Author Topic: Older getbiggers...is it still possible to train injury and pain free  (Read 7216 times)

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Re: Older getbiggers...is it still possible to train injury and pain free
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2015, 03:48:00 AM »
The problem with bodybuilding isolation movements is that you're deliberately putting the muscles and joints in a position of poor leverage. It's not an accident that you can't use much weight on lateral raises, flyes or the aforementioned Skull Crushers.

The marginal benefits of these exercises are outweighed by the stress on the joints. Being able to do this for your whole life is 100% about avoiding injury.

The reality is that by the time you hit your late 20s, you are what you are, and still chasing "Hypertrophy" after that is a fools game. I admit I played that game for awhile, but, if I could go back, I'd do it differently.

Hi Doug BRIGNOLE...

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2015, 03:51:09 AM »

The reality is that by the time you hit your late 20s, you are what you are, and still chasing "Hypertrophy" after that is a fools game. I admit I played that game for awhile, but, if I could go back, I'd do it differently.

I guess you are talking strictly a clean trainee. Otherwise - it's completely different ball of game. I know plenty of ppl who are still going heavy at 50 with no issues. They are smart ppl, took a great care of training properly and have been very consistent for decades. Injuries, just like being injury free, usualy does not happen accidentaly.
 I don't want to repeat myself, but when I see 90 percent of ppl in the gym - I can tell that most will injure themselves on the way just because they doesn't warm up properly. And that includes amateurs and "advanced" gym rats. I could bet that most ppl writing here neglect a proper warm up constantly. And there cannot be a neglect. If you are in a hurry - do one exercise less, but have your throughout warmup instead. Sadly - only a handful do this.

Bodybuilding is great for joints, even heavy weight bodybuilding, if done properly.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2015, 06:24:59 AM »
I guess you are talking strictly a clean trainee. Otherwise - it's completely different ball of game. I know plenty of ppl who are still going heavy at 50 with no issues. They are smart ppl, took a great care of training properly and have been very consistent for decades. Injuries, just like being injury free, usualy does not happen accidentaly.
 I don't want to repeat myself, but when I see 90 percent of ppl in the gym - I can tell that most will injure themselves on the way just because they doesn't warm up properly. And that includes amateurs and "advanced" gym rats. I could bet that most ppl writing here neglect a proper warm up constantly. And there cannot be a neglect. If you are in a hurry - do one exercise less, but have your throughout warmup instead. Sadly - only a handful do this.

Bodybuilding is great for joints, even heavy weight bodybuilding, if done properly.

You're 30. You're not qualified to speak on this until you actually experience it. When I was your age, I could dunk a basketball. Now, at 50, I can barely touch the backboard.

When I was in my twenties, I used to say stupid shit to the old timers who told me what to expect. I was wrong. So are you.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2015, 06:28:00 AM »
I currently am battling a string of injuries that are really preventing me from training like I want to.....I've had the same injuries for a good 4 months at least.....seems like they'll never heal despite really slowing down my training quite a bit. Any older getbiggers still train hard without constant and nagging injuries or joint pain?  >:(

Train like vince taylor.. volume....

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2015, 06:32:04 AM »
Train like vince taylor.. volume....

Yeah, volume means lighten up the weights.

Lot of emotional infants in this thread who think they're gonna stay young and continue to get bigger forever.

Ronnie was able to do this for longer than any living human being. How's he doing healthwise, these days?

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »
You're 30. You're not qualified to speak on this until you actually experience it. When I was your age, I could dunk a basketball. Now, at 50, I can barely touch the backboard.

When I was in my twenties, I used to say stupid shit to the old timers who told me what to expect. I was wrong. So are you.

Tell that to O'hearn.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »

Yeah, volume means lighten up the weights.

Lot of emotional infants in this thread who think they're gonna stay young and continue to get bigger forever.

Ronnie was able to do this for longer than any living human being. How's he doing healthwise, these days?

Me and TuHolmes went to the olympia 2014...ronnie had 2 forearm canes walking through the expo... thats when i said "fuck that, im not lifting stupid heavy no more"

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2015, 07:04:12 AM »

Bingo! I used to be young, dumb and full of cum myself.
I always imagined I'd be the exception and go on lifting heavy forever, free from joint issues.

Now at near 60 yrs of age I KNOW differently.
Cars, race horses and humans , all age and decline with enough time and mileage.

This is why it's rare to see pro athletes in their 40's and they are long gone by  50.

Track sprinters are one the best examples of this .
They  stretch and warm up as good or better then most athletes.
They don't get hit or knocked around like football , soccer or hockey.
How many elite, world class sprinters are as fast in their 40's as they were in their 20's?
Granted a small handful have COMPETED at 40 but never run their fastest.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2015, 07:05:12 AM »
Me and TuHolmes went to the olympia 2014...ronnie had 2 forearm canes walking through the expo... thats when i said "fuck that, im not lifting stupid heavy no more"

So, you are still lifting heavy, then?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2015, 07:06:57 AM »
So, you are still lifting heavy, then?
no... i dont.. the highest i go to on bench is 315
the highest i go to on squat is 405...

disclaimer.. im 250 so those numbers arent super awesome...

Lifting heavy kills joints that just dont recover at the same rate as muscle

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2015, 07:07:47 AM »

I think that was right after one his hip surgeries ?
No matter, it just goes to show that he pushed the envelope to win and wore his body out.
Happens to most NFL players and former pro MMA and boxers.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2015, 07:08:30 AM »
I think that was right after one his hip surgeries ?
No matter, it just goes to show that he pushed the envelope to win and wore his body out.
Happens to most NFL players and former pro MMA and boxers.

there is a sacrifice to everything...

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 07:13:50 AM »
Use good form.

Don't go heavier than is possible with good form.

Keep your ego off the bar.

Don't use former lifts as a measure of progress.

Stop trying to eat like crazy.

Listen to your body when a break is needed. Maybe do cardio or walking.

I don't do any drugs but they're probably not very good for older guys in terms of risk:benefit.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 07:14:39 AM »
no... i dont.. the highest i go to on bench is 315
the highest i go to on squat is 405...

disclaimer.. im 250 so those numbers arent super awesome...

Lifting heavy kills joints that just dont recover at the same rate as muscle

Is there even a reason to go higher than that for bb purposes?

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »
I have zero aches, pains or injuries from lifting and I started in '82. I've been training with variations of HIT since the early 90's. Always train to failure.

I'm currently recovering from a torn bicep which is non-workout related. Who knew you couldn't curl twice your body-weight with your weak arm? Once it heals I'll be right back to doing my regular workouts, pain free.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 07:26:58 AM »
There comes a time to go lighter to avoid exacerbating certain injuries.....it helps when you learn to work around injuries by still hitting the area with exercises that don`t annoy the injury/area further.

I go as heavy as possible for the reps I`m gunning for all the time excluding warm up sets of course.

My neck is fucked up,very iffy trick lower back so I now do non-lock squats on the Smith Machine,rotator cuff pain is gone since starting Deca and eliminating the useless exercise they call the bench press.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2015, 07:29:12 AM »
At 33, I am still battling the same injury from last year. Screwed up my elbow on skull crushers. It was bothering me for months. Got better, now its bothering me again. Ive taken off like 2 weeks and ill be going back in a few days, because its like 90% better. I suspect that this is always going to bother me in some way. I think I am going to have to change the way I train to accommodate my elbow. And I am only 33. So, I think its safe to say that as you get older, its impossible to train injury and pain free.
Always start your Tricep work with 2 sets of pushdowns for 40-50 reps and just stop doing skulls and replace them with french presses or bent-forward cable extensions.

Do higher reps for Tris and don`t rest as much between sets.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2015, 07:31:32 AM »
I have zero aches, pains or injuries from lifting and I started in '82. I've been training with variations of HIT since the early 90's. Always train to failure.

I'm currently recovering from a torn bicep which is non-workout related. Who knew you couldn't curl twice your body-weight with your weak arm? Once it heals I'll be right back to doing my regular workouts, pain free.

That's what I'm talking about.

A few daus ago I've witnessed a regular view at my gym, where a 55yo powerlifter was squatting around 650lb for his final set (built up with like five sets before that). No knee pain, no back pain, nothing we've talked about that many times with him. Dude works as a construction worker during the day, climbs roofs. Been powerlifting for more that 30 years. Go figure.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »
Not old but since getting into early 30s shoulder rotator work is an absolute godsent

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »
That's what I'm talking about.

A few daus ago I've witnessed a regular view at my gym, where a 55yo powerlifter was squatting around 650lb for his final set (built up with like five sets before that). No knee pain, no back pain, nothing we've talked about that many times with him. Dude works as a construction worker during the day, climbs roofs. Been powerlifting for more that 30 years. Go figure.

Lots of prodigies out there who have managed to check the aging process. Funny how they all would rather work construction and do powerlifting for no money, rather than make millions playing in the NFL.

Notice the ages:

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »
Is there even a reason to go higher than that for bb purposes?

i dont really think so. An 800lb squat is waaaaaaay more risk than reward.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2015, 07:50:33 AM »

i dont really think so. An 800lb squat is waaaaaaay more risk than reward.
Understatement of the year.

Why tempt fate ?

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2015, 07:54:33 AM »
Lots of prodigies out there who have managed to check the aging process. Funny how they all would rather work construction and do powerlifting for no money, rather than make millions playing in the NFL.

Notice the ages:

Who cares about pro athletes. Thread is not about this. And weight lifting sports are very often an exception in this regard. Take a look at strongmans champions and their age.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2015, 08:02:10 AM »
For me "training heavy" was over after 35.
Guess there are some mutants who can grind forever while the others train around their stockpile of aches. Totally not worth it as you can make some mediocre gains even with light weight and consistency.
The ecstasy of pumping heavy is, of course, gone and the sadness may be lingering for some months or even years.
Posting smilies may ease the pain.  :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »
well cause of my neck problem i just used Dumbbells Today, Front,side,rear raises and Dumbbell shrugs. No presses at all and i felt good and pain free.