Author Topic: Cardio Belief/Pre-Contest  (Read 4403 times)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Cardio Belief/Pre-Contest
« on: March 09, 2006, 11:46:03 AM »
OK...I know how I feel about the whole cardio thing, I am against it.  In my mind I would rather have a slightly stricter diet and do less cardio.  I also know everyone is different but I will give you my experience and I would like to hear what you all have to say.

I competed at 115 (8% bodyfat) last year and was too thin, not enough muscle.  During pre-contest prep I would do 3-5 sessions of cardio a week for 30-60 minutes.  Didn't do cardio the entire winter and just focused on lifting, got up to 140 and gained a massive amount of strength (for a girl ;)).  I'm pre-contest again and am dreading the cardio.  Haven't started doing it yet, just cleaned up my diet and I am already down to 130 (13-14%??).  I'm eating about 2000 clean calories a day (100 G. carbs) and haven't seen too much loss in strength...yet.  My goal is 120, 8%.  Right now I've been leaning out very well (I swear by my supplements and that they have helped lean my out faster). 

So my quandary...I was going to incorporate 3-4 days of cardio 25-40 minutes 12 weeks out from Junior Nationals (I have a smaller show in 8 weeks), so four weeks from now.  Some other competitors were telling me it is BETTER to eat more calories and carbs but do more cardio and I'll come in tighter.  Is that true???  I can understand more cardio the last week or so to get some water weight off but how will it help you get tighter now?  It seems counter-intuitive to me to eat more, spend energy on cardio as opposed to keeping a clean diet and limiting cardio (which I believe leads to muscle loss) and focusing all my attention on lifting.

Wanted to know how you guys felt about this.  Also, some of the people giving me the advice were definitely not natural which I think would make a difference.
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Cardio Belief/Pre-Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
I am thinking this is one of those quandarums that can only be answered by yourself and your specific body.  Anytime you get this detailed it really depends on how your specific body will react to these certain elements.  If I were you I wouldn't change a thing because sounds like things are going good and your heading in the right direction.  If I were you I wouldn't wanna deviate from what your comfortable with before an event like the Jr. Nationals.

Peace out
GET_BIGGER
Pure Muscle Overnight Inc.
President of Bathroom Cleaning     

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 07:12:32 PM »
OK...I know how I feel about the whole cardio thing, I am against it.  In my mind I would rather have a slightly stricter diet and do less cardio.  I also know everyone is different but I will give you my experience and I would like to hear what you all have to say.

I competed at 115 (8% bodyfat) last year and was too thin, not enough muscle.  During pre-contest prep I would do 3-5 sessions of cardio a week for 30-60 minutes.  Didn't do cardio the entire winter and just focused on lifting, got up to 140 and gained a massive amount of strength (for a girl ;)).  I'm pre-contest again and am dreading the cardio.  Haven't started doing it yet, just cleaned up my diet and I am already down to 130 (13-14%??).  I'm eating about 2000 clean calories a day (100 G. carbs) and haven't seen too much loss in strength...yet.  My goal is 120, 8%.  Right now I've been leaning out very well (I swear by my supplements and that they have helped lean my out faster). 

So my quandary...I was going to incorporate 3-4 days of cardio 25-40 minutes 12 weeks out from Junior Nationals (I have a smaller show in 8 weeks), so four weeks from now.  Some other competitors were telling me it is BETTER to eat more calories and carbs but do more cardio and I'll come in tighter.  Is that true???  I can understand more cardio the last week or so to get some water weight off but how will it help you get tighter now?  It seems counter-intuitive to me to eat more, spend energy on cardio as opposed to keeping a clean diet and limiting cardio (which I believe leads to muscle loss) and focusing all my attention on lifting.

Wanted to know how you guys felt about this.  Also, some of the people giving me the advice were definitely not natural which I think would make a difference.

You lost ten pounds when you cleaned up your diet. Maybe you are allergic to something you removed from your diet? Your body might've been trying to dilute the toxins by holding onto fluid. How fast did you loose the weight?

Don't really have much of an opinion about the cardio, except that I'm starting to come around to the idea that more exercise and more calories could work better. Usually when I loose fat it just kind of happens when I get stressed or tired of forcing food down.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »
Well, I wasn't eating very good...no understatement-I was eating really badly.  A few donuts in the morning, whatever I wanted for lunch that included cheese and dessert every night.  I stayed under 20% bodyfat, at most maybe 18% so for a girl not too bad.  I've been cleaning up my diet for about 2 months.  It is plausible that I have a slight wheat intolerance.  Also in the off-season I wanted to get big so I could put on some size so I enjoyed myslef-I really couldn't handle being close to contest shape year round.  When I eat clean it is mainly vegetables, high quality proteins and oatmeal/some sweet potatoes, oh and almonds and natty pb.   

GB-I agree that I probably won't change what I am doing I just wanted people's opinions on what they thought was the right way and why.  Just trying to learn :)
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:12:23 AM »
Learning comes through experience which I'm sure you know.  I'm just saying that you will truly never know what works for you until you try it and make it applicable to your specific genes.  Sometimes it might even take 2 or 3 attempts. 

I believe in the philosophy "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and sweetie with you there ain't nothing remotely close of being broke.....so I wouldn't even think about changing a thing....just my .02

;D

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 06:36:09 AM »
Treadmill, 3mph. That shit is amazing and will melt the fat off of ya.
What I do when I diet is:

Month 1
1 hour on empty stomach in the morning 6 days a week

Month 2
1 hour on empty stomach in the morning 7 days a week
30 minutes in the evening

Month 3
1 hour on empty stomach in the morning 7 days a week
1 hour in the evening

Month 4
Same as month 3, I just start playing with my carbs (I keep my carbs pretty high throughout my diet but I'm pretty diced by this stage anyway)
young niggah greedy