Author Topic: Middle-Aged men and Harley Davidsons  (Read 17724 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Middle-Aged men and Harley Davidsons
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:51:32 PM »
No idea why this is prevalent, but it is.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
Re: Middle-Aged men and Harley Davidsons
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »
Mid say mainly mid life crisis,it is fun riding a bike so they prob feel young again.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »
People think Harleys are fast, but they're not.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:17:32 PM »
People think Harleys are fast, but they're not.

Who in the hell said they are fast? I know a ton of Harley owners and none of them bought them because they are fast.
For OP, the majority of Harley owners have always been middle aged men.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »
87% some kind of life crisis and wanna be's,.........13% genuine bikers

from the office of Rehaluk and Potato Statistics

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
I was in my 20's when I bought my first one.

Fat Boy with factory custom paint.  And no they are not fast.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »
1972 AMF era Electraglide.....

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »
87% some kind of life crisis and wanna be's,.........13% genuine bikers

from the office of Rehaluk and Potato Statistics

Close the office your wrong. If anyone over 35 or 40 buys something nice or sporty people scream mid-life crisis. Many do not buy those types of luxuries until that age because that is when the are financially capable of doing so.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »
I was 27 when I bought my first one.

Fat Boy with factory custom paint.  And no they are not fast.

Beautiful bike Walter.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 10:06:13 PM »
Beautiful bike Walter.

Thanks have always loved them. This Heritage Softail Classic also had factory custom paint.

I agree about the whole mid life crisis thing. I bought them as soon as I had the disposable cash to buy them.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »
Close the office your wrong. If anyone over 35 or 40 buys something nice or sporty people scream mid-life crisis. Many do not buy those types of luxuries until that age because that is when the are financially capable of doing so.

I openly laugh at 98.7% of people over 40 who buy one. A guy I know who has had a Harley since he was old enough too drive one  calls them "Catalogue Bikers"

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 10:54:35 PM »
Thanks have always loved them. This Heritage Softail Classic also had factory custom paint.

I agree about the whole mid life crisis thing. I bought them as soon as I had the disposable cash to buy them.

I bought a faulty heap cheap...a an AMF era model...and fiddled with it.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 11:29:45 PM »
I bought a faulty heap cheap...a an AMF era model...and fiddled with it.

AMF made some cool bikes. The whole point is to have fun. My dad always talked about the Indian he once owned in the Navy and that sparked my interest in bikes.  He also had a couple dresser Hondas so I tried them out like a bad kid is supposed to when dad is away. :)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »

A bike because the only way to get time away from his annoying family in a car is to tell them point blank that they are staying behind and he is going alone because another minute with them will result in a Shining-like situation.  The whole conversation/argument about wanting 'alone time' doesn't happen with a bike. 

A Harley because it's American.  I think.  Maybe it isn't anymore, idk.  But the important thing is that others think you're buying American.  This is why companies make a point of telling you that their product is made with pride in the USA which means that it was made entirely in China and some guy in Idaho snapped the two halves together.  If you don't buy American that guy is going to have to make his $50/day somewhere else.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »
The Harley Davidson motorcycles have an appearance that "Has Shoulders", an angularity if you will.  When I see a Harley Davidson, I think of a muscular man with good arms, shoulders and pecs.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 12:24:55 AM »

Could be because that's the peak earning years for a man and they can finally afford one. A Harley is a luxury item as well as getting a sports car and most can't justify the expense when they are still building their lives.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 02:19:52 AM »
The perfect bike for men that are overlooked by all of society. They can't get heads to turn with either their personality or their physique, so they go back to caveman basics: just make a lot of unnecessary noise, so people will have to hear (=/= listen to) them. Pathetic losers.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 02:31:32 AM »
The perfect bike for men that are overlooked by all of society. They can't get heads to turn with either their personality or their physique, so they go back to caveman basics: just make a lot of unnecessary noise, so people will have to hear (=/= listen to) them. Pathetic losers.

Ever consider that maybe they actually like Harleys? Only neglected and ignored losers buy Harleys, an American icon?

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 03:24:20 AM »
Ever consider that maybe they actually like Harleys? Only neglected and ignored losers buy Harleys, an American icon?
A lot of Harleys are dirt cheap. If they really loved them, they would have bought one decades earlier. No bullshit excuses about how 'model such and such with all options is fucking expensive'. If you really love something, you'll buy what you can afford and upgrade when possible. You don't suddenly fall in love with something that has always been available once you start losing your hair, you have no job prospects and your wife is cheating on you.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 04:34:27 AM »

what a good looking dog you had there

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 04:37:26 AM »

Very true

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 04:48:37 AM »
A lot of Harleys are dirt cheap. If they really loved them, they would have bought one decades earlier. No bullshit excuses about how 'model such and such with all options is fucking expensive'. If you really love something, you'll buy what you can afford and upgrade when possible. You don't suddenly fall in love with something that has always been available once you start losing your hair, you have no job prospects and your wife is cheating on you.

I disagree. What may be dirt cheap to you may not be for a guy with a mortgage and kids. My neighbor who is a cop and his wife a teacher with three kids was moaning about how he is going to have to come up with the money to buy a new washer.
What's a washer cost? $4-500 dollars. They make six figures between the two of them.

I don't buy the notion that every middle age guy that rides a Harley is going through a mid life crisis. it completely discounts the very real possibility that maybe they have always had Harleys since their twenties and have simply gotten older like we all do.

But it is the way of GetBig to always assume the worse in a person to make themselves feel better.  I see a middle age man riding a Harley or a expensive sports car I don't think anything of it. Some people just enjoy those things. I'm sure if many here saw Harley Briete, a middle aged man with his long graying hair and pony tail, will shake their heads and consider him another poseur trying to relive his youth.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 04:55:06 AM »

Yes!!!!

And when they are in their 50's or 60's... they will add a Corvette  ;)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 05:02:48 AM »

Spot on.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 05:04:54 AM »
There is a restaurant/grill that I drive past every day.... Nearly 100% there are a group of middle aged men staring at each other's motorcycles.

If it happened once or twice I wouldn't have even noticed it. But after seeing it every singe day.... I noticed a pattern.

I bet that they go inside and buy each other drinks; and re-tell every Harley memory that they have.