Author Topic: adding a 35% tax to EVERY foreign vehicle import?  (Read 1884 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
adding a 35% tax to EVERY foreign vehicle import?
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:43:06 AM »
Do you support this?  Kias go from 14,500 to $20,000.   Or the BMW goes from $60k to $92.000. 

Trump proposed this last night.  He said "I'm all for free trade, but..." then went on to say how this saves the US car mnfg for companies like Ford. 

Isn't a MASSIVE tax like 35% on imports the complete OPPOSITE of supporting free trade?  About an anti- free trade as one can get?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: adding a 35% tax to EVERY foreign vehicle import?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:57:53 AM »
Trump always overstates his first proposal and then negotiates down from there. Covered in further detail on page 73 in The Art of The Deal.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:01:27 AM »
But isn't ANY new tariff, even 1%, a violation of free trade?

And is this even a presidential power?

Who is he even negotiating with?

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:49:14 AM »
Do you support this?  Kias go from 14,500 to $20,000.   Or the BMW goes from $60k to $92.000.  

Trump proposed this last night.  He said "I'm all for free trade, but..." then went on to say how this saves the US car mnfg for companies like Ford.  

Isn't a MASSIVE tax like 35% on imports the complete OPPOSITE of supporting free trade?  About an anti- free trade as one can get?

yeah that makes zero sense.  you can't be for "free trade" and support that kind of tax on imports.  you're forcing the consumer to buy American by putting restrictions ON THE CONSUMER.  instead of making the American manufacturing companies compete to put out the best product at the cheaper price.

the problem is that these companies are being restricted by high income taxes, sales taxes, union restrictions, etc.  and we want to help out the American companies by hurting the American consumer.  robbing peter to pay paul.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 08:28:33 AM »
yeah that makes zero sense.  you can't be for "free trade" and support that kind of tax on imports.  you're forcing the consumer to buy American by putting restrictions ON THE CONSUMER.  instead of making the American manufacturing companies compete to put out the best product at the cheaper price.

the problem is that these companies are being restricted by high income taxes, sales taxes, union restrictions, etc.  and we want to help out the American companies by hurting the American consumer.  robbing peter to pay paul.

not only that, you cannot be "really big into free trade, a real free trade guy!" and at the same time, promise some EXTREME tax at the 35% tariff level.  They're polar opposites. 

it goes to show ya just how blind those trump supporters are.  "yeah, I agree with trump about free trade being a good thing, but I also agree a 35% tariff on all cars would help Ford."    Um, ya can't have both.

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 08:36:03 AM »
not only that, you cannot be "really big into free trade, a real free trade guy!" and at the same time, promise some EXTREME tax at the 35% tariff level.  They're polar opposites. 

it goes to show ya just how blind those trump supporters are.  "yeah, I agree with trump about free trade being a good thing, but I also agree a 35% tariff on all cars would help Ford."    Um, ya can't have both.

....and what tariff does China impose on american imports?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:51:01 AM »
....and what tariff does China impose on american imports?

AH!

So Trump's outright dishonest hypocrisy is okay because - um - china does it too?

I'm fine if you want to say Tariffs are cool and you agree with trump - but how in the world can he say he supports Free Trade when tariffs (particularly HIGH ONES) are the OPPOSITE of Free Trade?

Trump trying to please everyone.   Doesn't work like that. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »

both sides are allowing this highly regulated, high tax, heavy restriction business environment.  nobody cares.  gay marriage, abortion, and free shit rule the day.

if you vote for Trump, you're fucking stupid.  if you vote for Hillary, you're fucking stupid.

Trump is not a President.  sorry.  He's simply trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator Conservative Republican halfwit.  The Republican party doesn't try and stand for anything, they're just trying to get votes.  This ra ra shit works on the feeble minded.  So they'll keep doing it.

Anyone who was against the war in Iraq who votes for Hillary is a fucking idiot.

if Hillary gets voted in please don't let me hear democrats point to a politicians' voting record ever again.  seriously.  you vote for Hillary do NOT talk to me about how a Congressman voted on anything ever again.  you lost your privilege to do that.\

And Bernie fucking Sanders????  He targeting a bunch of liberal know nothings who want to be Denmark and have ZERO idea of what that actually means.

someone wake me when its over. 

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »
both sides are allowing this highly regulated, high tax, heavy restriction business environment.  nobody cares.  gay marriage, abortion, and free shit rule the day.

if you vote for Trump, you're fucking stupid.  if you vote for Hillary, you're fucking stupid.

Trump is not a President.  sorry.  He's simply trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator Conservative Republican halfwit.  The Republican party doesn't try and stand for anything, they're just trying to get votes.  This ra ra shit works on the feeble minded.  So they'll keep doing it.

Anyone who was against the war in Iraq who votes for Hillary is a fucking idiot.

if Hillary gets voted in please don't let me hear democrats point to a politicians' voting record ever again.  seriously.  you vote for Hillary do NOT talk to me about how a Congressman voted on anything ever again.  you lost your privilege to do that.\

And Bernie fucking Sanders????  He targeting a bunch of liberal know nothings who want to be Denmark and have ZERO idea of what that actually means.

someone wake me when its over. 

Unfortunately, it may come down to these 2, so you will likely have to vote for 1 of them. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Unfortunately, it may come down to these 2, so you will likely have to vote for 1 of them. 

I know.  just feeding the machine. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 11:56:52 AM »
it flat out boggles my mind how all the liberals that I know (and I know a shit ton, I'm in Illlinois) have been talking shit for years about GWB and the war in Iraq and it's crazy how emotional they get when discussing it...................... ...and now they are all going to vote for Hillary Clinton.  they've all just taken the whole Iraq war topic, put it in a box, and threw it in the back of the garage under all the other old shit they don't want to see ever again. 

If this on top of the fact that Trump is actually making a run at this doesn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt my point that these elections live and die on abortion, homosexuals, and free shit, I don't know what does. 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 12:55:53 PM »
Why should a Toyota Tundra incur a 35% tax compared to Chevy Silverado?
Many "American" cars are not quite American, and conversely many "foreign" cars are designed and made in the USA.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 01:00:02 PM »
Why should a Toyota Tundra incur a 35% tax compared to Chevy Silverado?
Many "American" cars are not quite American, and conversely many "foreign" cars are designed and made in the USA.

if a person is "very free trade", then they are very much against a 35% import tariff.

I cannot believe people are stupid enough to just believe trump can have it both ways.

I'm convinced some will just support him no matter what he says or does.  they want that PERSONALITY in the white house, they don't care what he stands for or what laws he'll write - most of them won't be affected too much.  But they'll feel like they were a PART of something "great", something "huge".

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
it flat out boggles my mind how all the liberals that I know (and I know a shit ton, I'm in Illlinois) have been talking shit for years about GWB and the war in Iraq and it's crazy how emotional they get when discussing it...................... ...and now they are all going to vote for Hillary Clinton.  they've all just taken the whole Iraq war topic, put it in a box, and threw it in the back of the garage under all the other old shit they don't want to see ever again. 

If this on top of the fact that Trump is actually making a run at this doesn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt my point that these elections live and die on abortion, homosexuals, and free shit, I don't know what does. 

True.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
"There is a very easy way to prevent anyone from being put into harm's way, and that is for Saddam Hussein to disarm, and I have absolutely no belief that he will.  I have to say that this is something I have followed for more than a decade.

For now nearly 20 years, the principal reason why women and children in Iraq have suffered, is because of Saddam's leadership.

The very difficult question for all of us, is how does one bring about the disarmament of someone with such a proven track record of a commitment, if not an obsession, with weapons of mass destruction.

I ended up voting for the Resolution after carefully reviewing the information and intelligence I had available, talking with people whose opinions I trusted, trying to discount political or other factors that I didn't believe should be in any way a part of this decision, and it is unfortunate that we are at the point of a potential military action to enforce the resolution.  That is not my preference, it would be far preferable if we had legitimate cooperation from Saddam Hussein, and a willingness on his part to disarm, and to account for his chemical and biological storehouses.

With respect to whose responsibility it is to disarm Saddam Hussein, I do not believe that given the attitudes of many people in the world community today that there would be a willingness to take on very difficult problems were it not for United States leadership.  And I am talking specifically about what had to be done in Bosnia and Kosovo, where my husband could not get a Security Council resolution to save the Kosovar Albanians from ethnic cleansing.  And we did it alone as the United States, and we had to do it alone.  It would have been far preferable if the Russians and others had agreed to do it through the United Nations -- they would not.  I'm happy that, in the face of such horrible suffering, we did act."

Senator Hillary Clinton (Democrat, New York)
    During a meeting with "Code Pink" at the US Capitol
    March 6, 2003

flash forward two years later..............."wait the Bush Administration tricked me.  I think the war is wrong."

yeah let's make her the fucking president of the fucking United fucking States of fucking America.

Honestly, the fact that we have Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton running against each other for POTUS just proves my grandfathers point that usually people get exactly what they deserve.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
But isn't ANY new tariff, even 1%, a violation of free trade?

And is this even a presidential power?

Who is he even negotiating with?

tariffs were the norm for most of America's history, and were eventually replaced with the Income Tax.

economic nationalism builds strong nations, global 'free' trade ultimately weakens nations and makes them lose their economic and industrial independence.

ending tariffs/economic nationalism in favor of 'free' trade and the Income Tax, in the interest of having most products be a little bit cheaper, is the nation-equivalent of selling one's soul

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »
Actually, I agree with a tariff.

I'm not sure of the actual percentage, but I do think it would be good to promote the "Made In America" premise.

It would certainly level the playing field in regards to import vs domestic costs to the consumer.

That's how things were for a LONG time.

I am personally NOT for complete free trade because it has only hurt the US in history. NAFTA, free trade with Asia, all have hurt the US middle class and in turn, our economy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »
ending tariffs/economic nationalism in favor of 'free' trade and the Income Tax, in the interest of having most products be a little bit cheaper, is the nation-equivalent of selling one's soul

I agree with a tariff.   BUT i don't claim to be free trade at the same time.   Trump wants to be everything to everyone.  The most massive tariff in US history + I'm a big free trade guy.  Motherfvcker, you can't be both, Donald.