Author Topic: SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO---Hilary  (Read 2213 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO---Hilary
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
I read facebook comments, meme's, and the average citizen comment on news stories and sad to say... I'm really starting to think that..

That people with sincerely held religious beliefs are mentally ill? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »
That people with sincerely held religious beliefs are mentally ill?  

I don't consider them mentally ill... I consider them brainwashed. I think there is a difference. And I think with social media and the comment section at the bottom of news stories that a lot more people than I originally thought are below average on their critical thinking skills. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 10:55:32 AM »
I don't consider them mentally ill... I consider them brainwashed. I think there is a difference

Everyone who has a sincerely held religious belief is brainwashed? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 11:00:12 AM »
Everyone who has a sincerely held religious belief is brainwashed? 

To a certain extent, most are. I can't really say everyone because that is rarely true. However based on my observations with the believers around me and of those I read about.. most if not all were brought up from childhood being indoctrinated into the belief. At one time, they believed in Jesus and Santa.. eventually the Santa belief gave way, mostly because adults finally stopped portraying it as true and came clean at a certain age when the child started questioning. With religion, they are admonished for questioning and the belief reinforced. So in my opinion, most of it stems from upbringing and cultural influence until it is ingrained in their minds. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
To a certain extent, most are. I can't really say everyone because that is rarely true. However based on my observations with the believers around me and of those I read about.. most if not all were brought up from childhood being indoctrinated into the belief. At one time, they believed in Jesus and Santa.. eventually the Santa belief gave way, mostly because adults finally stopped portraying it as true and came clean at a certain age when the child started questioning. With religion, they are admonished for questioning and the belief reinforced. So in my opinion, most of it stems from upbringing and cultural influence until it is ingrained in their minds. 

Sounds like your experience is pretty limited.  I grew up from childhood being indoctrinated into Christianity, which is no different than being indoctrinated into every core set of beliefs that are a part of parenting.  Every parent does it.  Did that prevent me from eventually making my own decision?  Not at all.  I actually spent a large portion of my young adulthood reading about different religions.  I was ultimately satisfied that my parents got it right. 

I agree that some people are admonished for questioning beliefs.  I disagree that this constitutes all or a majority of Christians.  There is a lot of discussion and debate about various aspects of Christianity.  I'm sure that is true of many other religions, except Islam, where disagreement can cost you your life, or a body part, or both. 

I've met countless educated, intellectual religious people from different faiths.  I don't consider any of them brainwashed. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
I read facebook comments, meme's, and the average citizen comment on news stories and sad to say... I'm really starting to think that..

when i see political stories' comments... I realize these folks are often much dumber than getbiggers.   Their points are so stupid, they're all emotion.  Political board actually makes us all a bit brighter.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 11:17:51 AM »
Sounds like your experience is pretty limited.  I grew up from childhood being indoctrinated into Christianity, which is no different than being indoctrinated into every core set of beliefs that are a part of parenting.  Every parent does it.  Did that prevent me from eventually making my own decision?  Not at all.  I actually spent a large portion of my young adulthood reading about different religions.  I was ultimately satisfied that my parents got it right. 

I agree that some people are admonished for questioning beliefs.  I disagree that this constitutes all or a majority of Christians.  There is a lot of discussion and debate about various aspects of Christianity.  I'm sure that is true of many other religions, except Islam, where disagreement can cost you your life, or a body part, or both. 

I've met countless educated, intellectual religious people from different faiths.  I don't consider any of them brainwashed. 

You and I must agree to disagree. Growing up in the bible belt, to say you didn't believe..well..it was unheard of. Atheists were devil worshippers no exception. And yes, you can cite a few examples of people who were subjected to a religion as a youth and broke free eventually, I believe that is the exception rather than the rule. I haven't personally met anyone who grew up in a nonbeliever environment and reached adulthood as a non believer, only to be convinced by the biblical evidence that it is true and become believers.. though I couldn't say they don't exist. My guess is they are a lot rarer than the other way around. a lot rarer..   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »
when i see political stories' comments... I realize these folks are often much dumber than getbiggers.   Their points are so stupid, they're all emotion.  Political board actually makes us all a bit brighter.

On getbig, you generally have to support your statements, or you get called out. so in a way, except for people like Coach, who don't really care about the evidence, it limits the off the cuff statements. (Only speaking about the Gebiggers that make an effort to have a discussion, not the riffraff).  On social media and news sites, it is often the hit and run people who make an ignorant statement and run off much of the time or in the second response lose control and start getting personally offensive because they have no rebuttal   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
You and I must agree to disagree. Growing up in the bible belt, to say you didn't believe..well..it was unheard of. Atheists were devil worshippers no exception. And yes, you can cite a few examples of people who were subjected to a religion as a youth and broke free eventually, I believe that is the exception rather than the rule. I haven't personally met anyone who grew up in a nonbeliever environment and reached adulthood as a non believer, only to be convinced by the biblical evidence that it is true and become believers.. though I couldn't say they don't exist. My guess is they are a lot rarer than the other way around. a lot rarer..   

What do you mean by break free?  Does "free" mean becoming an atheist?  

I think most adults are smart enough to know what they believe and why they believe it.  The fact their adult beliefs are consistent with their upbringing doesn't make them brainwashed.  

An example of brainwashed is an Obamabot.  Have you ever talked to one?  Or read comments from them on this board?  Facts don't matter.  Logic doesn't matter.  The truth doesn't matter.  That's how brainwashing works.  

Someone who has a sincerely held belief doesn't necessarily fall into that category.  

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
What do you mean by break free?  Does "free" mean becoming an atheist?  

I think most adults are smart enough to know what they believe and why they believe it.  The fact their adult beliefs are consistent with their upbringing doesn't make them brainwashed.  

An example of brainwashed is an Obamabot.  Have you ever talked to one?  Or read comments from them on this board?  Facts don't matter.  Logic doesn't matter.  The truth doesn't matter.  That's how brainwashing works.  

Someone who has a sincerely held belief doesn't necessarily fall into that category.  

And I think most religious adults don't put a lot of effort into what they believe. (speaking mainly of Christians). They know little about the bible except what they were told. And yes, I would say their upbringing, teaching, sunday school, culture, all was part of a brainwashing environment. You don't ask questions, if something contradicts what you've  been told, disregard it or treat it as demonic.

Most Obama supporters I've talked to seemed to be level headed. Not so much with Trump 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »
And I think most religious adults don't put a lot of effort into what they believe. (speaking mainly of Christians). They know little about the bible except what they were told. And yes, I would say their upbringing, teaching, sunday school, culture, all was part of a brainwashing environment. You don't ask questions, if something contradicts what you've  been told, disregard it or treat it as demonic.

Most Obama supporters I've talked to seemed to be level headed. Not so much with Trump 

How are you distinguishing religion from every other part of a child's upbringing?  For example, when a child is taught a certain set of values, that child does what he or she is told, or faces the consequences.  What's the difference? 

lol at levelheaded Obama supporters.   :)  Come on man.  Obamabots are delusional.  Not necessarily stupid, but definitely brainwashed.  An enormous amount of cognitive dissonance. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
Actually I'd go one step further and say no one on earth has a complete understanding of everything.  Lots of things we either don't know or cannot prove (or both).  That includes how life began on earth.  

But do I think someone is crazy because they think differently than me?  No.  

Knowledge is impossible. We exist based on assumptions and suppositions.

Some closer to the truth than others.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 11:59:02 AM »

thank you.. that's the nicest thing someone has said to me all day... I like to think I'm close, but hearing it makes it all worthwhile

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »

Our beliefs are definitely based on assumptions and suppositions. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
Our beliefs are definitely based on assumptions and suppositions. 

And that general agreement allows me to function with most of the world's population. Only hard core extremists completely escape my ability to be understanding.

Personally I'd sum it up as "I hate most people for their imperfections but accept them because I am also imperfect."

Existence is a fallacy.

absfabs

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
She's right...

Don't condemn the whole for the follies of a few.

Every Religion is a violent cult. 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
Thus illustrates the great military/civilian divide. I joined the Marines at 17 and while I didn't buy all the bullshit I did learn that its ok to kill shitbags and hate them...its ok to hate your enemy. I hate the rags for all the death and misery they bring to the West, our people, this country and hell...even t their own. I lump them all in because I really don't care about any of them. The guys that fought against the japs in WW2 hated them. My relatives that fought in Europe had a much different opinion of the germans as opposed to the japs. Look at the best biographies about the war. Sledges "With the Old Breed"...as opposed to Band of Brothers as an example. Sledge hated the japs....different vibe in Band of Brothers. This was my war..its not really over and they really really really still want to kill all of you. You tell me....

No PTSD..retire in 9 months after 24 years. 

Who are the "rags" and "them"?