Author Topic: New York is the first city in the US to add sodium warnings to menus  (Read 6996 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: New York is the first city in the US to add sodium warnings to menus
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
Not even close.  But keep trying.  Maybe smoke some more pot. 

squirm squirm squirm  :D  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Wipers!"   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »
You brought up the red herring of what I would have done in 1950.  lol

incorrect.  red herring in a red herring.   another sad try.

What the heck are you talking about??  

read up.

You don't know anything about the app.  That much is clear.  I'm not sure what the heck you pulled off the internet.  I explained (a) how information gets into the app and (b) why I think the app is accurate.

I got everything i needed to know in the context of our discussion.  

You can't speak intelligently about it, because you've never used it and don't know anything about it.  But I know that won't stop you from offering uninformed opinions.  You're pretty good at that.  

more red herring bull shit from you.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
"Wipers!"   :)

I'm devastated.   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
incorrect.  red herring in a red herring.   another sad try.

read up.

I got everything i needed to know in the context of our discussion. 

more red herring bull shit from you. 

Are you even capable of having a discussion with someone you don't agree with out resorting to bull shit?

Guess not.

Are you able to have a rational discussion without all the invective?  I'm sensing a little hostility here.   :)

I provided an alternative, based on my own experience, for how people can get nutritional information for restaurant food, short of government mandates.  I do it every time I eat out.  In fact, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't even use a restaurant's guide in lieu of my app.  Unless the menu had a bar code.   :)

In response, you questioned the reliability of the app, name-called, created a stupid hypothetical, all caps, bold, etc.  A real meltdown.  And all this after knowing nothing about the app. 

Yes, you must be bored. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
It's a stupid friggin hypothetical.  How about this:  in 1920, Ozmo would have made his woman wipe his butt because he's too lazy to do it himself.  Equally as asinine as Ozmo's asinine hypothetical.  

In the quote you posted *FROM YOURSELF* from 8 years ago, you compare smoking regulation to food and alcohol regulation, so clearly you understand that they are comparable. How is having your wife wipe your butt comparable to food regulation?  ::)

Your quote is right here:

Me:Your point? With the exception of being more addictive than heroine or cocaine, everything in that post applies to fast food. And if the fast food industry could make it as addictive as heroine, they would.

Nowhere in this post do I say salt is a carcinogen.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
In the quote you posted *FROM YOURSELF* from 8 years ago, you compare smoking regulation to food and alcohol regulation, so clearly you understand that they are comparable. How is having your wife wipe your butt comparable to food regulation?  ::)

Me:Your point? With the exception of being more addictive than heroine or cocaine, everything in that post applies to fast food. And if the fast food industry could make it as addictive as heroine, they would.

Nowhere in this post do I say salt is a carcinogen.

I'm not talking about that stupid hypothetical anymore. 

If "everything in that post applies to fast food," and "that post" included me saying  tobacco companies "been peddling carcinogens for years," then yes you were saying fast companies have been peddling carcinogens for years. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »
I'm not talking about that stupid hypothetical anymore.  
For your sake, good. Your posts were getting weirder and weirder (which is saying something.)

If "everything in that post applies to fast food," and "that post" included me saying  tobacco companies "been peddling carcinogens for years," then yes you were saying fast companies have been peddling carcinogens for years.  
Yes, fast food companies peddle carcinogens. You claimed that I said salt is a carcinogen.  I never said that SALT is a carcinogen. SALT is one of the unhealthy ingredients loaded into  fast food. Fast food  is loaded with lots of unhealthy ingredients at dangerous quantities. It isn't a difficult distinction, so why were you having so much trouble with it?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
For your sake, good. The posts were getting dumber and dumber.
Yes, fast food companies peddle carcinogens. You claimed that I said salt is a carcinogen.  I never said that SALT is a carcinogen. SALT is one of the unhealthy ingredients loaded into  fast food. Fast food  is loaded with lots of unhealthy ingredients at dangerous quantities. It isn't a difficult distinction, so why were you having so much trouble with it?

Ok.  That clarifies your comments.  What carcinogens do fast food companies peddle? 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
Ok.  That clarifies your comments.  What carcinogens do fast food companies peddle? 

The comments were clear from the beginning.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
Are you able to have a rational discussion without all the invective?  I'm sensing a little hostility here.   :)

I provided an alternative, based on my own experience, for how people can get nutritional information for restaurant food, short of government mandates.  I do it every time I eat out.  In fact, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't even use a restaurant's guide in lieu of my app.  Unless the menu had a bar code.   :)

In response, you questioned the reliability of the app, name-called, created a stupid hypothetical, all caps, bold, etc.  A real meltdown.  And all this after knowing nothing about the app. 

Yes, you must be bored. 

1.  Your alternative is subpar and inefficient, you admitted that enough your self.

2.  Your counter regarding new menus is well exposed as lacking knowledge of printing costs and the restaurant biz.

3.  Therefore, minimal costs and customers benefit.

Your resolve regarding your dislike of government requiring business to do things in the face of #1 and #2 resulted in my observation which included the warning labels on cigs hypothetical.

Then you attempted to bog the discussion down in red herring/dodge/deflection bull shit at every level.

I type in all caps for effect, just as i do with underlines, bold, text size and italics.  It's been my pattern since i have been here.

You also know i delight in calling BS with i see it.... and you have once again delighted me greatly.  Thanks   :)

PS:  I have had the app on my phone for quite some time.  I used it for a little bit a couple of years ago and forgot that i had it until you brought it up.  2500+ milligrams of sodium in a serving or a dish is obscene.  I have no problem with the federal government requiring restaurants chains to put this on their menus.  There are many other things the government needs to get the hell out of I am sure. but this isn't one of them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
1.  Your alternative is subpar and inefficient, you admitted that enough your self.

2.  Your counter regarding new menus is well exposed as lacking knowledge of printing costs and the restaurant biz.

3.  Therefore, minimal costs and customers benefit.

Your resolve regarding your dislike of government requiring business to do things in the face of #1 and #2 resulted in my observation which included the warning labels on cigs hypothetical.

Then you attempted to bog the discussion down in red herring/dodge/deflection bull shit at every level.

I type in all caps for effect, just as i do with underlines, bold, text size and italics.  It's been my pattern since i have been here.

You also know i delight in calling BS with i see it.... and you have once again delighted me greatly.  Thanks   :)

PS:  I have had the app on my phone for quite some time.  I used it for a little bit a couple of years ago and forgot that i had it until you brought it up.  2500+ milligrams of sodium in a serving or a dish is obscene.  I have no problem with the federal government requiring restaurants chains to put this on their menus.  There are many other things the government needs to get the hell out of I am sure. but this isn't one of them.

1.  No, I did not admit my alternative is subpar and inefficient.  I said the exact opposite.  Stop making stuff up.

2.  My counter regarding new menus is valid, but only applies to small business, which apparently will not be affected by this.  Yet. 

3.  There are rarely "minimal costs" when it comes to government regulation.  A company with multiple locations will not necessarily incur "minimal costs." 

4.  Some people are too lazy to do their own homework.  It's sad you are one of those folks. 

If you have the app and have used it, then you know how easy it is to use, which frankly makes your spazzing out pretty dishonest. 

2500 mgs of sodium in one dish is high, but not unusual.  I had 1400 mgs in my lunch alone.  Anyone who wants to know the nutritional content of their food can find it.  Unless you are too friggin lazy to do it yourself.     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »

The comments were clear from the beginning.

No they were not.  What carcinogens are fast food companies peddling?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
1.  No, I did not admit my alternative is subpar and inefficient.  I said the exact opposite.  Stop making stuff up.

2.  My counter regarding new menus is valid, but only applies to small business, which apparently will not be affected by this.  Yet. 

3.  There are rarely "minimal costs" when it comes to government regulation.  A company with multiple locations will not necessarily incur "minimal costs." 

4.  Some people are too lazy to do their own homework.  It's sad you are one of those folks. 

If you have the app and have used it, then you know how easy it is to use, which frankly makes your spazzing out pretty dishonest. 

2500 mgs of sodium in one dish is high, but not unusual.  I had 1400 mgs in my lunch alone.  Anyone who wants to know the nutritional content of their food can find it.  Unless you are too friggin lazy to do it yourself.     

1.  You said you knew may not be always accurate.  I also showed why it may be even less accurate.  If its an app that's based on "what's in your food" its needs to be accurate or its SUBPAR.

2-3.  Your counter is NOT valid at all.  Restaurants often change their menus 1-4 times per year.  Some are for seasonal reasons, some are because of new dishes added, some are for dishes taken off menus, some are for wear and tear, lost or stolen, or prince changes.  They are going to reprint menus anyway.  THAT'S THE POINT.

4.  I don't eat at chains very often.  And when i do, i write it off as a bad for meal that sometimes tastes good.  I cook most of the food in my house and get it from many different locations.  Veggies:  Farmer's Market/produce market (usually choose organic vendors)  Meats:  Organic butcher about an hour from where i live or at the farmer's market or Trader joes or in a pinch Nugget Market because as they operate it like a butcher and will custom cut meats for me.  Call me lazy if you want.   ::)

5.  I know how easy it is to use.  But its not accurate and not everyone in the world has a smart phone.  

6.  The same could be said about food labels but i would rather have the government mandate it like they do now for a number of reasons including instead of using a 3rd party app and wonder if its accurate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »

1.  You said you knew may not be always accurate.  I also showed why it may be even less accurate.  If its an app that's based on "what's in your food" its needs to be accurate or its SUBPAR.

2-3.  Your counter is NOT valid at all.  Restaurants often change their menus 1-4 times per year.  Some are for seasonal reasons, some are because of new dishes added, some are for dishes taken off menus, some are for wear and tear, lost or stolen, or prince changes.  They are going to reprint menus anyway.  THAT'S THE POINT.

4.  I don't eat at chains very often.  And when i do, i write it off as a bad for meal that sometimes tastes good.  I cook most of the food in my house and get it from many different locations.  Veggies:  Farmer's Market/produce market (usually choose organic vendors)  Meats:  Organic butcher about an hour from where i live or at the farmer's market or Trader joes or in a pinch Nugget Market because as they operate it like a butcher and will custom cut meats for me.  Call me lazy if you want.   ::)

5.  I know how easy it is to use.  But its not accurate and not everyone in the world has a smart phone.  

6.  The same could be said about food labels but i would rather have the government mandate it like they do now for a number of reasons including instead of using a 3rd party app and wonder if its accurate.

1.  I said I've been using it for years and see the results of its accuracy for years.  The only thing I acknowledged is there is no way to know if it's 100 percent accurate.  Just like you cannot say a restaurant's own numbers are 100 percent accurate.  And the app isn't "subpar" if it isn't 100 percent accurate.  But to say I admit the app I use is not accurate is flat out dishonest. 

2-3.  I've eaten at enough restaurants, and worked with enough of them, to know they do not always change their menus 1-4 times a year.  That's a gross overstatement.  Applies to some, but definitely not all.  And we know at least some will have to incur the expense of complying with government regulation.  That's the point.  And notice how I made it without acting like a drama queen. 

4.  If you think the government should force restaurants to provide you nutritional information because you don't want to do look it up yourself, then I am absolutely calling you lazy. 

5.  On what basis do you say the app is not accurate? 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »
No they were not.

Yes, they were. Especially considering I had  clarified the comments in an earlier post and you weren't able to produce a quote where I said what you claimed I said.

What carcinogens are fast food companies peddling?

Really? A guy who spent the last 5 pages arguing that government regulated warnings are for lazy customers and it's just as easy to use a smart phone app can't plug "fast food" and "carcinogens" into google?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »

Yes, they were. Especially considering I had  clarified the comments in an earlier post and you weren't able to produce a quote where I said what you claimed I said.

Really? A guy who spent the last 5 pages arguing that government regulated warnings are for lazy customers and it's just as easy to use a smart phone app can't plug "fast food" and "carcinogens" into google?

No, they were not.  Particularly when I showed you how you linked your comments to carcinogens. 

So you just pulled that comment out of your rear end and don't know what carcinogens you were talking about?  Not surprised. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
Oh brother.   ::)  It is accurate enough for me, as I've already explained.  Perfect example of someone who isn't used to thinking for himself.  Whatever critical thinking skills you have deteriorate when you let other people think for you. 

So you spend time recording misinformation and feel it is accurate enough for you, but having accurate information at a simple glance of a menu by consumers at a specific restaurant is something completely different.     ::)

Dude, you got your ass handed to you all over this thread.  Might as well quieten down and let the thread fall off the first page.    Even your typical word games and deflection/distraction attempts are pathetic on this.

Anyone making a conscious effort to record misinformation and actually be satisfied with it shouldn't be talking about critical thinking skills.  As they obviously have none. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
So you spend time recording misinformation and feel it is accurate enough for you, but having accurate information at a simple glance of a menu by consumers at a specific restaurant is something completely different.     ::)

Dude, you got your ass handed to you all over this thread.  Might as well quieten down and let the thread fall off the first page.    Even your typical word games and deflection/distraction attempts are pathetic on this.

Anyone making a conscious effort to record misinformation and actually be satisfied with it shouldn't be talking about critical thinking skills.  As they obviously have none. 

Pipe down.  Critical thinking is not your cup of soup, so to speak. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »
1.  I said I've been using it for years and see the results of its accuracy for years.  The only thing I acknowledged is there is no way to know if it's 100 percent accurate.  Just like you cannot say a restaurant's own numbers are 100 percent accurate.  And the app isn't "subpar" if it isn't 100 percent accurate.  But to say I admit the app I use is not accurate is flat out dishonest.  

Really.   You have seen the results of its accuracy for years?  How so?  Did you chemically analyze your loco moco from Zippys?  

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
Pipe down.  Critical thinking is not your cup of soup, so to speak. 

Thinking in general obviously isn't yours.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
Really.   You have seen the results of its accuracy for years?  How so?  Did you chemically analyze your food?  

You are asking someone that claims the 2008 and 2012 POTUS election was so close it was basically a toss up.  Accuracy isn't something he is familiar with. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
Really.   You have seen the results of its accuracy for years?  How so?  Did you chemically analyze your loco moco from Zippys?  

I record every calorie, gram, milligram, protein, carbs, sodium, etc. of everything I eat, every day.  I use My Fitness Pal every day.  I know if I'm hitting or missing based on what the scale, bodyfat, clothes, and mirror tell me. I also have a salt tooth, so my diet is pretty high in sodium.  Not a good thing.  So, do I know for a fact the app I use is 100 percent accurate?  No.  Do I have a pretty good idea?  Yes.  Do I know more about it than someone who has never used it?  Absolutely.  

On what basis do you say the app is not accurate?  

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »
On what basis do you say the app is not accurate?  

You said so yourself.

So, do I know for a fact the app I use is 100 percent accurate?  No.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2015, 05:38:38 PM »
No, they were not.  Particularly when I showed you how you linked your comments to carcinogens. 

How I linked my comments to carcinogens? You said I claimed that salt was a carcinogen and the posts you quoted showed that wasn't true.

So you just pulled that comment out of your rear end and don't know what carcinogens you were talking about?  Not surprised. 

Quoting you from page 1:

do your own homework. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
You said so yourself.

Didn't I just tell you that critical thinking is not your thing?  

There is no guarantee that any method is 100 percent accurate.  It takes a real cognitive deficit to conclude the preceding statement means any method is not accurate at all.