Author Topic: Whey after training?  (Read 3211 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Whey after training?
« on: March 10, 2006, 07:29:58 PM »
Not necessarily

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2073-81. Related Articles, Links

Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exercise.

Tipton KD, Elliott TA, Cree MG, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR.

Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children and Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA. ktipton@utmb.edu

PURPOSE: Determination of the anabolic response to exercise and nutrition is important for individuals who may benefit from increased muscle mass. Intake of free amino acids after resistance exercise stimulates net muscle protein synthesis. The response of muscle protein balance to intact protein ingestion after exercise has not been studied. This study was designed to examine the acute response of muscle protein balance to ingestion of two different intact proteins after resistance exercise. METHODS: Healthy volunteers were randomly assigned to one of three groups. Each group consumed one of three drinks: placebo (PL; N = 7), 20 g of casein (CS; N = 7), or whey proteins (WH; N = 9). Volunteers consumed the drink 1 h after the conclusion of a leg extension exercise bout. Leucine and phenylalanine concentrations were measured in femoral arteriovenous samples to determine balance across the leg. RESULTS: Arterial amino acid concentrations were elevated by protein ingestion, but the pattern of appearance was different for CS and WH. Net amino acid balance switched from negative to positive after ingestion of both proteins. Peak leucine net balance over time was greater for WH (347 +/- 50 nmol.min(-1).100 mL(-1) leg) than CS (133 +/- 45 nmol.min(-1).100 mL(-1) leg), but peak phenylalanine balance was similar for CS and WH. Ingestion of both CS and WH stimulated a significantly larger net phenylalanine uptake after resistance exercise, compared with the PL (PL -5 +/- 15 mg, CS 84 +/- 10 mg, WH 62 +/- 18 mg). Amino acid uptake relative to amount ingested was similar for both CS and WH (approximately 10-15%). CONCLUSIONS: Acute ingestion of both WH and CS after exercise resulted in similar increases in muscle protein net balance, resulting in net muscle protein synthesis despite different patterns of blood amino acid responses.
:

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Re: Whey after training?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 07:58:19 AM »
True that. I don't get the whey junkies who only do whey.

Casein is better during the day, though whey probably give you a lil edge right after workout (combined with carbs). I read that older people respond better to whey (they need more of a peak) and younger respond better to casein.
$

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
Agree, I don't think people have to get bent out of shape for their protein powders.  Although, in the hospital setting, due to the overwhelming evidence to whey's superiority, it is used to treat burn patients and those with wasting syndromes. 
just not good enough

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 08:41:29 PM »
Agree, I don't think people have to get bent out of shape for their protein powders.  Although, in the hospital setting, due to the overwhelming evidence to whey's superiority, it is used to treat burn patients and those with wasting syndromes. 
Cancer too.
:

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:46:51 PM »
Am i right in sayng casien is what is found in milk??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

HickoryStick

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 03:02:41 PM »
along with Whey

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »

davie
Correct, it is derived from milk.

along with Whey
This is actually a bi-product of cheese.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 06:52:45 AM »

davie

Milk protein is roughly 80% casien and 20% whey. At times, I've consumed 200 grams of whey protein per day. To get that from milk, I'd have to ingest 1000 grams of milk protein. Considering that each fluiid ounce has one gram of protein, that 1000 fl. oz. of moo juice (nearly EIGHT GALLONS!!).

I prefer whey, because it digests quickly. As we're supposed to eat every 2-3 hours anyway, whey works great for me. Post-workout, whey can't be beat in my book. But, don't sweat it. Consume SOME FORM of protein shake/MRP/weight-gainer within an hour after workout and you're in great shape.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:24:01 AM »
Milk protein is roughly 80% casien and 20% whey. At times, I've consumed 200 grams of whey protein per day. To get that from milk, I'd have to ingest 1000 grams of milk protein. Considering that each fluiid ounce has one gram of protein, that 1000 fl. oz. of moo juice (nearly EIGHT GALLONS!!).

I prefer whey, because it digests quickly. As we're supposed to eat every 2-3 hours anyway, whey works great for me. Post-workout, whey can't be beat in my book. But, don't sweat it. Consume SOME FORM of protein shake/MRP/weight-gainer within an hour after workout and you're in great shape.
Exactly, you need fast carbs right after your workout, maybe a lil bit of protein.
After an hour or so you need to take some carbs with lots of protein.

Thats my recipe. I read that chocolate milk is actually pretty good post workout. Though more advanced lifters probably want something like BCCA or whey and maltodextrin (sp?).
$

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 10:28:51 AM »
Umm. A scoop of whey in milk and 40 grams of maltose which you can buy from any brewery or supermarket.
young niggah greedy

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 08:11:43 AM »
Everything I have read says that Casein is a better protein to take before bed. It's a slower absorbing protein which is what one really needs for those 6-9 hr sleepers...

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »
Whey after training.......  ??? what happened?  ???

;D
Giving 110%

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 03:17:02 PM »
i've only ever used whey, I sampled this soy protein once....wow! never again. What brand of casien do most of you fellas use?
bodybuildersreality.com

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 03:29:52 PM »
i've only ever used whey, I sampled this soy protein once....wow! never again. What brand of casien do most of you fellas use?
i used to have some casiene like stuff for before bed...it was called "pro-bolic" supposed to spread out the protein over twelve hours.

d[-_-]b actin all cool