Author Topic: Ever buy a portion of a cow?  (Read 3167 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Ever buy a portion of a cow?
« on: November 28, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »
a side of beef, 1/4, 1/8?  Obviously every animal weighs out differently so no idea how many pounds it would weigh in at, but what would be the ultimate (edible) per pound $?  Every farmer seems to price it out differently - ie; hanging weight, processing , packaging, bones included or not, tongues and other weird things included or not...

Getting a 1/4 organic, grass fed today, splitting it with a friend cuz my freezer is already 1/2 full and I'm also hoping for some venison soon.
:

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Ever buy a portion of a cow?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:37:45 AM »
a side of beef, 1/4, 1/8?  Obviously every animal weighs out differently so no idea how many pounds it would weigh in at, but what would be the ultimate (edible) per pound $?  Every farmer seems to price it out differently - ie; hanging weight, processing , packaging, bones included or not, tongues and other weird things included or not...

Getting a 1/4 organic, grass fed today, splitting it with a friend cuz my freezer is already 1/2 full and I'm also hoping for some venison soon.

I've looked into this a bunch of times, but never pulled the trigger.  Where are you ordering the 1/4 from?
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »
I buy 1/2 a pig about every two years. I am always angered anew that I cannot redeem my 1/2 entirely in bacon.

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »
Are you hanging out with Marty C.? Your posts as of late are eerily similar, if so run away. If you are held hostage let us know...

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »

Yes I have, a few years back. Saved a fortune and the beef ( black
Angus) was amazing. Just need a big freezer :)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
No dude, I shop at Whole Foods.  I let them worry about the cows. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
I've looked into this a bunch of times, but never pulled the trigger.  Where are you ordering the 1/4 from?

Basically "local".  The farmer is a relative of someone I know.  Certified organic, grass fed, fully vacuum sealed. Ultimately came out to be $4.70/lb which seems like a good price, even if it were all ground, but there's T-bones, ribeyes, strips, etc., and various roasts.  No weird organs.  A few very meaty soup bones.
:

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
I thought this was a thread where Princess L was going to sell her ass to the high bidder....

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »
I thought this was a thread where Princess L was going to sell her ass to the high bidder....

lemme ask you this
how to you feel knowing you have gone to my in the past level of insulting women
essentially, you post EXACTLY like I used to

you must be proud to be in my company

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »
lemme ask you this
how to you feel knowing you have gone to my in the past level of insulting women

I feel angry that the English language has been raped.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »
I feel angry that the English language has been raped.

Economics degree here
massive English fail  :D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 05:05:54 PM »

Steer hopefully

Cow tastes like shit.

And yes.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
Economics degree here
massive English fail  :D

Taking piss - same as I do when my gf puts nouns before adjectives (which makes more sense logically).

On topic, what part of cow do you have? The rump end is more tender and the more used muscles (shoulder/shin etc) need to be slow cooked. All beef parts taste nice when cooked right - you just have to know the part and have quality meat.

I lol at grass fed beef. All beef here is grass fed. The intensive farming bullshit you eat in USA us disgusting, antibiotic filled crap for the most part.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
I bought a cow with no legs once...........I called it ground beef. 

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 05:16:09 PM »

I see you were also at that Bob Hope gig in 'nam. 😊

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »

You need to calm down.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 06:16:27 PM »

BUT TEH PROTONS FROM HEMI BEEF HAS TEH HEMI IRONS AND GIVES TEH CANCER AND TEH NEUROAIDS AND TEH LACK OF GYPSY SKILLZ.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »

I have before as its common in NC.  You have to calculate in the slaughter and processing fees.  You usually won't save any money unless you buy the living cow itself and do your own work
A

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 06:27:16 PM »
lemme ask you this

Posting about posting.....

Shizzo should be flattered.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »

I have before as its common in NC.  You have to calculate in the slaughter and processing fees.  You usually won't save any money unless you buy the living cow itself and do your own work

If you know the farmer (as OP seems to) you will get it for fuck all as they avoid middleman. Any friends I have who hunt give me venison or whatever they get (venison...) free. Anyone I know with chickens give me free/nearly free eggs. If it was a commercial farmer I'd at least ask for $3/kg ($6/lb) given you have to butcher, clean and prep meat not to mind a fair bit of weight is bone, fat etc.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
Posting about posting.....

Shizzo should be flattered.

its cool
you insult women--welcome  to my level---you fit right in with me

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »
my dad has done this

he is very picky about red meat. the only problem with this is sometimes you get bad meat.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »
my dad has done this

he is very picky about red meat. the only problem with this is sometimes you get bad meat.

Do you not see it firsthand? I should really take a photo of my butcher's sometime. Fresh carcasses hanging, meat being cut off bone etc. You can tell and smell meat buy looking and smelling it.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
I don't buy cow, but often buy bison quarters.    Other than ribs and t bones, i've nvr purchased butchered meat with the bone-in.  I  get the t-bones removed and have the tenders packaged separately.    I also get some ground down into burger, and a bit of sausage made up.  I have an awesome butcher, so the price is always very fair and great quality meats.  The fcukers should be charging a set price for the cut plus thei labour costs.  I'm not sure what types of hidden costs your butcher will thrown.  That seems pretty greedy if he/she does.