Author Topic: Older getbiggers...is it still possible to train injury and pain free  (Read 7235 times)

V Man

• Getbig IV
I currently am battling a string of injuries that are really preventing me from training like I want to.....I've had the same injuries for a good 4 months at least.....seems like they'll never heal despite really slowing down my training quite a bit. Any older getbiggers still train hard without constant and nagging injuries or joint pain?  >:(

guyincognito

• Getbig III
  • LESLIE, SHUT YOUR FUCKING PIE HOLE!
Re: Older getbiggers...is it still possible to train injury and pain free
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
Quit bitching and up the dose. Pain exists between the ears.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
I currently am battling a string of injuries that are really preventing me from training like I want to.....I've had the same injuries for a good 4 months at least.....seems like they'll never heal despite really slowing down my training quite a bit. Any older getbiggers still train hard without constant and nagging injuries or joint pain?  >:(

At 33, I am still battling the same injury from last year. Screwed up my elbow on skull crushers. It was bothering me for months. Got better, now its bothering me again. Ive taken off like 2 weeks and ill be going back in a few days, because its like 90% better. I suspect that this is always going to bother me in some way. I think I am going to have to change the way I train to accommodate my elbow. And I am only 33. So, I think its safe to say that as you get older, its impossible to train injury and pain free.
X

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
About 30 and I've been pretty lucky with no major issues, although I have a pain in my right shoulder that I believe I tweaked when I came back too strong over the Summer (after quite a while off) doing front raises too much.

Pain in rear of right shoulder, feels like a bruise deep in there. No amount of pushing on the skin aggravates it, but if I tuck my arms into my sides and move my elbows past my back I can feel the tightness in there.

Never hurts while performing any other lifts, but I occasionally aggravate it when I am getting into position to do DB press, or it happens a lot when I go to re-rack weights. It's something about holding the weight out front of my with my palm facing a certain way that makes it hurt. And if I tweak it, it isn't like "oh shit I'm done for the day" it just burns like a nerve/electric pain and then stops. It isn't like I "re-injure" it per se. No range of motion lost and it doesn't hurt to rotate my arm.

Impingement? No idea..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
SHOULDER ...front delt that has caused a good 2 months and still nagging,my chest pressing,back/trap/arms/side and rear delts no issue at all using same weights/volume,,shoulder press to front and any chest press my weights are cut way down,,can do some flyes for chest,,,pushups fine but dips forget it I go straight down ..been supersetting chest with lighter weights..rom is still not there..

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
Shit comes and goes.  Can lift for 3 months straight and feel like Hercules, lubed joints, everything fine, then next day shoulder barely moves, wrists hurt, whatever.  No rhyme or reason.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
64 years old= remember pain is just weakness leaving the body.................... ........................ ...........or so they say..................... .......best thing to remember if it hurts don't do it... refer to this book for an alternate exercise for the same bodypart...
F

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
Shit comes and goes.  Can lift for 3 months straight and feel like Hercules, lubed joints, everything fine, then next day shoulder barely moves, wrists hurt, whatever.  No rhyme or reason.

This.

For me, I know what screwed up my elbow. The pain comes and go. Some exercises I can't do, and some I can. I think Im going to need to go light-medium and use higher reps for the next couple months. Sucks when you injure your elbow, as it is involved in pretty much every upper body movement.  :-\ :-\

I noticed that if I warm up my elbow via bodyweight exercises (dips, pushups, etc), then my elbow doesnt bother me as much.
X

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
Yeah Shoulder seems to be a common one. Mine has been bothering me since I can't remember when.....but it is finally starting to feel like it's getting better slowly. I also have an issue with my left elbow....which a weird type of injury.....only hurts when gripping a bar tightly and straightening my arm at the same time. Never had that one before.
Also having bicep tendon issues on my right arm. And today I tweaked my knee doing legs  :-\

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »
This.

For me, I know what screwed up my elbow. The pain comes and go. Some exercises I can't do, and some I can. I think Im going to need to go light-medium and use higher reps for the next couple months. Sucks when you injure your elbow, as it is involved in pretty much every upper body movement.  :-\ :-\

I noticed that if I warm up my elbow via bodyweight exercises (dips, pushups, etc), then my elbow doesnt bother me as much.
I love dips but they are brutal on elbow/shoulders if there is an issue already there..

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
I love dips but they are brutal on elbow/shoulders if there is an issue already there..

They are also really hard on your palms/wrist if you've had a hand injury in the past.

Speaking from experience.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 02:27:11 PM »

I use the assisted dip machine, as the weight allows me to counterbalance my own bodyweight, so its not like I am using all of my bodyweight.

X

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:52 PM »
At 33, I am still battling the same injury from last year. Screwed up my elbow on skull crushers. It was bothering me for months. Got better, now its bothering me again. Ive taken off like 2 weeks and ill be going back in a few days, because its like 90% better. I suspect that this is always going to bother me in some way. I think I am going to have to change the way I train to accommodate my elbow. And I am only 33. So, I think its safe to say that as you get older, its impossible to train injury and pain free.

Actually training makes my injuries feel better. Try a cortisone injection to bring down inflammation and break up bursitis.

Ice works great too.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
I was thinking about posting about this the other day.

I just got back to training in September after a couple of years due to very dire health issues and personal stuff.

Anyways a few weeks ago I decide to throw everything upside down so to speak as I have always found that I was strongest and most energetic about midway through the workout. Example say leg day in the past on squats I would work up typically to 275-315 for 6-12 reps depending on how strong etc I felt. But I often found many times when I started with squats or whatever as the heavy move I often did not feel right with the heavier weights yet when say my heavier move(squats being the example here) was done after leg presses  it would sometimes a challenge but alot smoother than when I do my heavier moves first.

Now all that being said here is what I have been doing the last few weeks showing 2 different chest workouts as the example,
This one I did last week. I add weight every set, first set is usually pretty easy. Ironically the 15-25 rep ones kick my ass
Dumbell Pullover 3x15-25
Seated Machine Dips 3x15-25
Cable Crossovers 3x10-12
Incline Dumbell Flyes(high incline 60%) 3x10-12
Incline Dumbell Press 3x6-8

This weeks looks like this
Incline Dumbell Press 3x15-25
Hammer Machine press 3x15-25
Cable Crossover 3x10-12
Dumbell Pullover 3x10-12
Parallel Bar Dips(wide grip) 3x6-8

Just an example but I have just noticed the last couple weeks my strength is slowly going back up, my aches and pains(other than DOMS) has reduced to nothing and my bodyfat is starting to reduce more
I also devote a full workout to my rotators after my chest workout

Also I have also found that have one leg day that is quad dominant  and one leg day being hamstring/glute dominant to help in the lower back lower body range. I also do neck exercises(just 2 giant sets 4 ways on the cable) every other day has strengthen that area back up and reduced aches

I think it's not so much we have to stop movements as we have to take our ego out of the movement and make adjustments example no matter how hard I try I cannot do a lying barbell extension the typical way. However I can do JM Presses and Lying extensions with the wider grip on the easy bar pain free
"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »
Actually training makes my injuries feel better. Try a cortisone injection to bring down inflammation and break up bursitis.

Ice works great too.

Yeah, I should ice my elbow more.
X

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »

Ice works great too.

Funny....I remember one time a few years ago, I completely stopped training to let my injuries heal and it seemed like for the first few weeks of not training that my injuries felt worse.

I thought cortisone would make things worse in the long run? I thought I read somewhere to stay away from that.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
Funny....I remember one time a few years ago, I completely stopped training to let my injuries heal and it seemed like for the first few weeks of not training that my injuries felt worse.

I thought cortisone would make things worse in the long run? I thought I read somewhere to stay away from that.

I have never had any problems from it and had my first one in college many years ago for a separated shoulder.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
Possible? Yes.
a

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »
I spend 20 minutes every day before I even touch a weight on mobility (no homo) work. Foam rolling, stretching, lacrosse ball work, etc.

I am still battling two shoulders and a pinched nerve in the neck at the moment. I haven't been 100% for months.

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
I think the last time my body was pain free was somewhere around 1985.

If something hurts while training, I move to a different exercise.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
I don't think so....

Everything wears out at some point

lilhawk1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »
Get on GH and stay on it, injury and pain free training.  If you can afford it and are over 30, then GH is a huge plus.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
I hear you man. I'm down to more and more machines. Any dumbell lifted over 80lbs now feels like it's destroying my forearm, shoulder, pec. But I need to get my pec minor worked on. Just applying deodorant is having me feel pain, lol...

Avoiding it, having that work on hurts like a mother fucker...
?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »
It's possible most of the time, but you have to be specific about exercise selection and train with strict form. If you don't already do so, keep a log of your training and add details about the pain during the following 48 hours. Do some light stretch work after your workouts and throw some cardio in the mix.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
In my late 30's I had chronic shoulder pain for about two years, even stopped me training for a good while.  Eventually got back to it and worked around it, avoided anything that didn't feel right.  I haven't had pain in my shoulders for a long while now.  Sometimes injuries just take a long time to come good, especially complex muscle groups like the shoulder.  Just do what you can.
V