Author Topic: Study shows muscle growth is only stimulated for 36 hours following training  (Read 10433 times)

Method101

• Getbig V
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8563679

MPS = muscle protein synthesis

At an average time of 36 hrs postexercise, MPS in the exercised arm had returned to within 14% of the control arm value, the difference being nonsignificant. It is concluded that following a bout of heavy resistance training, MPS increases rapidly, is more than double at 24 hrs, and thereafter declines rapidly so that at 36 hrs it has almost returned to baseline.

So to all of you training a muscle only once a week you are missing out on at least half a weeks growth. This supports the idea that it's better to stimulate rather than annihilate so you can train a muscle multiple times a week without reaching the point of overtraining.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Agreed.

ritch

• Getbig V
dosen't talk about CNS recovery which has the final say and takes longer than that time slot before it's ready for another big session.

To those of you who do few sets and fast tempo's, sure you can go more often.
?

heenok

• Getbig IV
dosen't talk about CNS recovery which has the final say and takes longer than that time slot before it's ready for another big session.

This

I think one heavy session, and one pumping one is optimal.
Thats what im trying for my arms and chest nowadays.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Hypertrophy Specific Training theory and website incorporated those facts years and years ago.

I advocate retraining a target muscle every 3rd day. Those that you want to grow rapidly.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
This

I think one heavy session, and one pumping one is optimal.
Thats what im trying for my arms and chest nowadays.

Not optimal, sorry. Please explain the science behind this protocol.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE

please explain the science behind why i shouldn't roundhouse you into next week, pal.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
I do arms and the fap at least once a day for the rest of the week, so I am good.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

you. know shit. about. central nervous system please all. u. know. is. the word cns
A

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
What about DOMS? I can't even get a decent workout if it's bad, and it sometimes takes four or five days to heal.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
What if one is on dem hormonaz?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
Interesting since ive been talking about training chest or arms everyday. Thanks for posting this

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl

So to all of you training a muscle only once a week you are missing out on at least half a weeks growth. This supports the idea that it's better to stimulate rather than annihilate so you can train a muscle multiple times a week without reaching the point of overtraining.

Someone's been watching Vegan Gains videos lol

Necrosis

• Getbig V

The main issue with the internet is that people mistake knowing from understanding. Can you evaluate this study? do you think that 6 healthy young men serving as their own controls (bilateral control) using leucine uptake is enough to generalize? Troll slight

Do you think the exercise may have had something to do with it? it was not controlled, what about "healthy" versus unhealthy?

The methods used to measure MPS
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2589135/?page=9

Necrosis

• Getbig V
You can manipulate this as well, which may get you past the 36 hour window cited.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;89(1):161-8. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2008.26401. Epub 2008 Dec 3.
Ingested protein dose response of muscle and albumin protein synthesis after resistance exercise in young men.
Moore DR1, Robinson MJ, Fry JL, Tang JE, Glover EI, Wilkinson SB, Prior T, Tarnopolsky MA, Phillips SM.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The anabolic effect of resistance exercise is enhanced by the provision of dietary protein.
OBJECTIVES:
We aimed to determine the ingested protein dose response of muscle (MPS) and albumin protein synthesis (APS) after resistance exercise. In addition, we measured the phosphorylation of candidate signaling proteins thought to regulate acute changes in MPS.
DESIGN:
Six healthy young men reported to the laboratory on 5 separate occasions to perform an intense bout of leg-based resistance exercise. After exercise, participants consumed, in a randomized order, drinks containing 0, 5, 10, 20, or 40 g whole egg protein. Protein synthesis and whole-body leucine oxidation were measured over 4 h after exercise by a primed constant infusion of [1-(13)C]leucine.
RESULTS:
MPS displayed a dose response to dietary protein ingestion and was maximally stimulated at 20 g. The phosphorylation of ribosomal protein S6 kinase (Thr(389)), ribosomal protein S6 (Ser(240/244)), and the epsilon-subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 2B (Ser(539)) were unaffected by protein ingestion. APS increased in a dose-dependent manner and also reached a plateau at 20 g ingested protein. Leucine oxidation was significantly increased after 20 and 40 g protein were ingested.
CONCLUSIONS:
Ingestion of 20 g intact protein is sufficient to maximally stimulate MPS and APS after resistance exercise. Phosphorylation of candidate signaling proteins was not enhanced with any dose of protein ingested, which suggested that the stimulation of MPS after resistance exercise may be related to amino acid availability. Finally, dietary protein consumed after exercise in excess of the rate at which it can be incorporated into tissue protein stimulates irreversible oxidation.

The last sentence is important, too much protein, causes IRREVERSIBLE oxidation (ie tissue damage,myocytes specifically).

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
The original study was done in 1995. Here is a link to a full article done this year about the subject. Conclusion: they still don't know much about hypertrophy. Also, bodybuilders don't gain much from all that training and eating protein. We can assume that since so little protein is synthesized by advanced bodybuilders that there is little need to consume extra protein. That won't change the muscle heads who ingest way too much protein.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/273149893_A_Review_of_Resistance_Training-Induced_Changes_in_Skeletal_Muscle_Protein_Synthesis_and_Their_Contribution_to_Hypertrophy

bigmc

• Getbig V
Hypertrophy Specific Training theory and website incorporated those facts years and years ago.

I advocate retraining a target muscle every 3rd day. Those that you want to grow rapidly.

no you said train your arms only every day for a month

then take a pic with the camera slightly closer to make them look bigger
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Your body recovers as a systemic system and not localized to the body part worked in split routine. Let's take a sample once a week program.

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: legs
Friday: Delt and arms

On Monday the triceps are getting hit heavy with every chest pressing movement. It's getting hit again on Friday on tricep day. On back day the biceps are getting hit with every pulling movement like chins and rows. Then the biceps are hit again on Friday. On back day you either do deadlifts or power cleans your thighs are getting hit hard. The thighs are getting hit again on leg day. I can go on.

It's over lap that dictates a body part is never hit just once in a once a week split. Isolation doesn't take place in athletics. The body works as a unit in any kineslogical review of an athletic movement.

I know I presented a case for once a week. That doesn't mean that twice or three times a week splits are a negative.  Too much to type on this knuckle head board. I will say this. The quickest gains I ever made as a natural was a whole body routine three times a week. The problem with this it's brutal to do a whole body routine and this is contrary to the often repeated but falsely that it's a beginner routine. It's the hardest workout you can do.  

ritch

• Getbig V
you. know shit. about. central nervous system please all. u. know. is. the word cns

whatever dude, troll your shit somewhere else please...
?

mazrim

• Getbig V
Prefer 2-3 times a week for each specific muscle group. Makes working out more enjoyable for me personally.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
Like old timer said above you're getting the overlap stimulation anyways.

My biceps and triceps for example get stimulated when I do  back and chest workouts respectfully, and I say stimulated because when I row or press I do them properly so they are back rows/chest presses and not biceps rows/triceps presses, kinda like pullovers with a barbell/dumbell stimulate my chest and back if I do either on any of those days.

On my my other days ie shoulders, triceps, biceps, legs bring the above and other groups into   play

FFS, I do calves by themselves on one day in the    middle of my split and when I am doing standing calf raises, toe presses and donkeys other bodyparts are being stimulated just in the process of leveraging weight in general. Don't tell me when someone is doing lets say 45 degree calf presses with 4-6 plates per side that his legs are not being stimulated

Or that if your doing squats your calves are being stimulated long with other parts

PS why does everyone feel the fucking need to have chest day on Monday come hell or high water lol?
"

heenok

• Getbig IV

There is no "science"  ::) Please this is bodybuilding...

The heavy session is about traumatizing the muscle and takes the CNS a while a to recover, the pumping one gets the muscle some stimulation while not taxing the CNS and the fibers too much, actually the blood flow from the pump will speeds up the recovery.

Training a weak muscle part twice a week is the simplest method to make a lagging bodypart grow. But usually its hard to recover from several balls to the wall heavy sessions for a muscle group in one week, hence the heavy/"light" alternance.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
The original study was done in 1995. Here is a link to a full article done this year about the subject. Conclusion: they still don't know much about hypertrophy. Also, bodybuilders don't gain much from all that training and eating protein. We can assume that since so little protein is synthesized by advanced bodybuilders that there is little need to consume extra protein. That won't change the muscle heads who ingest way too much protein.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/273149893_A_Review_of_Resistance_Training-Induced_Changes_in_Skeletal_Muscle_Protein_Synthesis_and_Their_Contribution_to_Hypertrophy

X

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Train
Eat
Rest
Repeat

K.I.S.S

ForgottenMuscle

• Getbig I
Hi All,

Loading the muscle each 24 hours would even be closer to optimal then working out every 36 hours.

Full Body workouts preferred above split workouts.

Workoutsessions should provide an increase in the load each and every every session.

One set per bodypart must be carried out long enough ( TUT) to create sufficient stimulus. More workingsets are not essential. The number of reps is not relevant.

Working up to extremely heavy loads is not necessary.

The first session must therefor start with "babyweights". The actual ( absolute ) weight of load involved is not relevant.
Key is to keep on increasing ( relative progression ) the response.

Stop when having reached concentric failure at the movement involved.

Speed of the movement is not relevant.

Changing exercises is not relevant. using the same exercises and in the same order each and every session is to be preferred.

complex exercises and "single joint" exercises  both can be used. A mix is optimal.

Eating slightly above maintenance is important.  A slight calorie surplus is sufficient to grow. Simple sugars and  easy digestible protein should only be consumed right before and after the workout.
The macros of rest of the meals should consist of medium ( 40 %) complex carbs, medium protein ( 40  % ), and 20 % fat ( fish oil at every meal ).
Eating every 3 hours.

Don't worry about CNS , a hour hour and haf to full body workout every day is not affecting CNS or muscle growth in negative way.

Working out while still being ( very ) sore is not negatively affecting muscle growth .

Ok,

Bye
André