Author Topic: Criticism Of Super Size Me  (Read 1310 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Criticism Of Super Size Me
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
Wikipedia
Critics of the film, including McDonald's, argue that the author intentionally consumed an average of 5,000 calories per day and did not exercise, and that the results would have been the same regardless of the source of overeating.[15] One reviewer pointed out "he's telling us something everyone already knows: Fast food is bad for you."[16] Robert Davis of Paste implied the film is an example of "how the ignorance of, or willful distortion of, basic scientific methods is used to manipulate public opinion."[17]

In the comedic documentary reply Fat Head, Tom Naughton "suggests that Spurlock's calorie and fat counts don't add up" and criticizes Spurlock's refusal to publish the Super Size Me food log; About 1/3 of Spurlock's calories came from sugar. His nutritionist, Bridget Bennett RD, warned him about his excess intake of sugar from "milkshakes and cokes". It is revealed toward the end of the movie that over the course of the diet, he consumed "over 30 pounds (14 kg) of sugar, and over 12 pounds (5.4 kg). of fat from their food".[19]

After eating exclusively at McDonald's for one month, Soso Whaley said, "The first time I did the diet in April 2004, I lost 10 pounds (going from 175 to 165) and lowered my cholesterol from 237 to 197, a drop of 40 points." Of particular note was that she exercised regularly and did not insist on consuming more food than she otherwise would. Despite eating at only McDonald's every day, she maintained her caloric intake at around 2,000 per day. [20]

After John Cisna, a high school science teacher, lost 60 pounds while eating exclusively at McDonald's for 180 days, he said, "I'm not pushing McDonald's. I'm not pushing fast food. I'm pushing taking accountability and making the right choice for you individually... As a science teacher, I would never show Super Size Me because when I watched that, I never saw the educational value in that... I mean, a guy eats uncontrollable amounts of food, stops exercising, and the whole world is surprised he puts on weight? What I'm not proud about is probably 70 to 80 percent of my colleagues across the United States still show Super Size Me in their health class or their biology class.

Usually I don't agree with the "A calorie is a calorie theory", but in this case it's true.  If you drink 5000 calories of milk shakes and cokes a day and don't exercise, you're going to get fat.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: Criticism Of Super Size Me
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »
In 2008, Michael Phelps made eating 10,000 calories per day a priority in American households.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
I cannot remember if i watched the whole documentary, probably not cos spurlock was a smug asshole, but it was clearly a case of confirmation bias and excess presented as "this is what happens if you eat fast food". Anyone who uses a pedometer is a dick anyway.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:07:40 PM »
Wikipedia
Critics of the film, including McDonald's, argue that the author intentionally consumed an average of 5,000 calories per day and did not exercise, and that the results would have been the same regardless of the source of overeating.[15] One reviewer pointed out "he's telling us something everyone already knows: Fast food is bad for you."[16] Robert Davis of Paste implied the film is an example of "how the ignorance of, or willful distortion of, basic scientific methods is used to manipulate public opinion."[17]

In the comedic documentary reply Fat Head, Tom Naughton "suggests that Spurlock's calorie and fat counts don't add up" and criticizes Spurlock's refusal to publish the Super Size Me food log; About 1/3 of Spurlock's calories came from sugar. His nutritionist, Bridget Bennett RD, warned him about his excess intake of sugar from "milkshakes and cokes". It is revealed toward the end of the movie that over the course of the diet, he consumed "over 30 pounds (14 kg) of sugar, and over 12 pounds (5.4 kg). of fat from their food".[19]

After eating exclusively at McDonald's for one month, Soso Whaley said, "The first time I did the diet in April 2004, I lost 10 pounds (going from 175 to 165) and lowered my cholesterol from 237 to 197, a drop of 40 points." Of particular note was that she exercised regularly and did not insist on consuming more food than she otherwise would. Despite eating at only McDonald's every day, she maintained her caloric intake at around 2,000 per day. [20]

After John Cisna, a high school science teacher, lost 60 pounds while eating exclusively at McDonald's for 180 days, he said, "I'm not pushing McDonald's. I'm not pushing fast food. I'm pushing taking accountability and making the right choice for you individually... As a science teacher, I would never show Super Size Me because when I watched that, I never saw the educational value in that... I mean, a guy eats uncontrollable amounts of food, stops exercising, and the whole world is surprised he puts on weight? What I'm not proud about is probably 70 to 80 percent of my colleagues across the United States still show Super Size Me in their health class or their biology class.

Usually I don't agree with the "A calorie is a calorie theory", but in this case it's true.  If you drink 5000 calories of milk shakes and cokes a day and don't exercise, you're going to get fat.

A calorie is a calorie, whether you agree with it or not. HTH.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
A calorie is a calorie, whether you agree with it or not. HTH.

I care about overall health, not just losing weight.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
A calorie is a calorie. Unless you're on legit kigs then it all goes deep right into the muscle to blow up from within.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
I care about overall health, not just losing weight.

In that case, then i agree with u

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »

Usually I don't agree with the "A calorie is a calorie theory", but in this case it's true.  

It's not a theory. It's a fact. And a fact is true in all cases. I see you rig the "theory" when it seem sensible.

If you drink 5000 calories of milk shakes and cokes a day and don't exercise, you're going to get fat.

Yeah, because a calorie is a calorie and if you eat too many you will get fat.

From Webster's dictionary:

a :  a unit equivalent to the large calorie expressing heat-producing or energy-producing value in food when oxidized in the body
b :  an amount of food having an energy-producing value of one large calorie

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »
The film was a sham. Spurlock knew what the result would be. Anything else and he wouldn't have an interesting story.

Imagine the following experiment. Take some motivated Getbiggers and let them eat only at McDonalds for 3 months. Lock them in a room with a gym there.

Give the guy who makes the most muscular gains a million dollars and televise the whole thing.

No steroids allowed. What would the results be? Well, there is no such thing as junk food. There is a junk diet. Eg., eating nothing but fries. You could get the same muscular results eating at KFC.

The proviso is that the people in the experiment could choose whatever they want that is on the menu.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
It's not a theory. It's a fact. And a fact is true in all cases. I see you rig the "theory" when it seem sensible.

Yeah, because a calorie is a calorie and if you eat too many you will get fat.

From Webster's dictionary:

a :  a unit equivalent to the large calorie expressing heat-producing or energy-producing value in food when oxidized in the body
b :  an amount of food having an energy-producing value of one large calorie

The way your body processes the calories and the way they make you feel are very different.

I understand that the quantity of calories is important when dieting, but so is the quality of the food for overall health.  

With everything Getbig knows about diet and exercise, I'm surprised everyone hasn't come to the same conclusion I have.  Living a long and healthy life is more important than having 20" arms.  That means less calories, but also healthier food and more cardiovascular exercise.  

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »
The film was a sham. Spurlock knew what the result would be. Anything else and he wouldn't have an interesting story.

Imagine the following experiment. Take some motivated Getbiggers and let them eat only at McDonalds for 3 months. Lock them in a room with a gym there.

Give the guy who makes the most muscular gains a million dollars and televise the whole thing.

No steroids allowed. What would the results be? Well, there is no such thing as junk food. There is a junk diet. Eg., eating nothing but fries. You could get the same muscular results eating at KFC.

The proviso is that the people in the experiment could choose whatever they want that is on the menu.

Reminds me that I thought of doing a counter video taking same diet on DNP lol.

As for Palumbo's comment that every getbigger values long life over 20" arms.... I would doubt it.

C-BuZz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 07:16:42 PM »

What if the men in the experiment were already at there physical natural limit going in ?