Author Topic: Trump: "I may cut Department of Education,"  (Read 723 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Trump: "I may cut Department of Education,"
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
Speaking with Fox News host Chris Wallace this weekend, 2016 GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump made a remarkable statement about what he planned for the Department of Education, if and when he becomes president.

"I may cut Department of Education," Trump said. "I believe Common Core is a very bad thing. I believe that we should be -- you know, educating our children from Iowa, from New Hampshire, from South Carolina, from California, from New York. I think that it should be local education."

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
Re: Trump: "I may cut Department of Education,"
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:51:12 PM »
Good. We spend more per child than any one else and we get our asses kicked by other countries with kids re-using paper and sharing books.

Each of my kids get their own personal school iPad, yet half the class is below their grade's reading level.  
Common core sucks
We throw money at the problem and expect it to change the culture of mediocrity
Y

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
it needs reform for sure

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 01:36:56 AM »
It's not popular to be bright, express yourself well, value education, and reward it's outward manifestation in daily life...Because educated people are considered "elitist"...

So the vector sum;
...children, especially males, tend to not want to be smart.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:05:37 AM »
i know common core is a state thing, but from getbig I did learn that the fed govt gives some of the $ to make it possible.

Does the dept of education do anything useful?  Aside from assisting in common core, what are their other roles? 

absfabs

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
Speaking with Fox News host Chris Wallace this weekend, 2016 GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump made a remarkable statement about what he planned for the Department of Education, if and when he becomes president.

"I may cut Department of Education," Trump said. "I believe Common Core is a very bad thing. I believe that we should be -- you know, educating our children from Iowa, from New Hampshire, from South Carolina, from California, from New York. I think that it should be local education."

If only people noticed that feds can't have dept of education according to bill of rights, and the constitution.  Its illegal.  Feds funding student loans is also unconstitutional. 
http://www.cato.org/blog/education-constitution
http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/03/congress-enumerated-powers/

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
He also has said that he would significantly cut the EPA.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 05:04:22 AM »
It's not popular to be bright, express yourself well, value education, and reward it's outward manifestation in daily life...Because educated people are considered "elitist"...

So the vector sum;
...children, especially males, tend to not want to be smart.
best answer yet
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 06:37:51 AM »
i know common core is a state thing, but from getbig I did learn that the fed govt gives some of the $ to make it possible.

Does the dept of education do anything useful?  Aside from assisting in common core, what are their other roles?  

GOP candidates love to pound their fist, raise their voice, and claim that they will "eliminate" the Department of Education.  It is a good applause line with the base, so why haven't they done it?  Are they not "tough" enough to handle a bunch of wimpy teachers?  It is like someone on the far left saying they want to eliminate the Department of Defense.  Just because you are clueless about a department's mandate, how it functions, etc. does not mean the department should be eliminated; it merely means you need to be educated.  Once candidates get into office they are quickly (if superficially) schooled on the departments: what they do, why, how, etc.  It quickly becomes clear that the tough talk of "eliminating" the department was just that: empty talk.

Reagan, Bush I, Bush II--none of them touched the Department of Education.  In fact, Bush used it to implement No Child Left Behind. Should we conclude that they were all conservative wimps and somehow Trump--with zero experience in government--will be "tough" enough to do it?  GOP candidates have said the same thing about the Environmental Protection Agency as well... for many years.  ::)

http://www.ed.gov/
http://www.defense.gov/
http://www3.epa.gov/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »
DOD is a function of Constitution....whatever you want to call it. You need an organzing body in order to "provide for the common defense". You don't need Dept ED...states can execute that function....and you can scale back the EPA to the point that they only conduct inspections and can no longer establish laws as this EPA is doing.
L

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
DOD is a function of Constitution....whatever you want to call it. You need an organzing body in order to "provide for the common defense". You don't need Dept ED...states can execute that function....and you can scale back the EPA to the point that they only conduct inspections and can no longer establish laws as this EPA is doing.

Then why haven't the last three conservative tough guys done it?  Reagan had two terms; Bush I had one term; Bush II had two terms and more than once they had majorities in Congress.  I suppose you (and Trump?) are tougher than they are.  ::)