?

Murder isn't committed in our hearts. Murder is committed when one person comes up with a plan to kill another and actually goes through with it. To equate murder and anger is insane. And if your God considers being angry at someone to be the moral equivalent of murdering someone, then the problem rests squarely on your God's faulty reasoning and his wayward moral compass.

The underlying idea is to bind believers by chains of their own making, in exchange for eternal freedom after a life wasted rotting in the prison of their mind.

That is correct. 

Not going down the morality and rationality rabbit hole again....we've done that.

Shows the depth of God's righteousness in that equates strong desire for sex with one you aren't married to as adultery and a strong sense of anger towards someone as murder.  Yes, he is that holy.   You find it insane.  And?

Sounds great.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
Not going down the morality and rationality rabbit hole again....we've done that.

In other words: "I cannot support and defend the system of morals that I claim to live by."

Shows the depth of God's righteousness in that equates strong desire for sex with one you aren't married to as adultery and a strong sense of anger towards someone as murder.  Yes, he is that holy.   You find it insane.  And?

No - to equate "anger" to "murder" isn't to be deeply righteous, or an indication of holiness; it's an indication of someone who was a warped sense of morality. And to claim that a thought is the same as an action is an indication of someone that cannot dinstinguish between thoughts and actions.

It's not that I find it insane - it's that it is insane to call these beliefs moral or rational.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »
In other words: "I cannot support and defend the system of morals that I claim to live by."

No - to equate "anger" to "murder" isn't to be deeply righteous, or an indication of holiness; it's an indication of someone who was a warped sense of morality. And to claim that a thought is the same as an action is an indication of someone that cannot dinstinguish between thoughts and actions.

It's not that I find it insane - it's that it is insane to call these beliefs moral or rational.

Never could reconcile this back when I believed, eventually stopped trying. Even as a child, I knew the whole idea of 'thought sin' was completely unfair, as it's impossible to always control what you think.

You can't will away "impure" thoughts anymore than you can control the details of a dream. And the more I heard (learned adult) churchers try to explain or rationalize this particular edict, it just made me think they were silly for not questioning it themselves.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »

No we've had repeat discussions about it.  Insulting me is useless.

Well that's your opinion and if that works for you then great.  Certainly doesn't make you right...just the opinion of one man.  I'm fine with it.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
No we've had repeat discussions about it.  Insulting me is useless.

Well that's your opinion and if that works for you then great.  Certainly doesn't make you right...just the opinion of one man.  I'm fine with it.

First of all, where did I insult you?

With that out of the way: yes, this is all my opinion and yes, it's possible that I am wrong. But just because it's possible that I am wrong doesn't mean I actually am. So I am curious: can you point out any logical flaws or errors in my arguments? Can you attack the conclusions that I draw without relying on things you can't prove without resorting to "if you first believe X"?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 07:08:05 AM »
First of all, where did I insult you?

With that out of the way: yes, this is all my opinion and yes, it's possible that I am wrong. But just because it's possible that I am wrong doesn't mean I actually am. So I am curious: can you point out any logical flaws or errors in my arguments? Can you attack the conclusions that I draw without relying on things you can't prove without resorting to "if you first believe X"?

Directed at me, this is an insult:

You know I can defend my faith.  This is just something to say because you're the type of person in which there must be a reply to everything.

Other than ad hominem attacks (that aren't really ad hominem attacks **wink**) I don't see any glaring logical fallacies.  I'm also not scrutinizing all that closely because I've already gone down most of these paths with you (in some form or fashion) in depth.    Errors in arguments....when you contradict and/or invent things God would/should do because you say he should.   Moving the goalposts on your criteria for definitions so all answers are permanently insufficient....it's your "word game" as I call it....it's a great tactic by the way.  Conveniently not understanding examples or analogies as they pertain to God when clearly you do.  Are they all fallacies?  No.  Are some tactics borderline or definite red herrings because some are meant as distraction?  Yes.   Have you done all of that within this thread?  No, but again I'm not scrutinizing your posts all that closely and talked to you for years now.....I know what's up.  

We've had lengthy discussions about all sorts of things and you reject almost everything I say.  That's fine and you're free to do so.  Why should I continue lengthy discussion?  I've done the tit for tat, point for point, quote every line, respond to almost every word or phrase approach repeatedly with you.  Back in May or June we did that over a period of almost 2 weeks....we've done it before that.....and before that.....I'm all God, you're no God...we know this.  It's fine if you want to continue posting and discussing, but don't expect that same "level of service" from me.  And because I don't don't insult me by saying I can't....you know I can.   This is probably the longest reply I'll make.  If you dissect and parse it so be it.....I won't do the same.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »
Directed at me, this is an insult:

You know I can defend my faith.  This is just something to say because you're the type of person in which there must be a reply to everything.

It's not meant as an insult. From my perspective, you cannot. Your defense boils down to: "believe what I believe first and then I can prove to you that what I say is true and defend my beliefs." Prove me wrong.

Other than ad hominem attacks (that aren't really ad hominem attacks **wink**) I don't see any glaring logical fallacies.  I'm also not scrutinizing all that closely because I've already gone down most of these paths with you (in some form or fashion) in depth.    Errors in arguments....when you contradict and/or invent things God would/should do because you say he should.   Moving the goalposts on your criteria for definitions so all answers are permanently insufficient....it's your "word game" as I call it....it's a great tactic by the way.  Conveniently not understanding examples or analogies as they pertain to God when clearly you do.  Are they all fallacies?  No.  Are some tactics borderline or definite red herrings because some are meant as distraction?  Yes.   Have you done all of that within this thread?  No, but again I'm not scrutinizing your posts all that closely and talked to you for years now.....I know what's up.  

We've had lengthy discussions about all sorts of things and you reject almost everything I say.  That's fine and you're free to do so.  Why should I continue lengthy discussion?  I've done the tit for tat, point for point, quote every line, respond to almost every word or phrase approach repeatedly with you.  Back in May or June we did that over a period of almost 2 weeks....we've done it before that.....and before that.....I'm all God, you're no God...we know this.  It's fine if you want to continue posting and discussing, but don't expect that same "level of service" from me.  And because I don't don't insult me by saying I can't....you know I can.   This is probably the longest reply I'll make.  If you dissect and parse it so be it.....I won't do the same. 

You certainly have engaged me in debate in the past and have tried to provide answers to my questions and to address my criticism. I certainly respect that.

Nobody is forcing you to continue debating this – or any topic – but I think that it speaks volumes that you cannot challenge the arguments I make without resorting to things along the lines of "well, many others believe this" and "if you believed then you'd have proof."

You have your beliefs. Good for you. I respect your right to believe whatever you want to, as long as you don't try to force those beliefs down my throat or impose your divinely-inspired theory of morality on me. You aren't, and so we are perfectly fine.

But you can't expect me to not criticize you if you present your beliefs as based on facts; to question why your God obscures himself from view but demands worship; to ask why he offers us salvation through Jesus Christ when the thing he's saving us from is his own wrath. These are serious theological questions that go to the root your beliefs!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »
How's this for incomprehensible, according to religious doctrine (Catholic), a baby is born with original sin. If this baby isn't baptized, regardless of why and it dies within hours, days months or years of having been born, it goes to "limbo" or according to St. Augustine, unbaptized children who die are condemned to hell, though they do not suffer all its pains because they are not guilty of personal sin.  

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
How's this for incomprehensible, according to religious doctrine (Catholic), a baby is born with original sin. If this baby isn't baptized, regardless of why and it dies within hours, days months or years of having been born, it goes to "limbo" or according to St. Augustine, unbaptized children who die are condemned to hell, though they do not suffer all its pains because they are not guilty of personal sin.  

Pretty whacked system.. whoever came up with it sucks

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »
Pretty whacked system.. whoever came up with it sucks

According to some, "this is the word of God."

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
According to some, "this is the word of God."

that would truly be sad... can't imagine some of the things in that book coming from a God

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »

This doctrine has changed over time, as Catholics were never quite satisfied with the fate of unbaptized babies.

First they were condemned to hell, but it was better hell; hell suburbs, I guess - horrible, but not ultimate horrible. Cooler fire, I think. (Or reversed: they went to heaven, but ghetto heaven. I forget.)

Each time, some holy fella had to go pray about it until God clarified. Obviously, He wasn't sure Himself, as His explanation kept changing. Or maybe He just caved to popular opinion, who knows.

Eventually they/He invented Limbo to shut everyone up. Like much of Catholicism, it's nowhere in the bible. Ascension of Mary is another example. God forgot to mention this part, too.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2015, 06:31:21 AM »
This doctrine has changed over time, as Catholics were never quite satisfied with the fate of unbaptized babies.

First they were condemned to hell, but it was better hell; hell suburbs, I guess - horrible, but not ultimate horrible. Cooler fire, I think. (Or reversed: they went to heaven, but ghetto heaven. I forget.)

Each time, some holy fella had to go pray about it until God clarified. Obviously, He wasn't sure Himself, as His explanation kept changing. Or maybe He just caved to popular opinion, who knows.

Eventually they/He invented Limbo to shut everyone up. Like much of Catholicism, it's nowhere in the bible. Ascension of Mary is another example. God forgot to mention this part to the authors.

good ole "sola Roma" doctrines and random papal decrees of the teaching magisterium.

catholics aren't christians.  LOL, many christians aren't christians either....sad actually.  :'(

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »
good ole "sola Roma" doctrines and random papal decrees of the teaching magisterium.

catholics aren't christians.  LOL, many christians aren't christians either....sad actually.  :'(

If by many you mean most... I agree.