Author Topic: New York is the first city in the US to add sodium warnings to menus  (Read 6926 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: New York is the first city in the US to add sodium warnings to menus
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »
That pizza looks dam good.   

Just saying

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 03:49:58 PM »
No, it's not. Only chain restaurants with 15 or more locations have to post the warning.

And the warning only applies to foods with more than 2300 milligrams of sodium per serving.

Ah

The serving game is an easy one to play. Like Trans fats. Have to post unless it's less than a gram shop they go from a tbsp to 2 tsp as a serving. 0.49 grams Trans fat is 0 on the labels.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 03:59:03 PM »
No, it's not. Only chain restaurants with 15 or more locations have to post the warning.

And the warning only applies to foods with more than 2300 milligrams of sodium per serving.

both are COMPLETELY acceptable.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »
oz,

you've missed most of an absurd year here.  the insults have stopped since you started posting, thanks for that.

thanks, at least we are all debating more i think lol

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
thanks, at least we are all debating more i think lol

I disagree.  8)

OzmO

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »
They do when necessary which is common...Not when they "can" afford it.  If they are  having problems affording $100-$400/per loication for new menus because they want to add new dishes or new veggies are in season they are  fucked anyway and going out of business.  Doesn't look like you know much about the restaurant business.  But you seem to think you know enough to make an absurd argument about menu costs lol.

Yet you admit you don't know if it is accurate or if there is any oversight.  How smart is that?   I'd trust a  food label over the "internet" wouldn't you?  Or are you one of those people who believe everything on the internet is true?  I don't doubt that myfitness app is accurate in most cases, but what's to prevent mistakes or collusion?      ............nothing

No, what i want them to do is list what's in their food.  Specifically how much calories, sodium, sugar and fat if it exceeds normal levels for the dish or over certain amounts.

Do you have any arguments against it that don't involve a reduction to the ridiculous or a curmudgeon ideal?

I know enough about small businesses, including restaurants, to know that government regulation hurts.  I wouldn't dismiss the increased costs of doing business as cavalierly as you have. 

I record every calorie, gram, milligram, protein, carbs, sodium, etc. of everything I eat, every day.  I use My Fitness Pal every day.  I know if I'm hitting or missing based on what the scale, bodyfat, clothes, and mirror tell me.  I also have a salt tooth, so my diet is pretty high in sodium.  Not a good thing.  So, do I know for a fact the app I use is 100 percent accurate?  No.  Do I have a pretty good idea?  Yes.  Do I know more about it than someone who has never used it?  Absolutely. 

In addition, to the costs imposed on small businesses, I don't like the idea of excessive or unnecessary government regulation.  It's hard enough for small businesses to compete without having to worry about big brother.

Also, what you've described is really a sense of entitlement and just pure laziness.  You don't have a right to have a business spoon feed you information.  We should let the marketplace take care of itself.  A number of restaurants are already moving in this direction voluntarily.  And if you don't like the fact a certain restaurant doesn't give you enough information, go eat someplace else or make your own food.  That's how the free market is supposed to work.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »

That's a valid point. Makes sense for McDonald's but tough for every mom and pop shop to work out.

I'd also worry about liability. Can you get sued if you're off by a few hundred mg and a client has a heart attack? In New York I'm thinking yes.

Good point.  You know lawsuits are coming.  Probably first by the businesses who will be affected, then later by some consumer if the law survives. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
In addition, to the costs imposed on small businesses, I don't like the idea of excessive or unnecessary government regulation.  It's hard enough for small businesses to compete without having to worry about big brother.

Also, what you've described is really a sense of entitlement and just pure laziness.  You don't have a right to have a business spoon feed you information.  We should let the marketplace take care of itself.  A number of restaurants are already moving in this direction voluntarily.  And if you don't like the fact a certain restaurant doesn't give you enough information, go eat someplace else or make your own food.  That's how the free market is supposed to work.

We know for a fact that 75% of the salt consumed by Americans is via processed food. We know for a fact that these corporate restaurants'  foods are less "recipe" and more "formula" calculated to reach the salt/sugar/fat blisspoint. We know for a fact these companies use insidious advertising to hook children as young as 2. We know for a fact that these restaurants don't just put profits ahead of customers' health, but that their profits are almost directly tied to their customers' declining health. These regulations are the result of how big business has abused the free market, which has contributed to a real-world health crisis.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
I know enough about small businesses, including restaurants, to know that government regulation hurts.  I wouldn't dismiss the increased costs of doing business as cavalierly as you have.  

I don't think you know anything about the restaurant biz.  We are talking about menus they would reprint inside a year anyway (wear and tear, lost, damaged, or new items) at a very small cost. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
I am willing to bet BB would be making the same dumb arguments supporting the Tobacco industry in the 50's when the government wanted to put a Surgeon Generals warning on the cigarette packs.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »
I am willing to bet BB would be making the same dumb arguments supporting the Tobacco industry in the 50's when the government wanted to put a Surgeon Generals warning on the cigarette packs.

people could have just picked up their rotary phone (great pulse signaling technology) and asked the operator about the Marlboro ingredients. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 12:56:52 AM »
people could have just picked up their rotary phone (great pulse signaling technology) and asked the operator about the Marlboro ingredients. 

"You're sure that the disgusting taste that makes me cough my guts out is good for me? "

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 05:53:05 AM »
I'm aware of what vendors do, although I think it's an overstatement to say this how all or even a majority of small restaurants obtain menus. 

I agree consumer awareness is a great thing.  I disagree that government, in this instance, should be forcing businesses to do this.  It's not like we're talking about hidden ingredients, carcinogens, etc.  And this is a purely voluntary activity of eating out.  I really don't see a burden on consumers who should take responsibility for the things they choose to eat at restaurants.   

Actually it is not.   If a restaurant (or bar) is not receiving menus, and other related items, from a vendor then they are either not doing enough business for vendors to give them a second thought or they are procuring their inventory from some other source which is highly questionable.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 08:11:33 AM »

We know for a fact that 75% of the salt consumed by Americans is via processed food. We know for a fact that these corporate restaurants'  foods are less "recipe" and more "formula" calculated to reach the salt/sugar/fat blisspoint. We know for a fact these companies use insidious advertising to hook children as young as 2. We know for a fact that these restaurants don't just put profits ahead of customers' health, but that their profits are almost directly tied to their customers' declining health. These regulations are the result of how big business has abused the free market, which has contributed to a real-world health crisis.

We know for a fact that eating at a restaurant is purely voluntary and that every able bodied person can choose not to eat at a restaurant and prepare their own food. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 08:12:21 AM »
I don't think you know anything about the restaurant biz.  We are talking about menus they would reprint inside a year anyway (wear and tear, lost, damaged, or new items) at a very small cost. 

It sounds like you don't know anything about running a small business.  You definitely don't know anything about fitness apps and how easy they are to use. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
It sounds like you don't know anything about running a small business.  You definitely don't know anything about fitness apps and how easy they are to use. 

this only applies to chains with 15+ locations?  and it's only for 2000+ mg items? 

Not a huge deal.    2000 mg in one item is pretty disgusting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 08:19:10 AM »

O Rly?

Good question.  This might be the only product on the market that kills people, in a slow, painful, and expensive manner, when used as directed.  In other words, unlike food or alcohol, you don't have to abuse the product for it to kill you.  Our government gives tobacco companies a pass on this and even subsidizes the industry.  Our courts don't hold them accountable.  It is an evil industry IMO.   

I could pull a number of quotes like this, but I know you don't let those pesky facts get in the way of an absurd assumption.   :)

I bet you will be in the front of the line trying to lobby a legislature for a bill that forces waiters to actually feed you your food at a restaurant table.  Heck, you probably want them to wipe your okole in the bathroom.  

Is this you?  "Wipers!"   ;D

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
I could pull a number of quotes like this, but I know you don't let those pesky facts get in the way of an absurd assumption.   Smiley

Great job at completely missing the point.  ::)

Smoking cigarettes is just as voluntary as eating at a restaurant.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »

Great job at completely missing the point.  ::)

Smoking cigarettes is just as voluntary as eating at a restaurant.

Comparing restaurant food to cigarettes and tobacco companies is ridiculous. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »
Comparing restaurant food to cigarettes and tobacco companies is ridiculous. 

No, it's completely apt. Fast food companies and cigarette companies use a lot of the same forms of insidious marketing. Big fast food is doing its best to be as physically addictive as tobacco, which is one of the reasons the sodium content is so high.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33:43 AM »
No, it's completely apt. Fast food companies and cigarette companies use a lot of the same forms of insidious marketing. Big fast food is doing its best to be as physically addictive as tobacco, which is one of the reasons the sodium content is so high.

Dude this is absolutely absurd.  Tobacco companies market poison.  They have been peddling carcinogens for years.  Nicotine is more addictive than heroin and cocaine.  They must hook kids to stay in business.  Comparing that to fast food is pretty dumb. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
Dude this is absolutely absurd.  Tobacco companies market poison.  They have been peddling carcinogens for years.  Nicotine is more addictive than heroin and cocaine.  They must hook kids to stay in business.  Comparing that to fast food is pretty dumb. 

Your point? With the exception of being more addictive than heroine or cocaine, everything in that post applies to fast food. And if the fast food industry could make it as addictive as heroine, they would.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
Your point? With the exception of being more addictive than heroine or cocaine, everything in that post applies to fast food. And if the fast food industry could make it as addictive as heroine, they would.

Really?  Sodium is a carcinogen?  A poison?  You are seriously putting sodium on the same level as the carcinogens in cigarettes?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
Really?  Sodium is a carcinogen?  A poison?  You are seriously putting sodium on the same level as the carcinogens in cigarettes?

I didn't say that sodium was a carcinogen. I said that everything in your post applied to fast food.