Author Topic: Androgen Receptor Regulation  (Read 1424 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Androgen Receptor Regulation
« on: March 11, 2006, 10:46:54 AM »
Is anyone here familiar with Bill Roberts and his writings about this topic?
The whole article is pretty interesting, although a bit long. If any of you are familiar with this article let me know what you thought about it. If no one has read this if you'd like I'll post up the whole thing, just to reiterate, it is extremely long.

In short he claims this:

• There is no scientific evidence whatsoever that AR downregulation occurs in human muscle, or in any tissue, in response to above normal (supraphysiological) levels of AAS.

• Where AR downregulation in response to AAS has been seen in cell culture, these results do not apply because the downregulation is either not relative to normal androgen levels but to zero androgen, or estrogen may have been the causative factor, or assay methods inaccurate for this purpose were used, or often a combination of these problems make the results inapplicable to the issue of supraphysiological use of androgens by athletes.

• AR upregulation in response to supraphysiological levels of androgen in cell culture has repeatedly been observed in experiments using accurate assay methods and devoid of the above problems.

• AR downregulation in response to AAS does not agree with real world results obtained by bodybuilders, whereas upregulation does agree with real world results. (A neutral position, where levels in human muscle might be thought not to change in response to high levels of androgen, is not disproven however.)

• The "theoretical" arguments advanced by proponents of AR downregulation are invariably without merit.

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Androgen Receptor Regulation
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 11:30:00 AM »
interesting.
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 05:36:52 PM »
Is anyone here familiar with Bill Roberts and his writings about this topic?
The whole article is pretty interesting, although a bit long. If any of you are familiar with this article let me know what you thought about it. If no one has read this if you'd like I'll post up the whole thing, just to reiterate, it is extremely long.

I read it a long time ago.

He brings up interesting points.  The problem is, while there is no evidence to support androgen receptor downgrade, there isn't exactly evidence against it either.  At least not in clincial studies using bodybuilders on supraphsiological levels of testosterone and other AAS.

I don't support either side, but really nothing has been proven or disproven so what is the point?

It's pretty much his opinion based on limited research in the area.

Nothing new here.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

w_llewellyn

• Getbig II
  • X-Factor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:15:40 AM »
The human studies actually tend to support receptor upregulation. This makes for a fairly unusual interaction between hormone and receptor, in which activation/transcription ultimately causes the production of more receptor protein.

X-Factor: Most Potent Natural Anabolic

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 10:08:42 PM »
The human studies actually tend to support receptor upregulation. This makes for a fairly unusual interaction between hormone and receptor, in which activation/transcription ultimately causes the production of more receptor protein.

I can tentatively buy that upregulation occurs through hormone interaction with the receptor in addiction to formation of satellite cells, though there sure hasn't been alot of elaboration in this area, William.

It's still a gray area in my opinion.....

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

w_llewellyn

• Getbig II
  • X-Factor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:54:02 AM »
I can tentatively buy that upregulation occurs through hormone interaction with the receptor in addiction to formation of satellite cells, though there sure hasn't been alot of elaboration in this area, William.

It's still a gray area in my opinion.....

DIV

I agree that more work needs to be done, but the picture of Androgen Regulation of AR concentrations is becoming much clearer these days. Take a look at this paper, which cites several other references for you to look at. I think you will find it very interesting. It uses supraphysiological doses of testosterone to produce its results.

Androgen Receptor in Human Skeletal Muscle and Cultured Muscle Satellite Cells: Up-Regulation by Androgen Treatment
INDRANI SINHA-HIKIM et al. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 89(10):5245–5255

"AR expression in the skeletal muscle decreases after castration and is up-regulated by androgen administration (26, 28, 30)."

X-Factor: Most Potent Natural Anabolic