Author Topic: Bodybuilding is not a sport  (Read 4136 times)

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Bodybuilding is not a sport
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:19:36 PM »
The day baseball, football, and basketball championships have predetermined outcomes is the day bodybuilding becomes a sport. Luckily that isn't the case and competition is key, unfortunately with bodybuilding and the Mr. Olympia contest, money and marketability play a major role.

It's tough to be angry about a placing when we can all acknowledge politics and favoritism play some role in the outcome.

Bodybuilding is not a sport my friends.

Bodybuilding is entertainment, bodybuilding is show business.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
Re: Bodybuilding is not a sport
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:23:35 PM »
Yes, and bbers are not athletes.
HAHA, RON.....

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »
I'd also like to add that it's tough to dedicate your life to an event where weider sponsored athletes receive favoritism.

This is just the nature of the beast with the IFBB and it always will be unless you compete in a different federation.

That's why it's tough to dedicate your life to competing at an event where you can only do so much to effect the outcome. Bodybuilding is about more than improving your biceps, it's about pushing yourself to succeed and hard work, qualities that are transferable to other professions and endeavors.

I love bodybuilding but it is not a sport.

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 06:30:02 PM »
yeah, it's a sport. we already figured it out.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:30:55 PM »
The day baseball, football, and basketball championships have predetermined outcomes is the day bodybuilding becomes a sport. Luckily that isn't the case and competition is key, unfortunately with bodybuilding and the Mr. Olympia contest, money and marketability play a major role.

It's tough to be angry about a placing when we can all acknowledge politics and favoritism play some role in the outcome.

yes bob chick and others do a fabulous job doing the color commentary during the shows
but a bodybuilding contest is comparing muscles on a stage and thus not a sport

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
I'd like to think it's a sport and it's fair game... it really is except in the Mr. Olympia contest maybe..

I'm not a fan of wrestling... and that is show business. Putting bodybuilding in that category makes me want to cringe, I just think something should be done where independent judges are used, possibly even branch off the Mr. Olympia so we know we're getting fair and accurate results.

I'm tired of seeing Shawn Ray and guys like Lee Priest kick ass and then get low placings.

DEFCON

• Getbig IV
  • LSD, 100 µg, i.m.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »
If bodybuilding is a sport then so is the Miss America pageant.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »
how the hell is bodybuilding a sport?
Explain (Earl can stay away from this thread)
follow the arrows

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »

They need roids to improve their performance..

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 06:59:48 PM »
Darn, I thought I was going against the status quo with this one, looks like everyone agrees.

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »
Darn, I thought I was going against the status quo with this one, looks like everyone agrees.

No, just the guys that don't do well in bodybuilding...  So thats about 99% agree with you..

OAK

• Getbig V
  • "I'm a business GENIUS."
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 07:35:03 PM »

Yeah, money and marketability normally have no place in "sports"   ::)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 07:49:35 PM »
Bodybuilding is not a sport.

Hope this helps, Earl.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »

truer words have never been spoken...

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 09:19:44 PM »
The day baseball, football, and basketball championships have predetermined outcomes is the day bodybuilding becomes a sport.

In case you haven't noticed the Olympia has been "predetermined" for the last 14 years. But it NEVER has been and NEVER will be a sport and bodybuilder ARE NOT athletes!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 09:22:47 PM »
I've posted my links numerous times

none of you have posted anything other than your opinions

E
E

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 09:24:35 PM »
theres a story with shoeless joe and the thirteen about the baseball game that was fixed.  football games have been fixed.  more games than anyone will ever know have been fixed.  boxing anyone.  ali's phantom punch is still in question.

robocop

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »
Bodybuilding is a circus

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »
OH NO NOT AGAIN!

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 10:28:48 PM »
For drug trades
I am a mini beast

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2006, 09:21:31 AM »
To me... the Mr. Olympia contest run by Joe Weider is like having the Super Bowl run by Dan Rooney (The owner of the Pittsburgh steelers). How can someone with such an influence be in charge of the biggest contest in the sport? That almost seems like it's a joke, shouldn't it be common sense that this isn't right?!?!?

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 09:22:32 AM »
The olympics and football games might have favored winners, there's a difference between that and examples of the 1980 Mr. Olympia where Arnold was obviously off but they gave him the Mr. O anyway.

When's the last time you say Peyton Manning throw 5 INT's at Foxboro only to have the referrees stop the game with 2 minutes left and give the Colts 20 extra points.

It just sucks... how can marketability and money ruin a competitive sport thats all about competing. Everyone should be given a fair chance...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2006, 09:35:32 AM »
When Espn starts doing daily reports on shows around the country it will then become a sport.  They don't even mention who wins major shows. 

It isn't even a real competition.  The results are more or less pre-determined.  Hell ESPN will showPoker, Darts, Horseshoes, andother very minor sports and competitions even bass fishing but they won't show BB.  That has totell you something.  And I have never noticed but at the Olympia is there odds in the Sportbooks on the contest.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 09:58:54 AM »
When Espn starts doing daily reports on shows around the country it will then become a sport.  They don't even mention who wins major shows. 

It isn't even a real competition.  The results are more or less pre-determined.  Hell ESPN will showPoker, Darts, Horseshoes, andother very minor sports and competitions even bass fishing but they won't show BB.  That has totell you something.  And I have never noticed but at the Olympia is there odds in the Sportbooks on the contest.

no, never has and never will.
it's not a recognized game of chance.
and that's becaused it's fixed and not a sport.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 11:04:21 AM »

they don't mention it because nobody other than the guys that post on bodybuilding forums care

notice how the NFL gets more coverage on ESPN than the NHL?

it's because more people care about the NFL

bodybuilding is a cult sport

E
E