Author Topic: Hebrews boycotting Oscars  (Read 27562 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Re: Hebrews boycotting Oscars
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2016, 06:08:19 PM »
the scott is the king of insubstantive rhetorical flourishes

What? No!  He's clearly too smart for me understand. The more he flaps his hands and bangs his keyboard, the smarter he seems.  ::)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »
What? No!  He's clearly too smart for me understand. The more he flaps his hands and bangs his keyboard, the smarter he seems.  ::)

The angels weep for your stupidity.  I am not all that smart, really. Maybe in comparison to you, but I doubt it. You are tied to your bitterness by the dominatrix of your hatred.

I am not come to salve your fetid prejudice by agreeing with that which is wrong.  You are not this stupid, so quit trying for the Oscar for Best Supporting Racist and change for the better instead of the bitter. 

Or not. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »
The angels weep for your stupidity.  I am not all that smart, really. Maybe in comparison to you, but I doubt it. You are tied to your bitterness by the dominatrix of your hatred.

I am not come to salve your fetid prejudice by agreeing with that which is wrong.  You are not this stupid, so quit trying for the Oscar for Best Supporting Racist and change for the better instead of the bitter.  

Or not.  

I don't think you're smart. That was sarcasm. That's what that eye-roll emoticon was for.

You've been screaming out for my attention for the past half page. If you feel like I misunderstood you, feel free to restate what you meant in another way. Of course, you don't have to, but I don't think I did misunderstand you and I can feel comfortable continuing not to give a shit about you or your opinion.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
1) The key difference is the selection process in sport is transparent with the draft systems. How some of the hollywood films get approved is a real mystery. Most of it is crap too, everyone knows hollywood is a closed system that one needs to somehow get inside.  this is what spike lee basically said about these "green light meetings" in that clip someone just posted.

2) A better comparison would be to simply look at another award system like the emmys or grammys and compare and see what you find.

As for the market driven economy stuff that's a fairy tale too.

1) Just sounds too conspiratorial for me to buy in. Can't possibly sit through a Spike Lee interview, but wouldn't common sense tell us a 'green lit' film is either one with a statistically high potential return (for major studios); or, one a more artistically inclined (often smaller/independent) studio just digs and wants to see made? Too simple?

2) Awards are subjective. Alleging deliberate, racially-based exclusion carries the same weight as "too many incarcerated blacks, justice system must be racist." Correlation does not imply causation, a fallacy so embraced here, it gets tiresome having to constantly remind those who employ it.

Other than too many nominated whites and too few blacks, what else are we working with here? It proves NOTHING. There are probably at least 50 white actors feeling equally snubbed this year, but we won't hear from them. A dozen white directors, too, probably, feeling their films got snubbed. No outspoken protests, no boycotts, no mention at all, yet I'll bet they feel every bit as deserving as those who got nominated.

So sick of every mf'n thing being about race. More played out than shitty comic book/superhero movies.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »
Because the word diversity is a total lie.  They don't want diversity.  They don't give half a shit about diversity.  They don't know the meaning of the word.

To them diversity is a slick sounding way to say they want more black people in stuff.  They want more blacks to win awards.  They want more blacks to be in charge of shit.  They want more blacks to own shit.  They don't give a shit about Asians or Hispanics or native Americans or any other minority group. They are demanding that whites give more black people jobs, accolades or power that they did not earn.....because racism, because slavery.

My answer is a swift fuck you.

diversity = nonwhite. Simple as that.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2016, 06:57:49 PM »
Getbig heavy hitters in full force in this thread. I am honored to be graced by the most muscular, and most intelligent getbiggers.
X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2016, 07:02:23 PM »
It was. I was hoping to do some analyses on how race and studio perceptions affected careers in specific ways, but it looks like neither one of us is around that much tonight and it'll probably come up again at some point.

Therefore, I'll ask you a simple question and hopefully you'll answer honestly. Currently the voting members of the Academy are 95% white. If the Academy was 95% Black, do you think that all of the nominees in all four of the major acting categories for the last 2 years would have been still been white? Or do you think if the voting Academy was 95% black, that would have affected the racial make up of the nominees?

It would certainly affect the nominations. Wasn't aware of the 95%, not even sure how one becomes an Academy member. Guess it would just reverse the "problem" (minus the boycotts and such), but yeah, that 95% probably subconsciously affects some votes, sure.

However, still believe we're just not getting Oscar-worthy efforts (with one or two exceptions this year) to make much of a case. I can honestly admit this, if that 95% were flipped, I'd probably stop paying attention to the Oscars altogether. Have to imagine it'd turn into an activism issue pretty quick.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #282 on: January 21, 2016, 07:03:02 PM »
I don't think you're smart. That was sarcasm. That's what that eye-roll emoticon was for.

You've been screaming out for my attention for the past half page. If you feel like I misunderstood you, feel free to restate what you meant in another way. Of course, you don't have to, but I don't think I did misunderstand you and I can feel comfortable continuing not to give a shit about you or your opinion.

Actually, you don't think.  Period.  Want proof.  Look here.  Or in the mirror.

Nah. You're just a shit poster.  There's nothing special or deep there, you just try to make it seem that way.

What a niggardly way with words you have.  Doubtless due to your being something of a Genovan Genius.  Rather than learn something worthwhile you choose to be taught a lesson.  

By the way Genova, "niggardly" means "cheap" so no need for you to get all butthurt.  Go intercourse yourself, punky.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »
It would certainly affect the nominations. Wasn't aware of the 95%, not even sure how one becomes an Academy member. Guess it would just reverse the "problem" (minus the boycotts and such), but yeah, that 95% probably subconsciously affects some votes, sure.

However, still believe we're just not getting Oscar-worthy efforts (with one or two exceptions this year) to make much of a case. I can honestly admit this, if that 95% were flipped, I'd probably stop paying attention to the Oscars altogether. Have to imagine it'd turn into an activism issue pretty quick.

So, if blacks were the majority voters it would have such an impact that you couldn't even take the awards seriously anymore, but you seriously can't fathom that an industry majority run by whites would favor whites? Really??  ::)  

Is it because blacks are more racist than whites?

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2016, 07:07:37 PM »
1) Just sounds too conspiratorial for me to buy in. Can't possibly sit through a Spike Lee interview, but wouldn't common sense tell us a 'green lit' film is either one with a statistically high potential return (for major studios); or, one a more artistically inclined (often smaller/independent) studio just digs and wants to see made? Too simple?

2) Awards are subjective. Alleging deliberate, racially-based exclusion carries the same weight as "too many incarcerated blacks, justice system must be racist." Correlation does not imply causation, a fallacy so embraced here, it gets tiresome having to constantly remind those who employ it.

Other than too many nominated whites and too few blacks, what else are we working with here? It proves NOTHING. There are probably at least 50 white actors feeling equally snubbed this year, but we won't hear from them. A dozen white directors, too, probably, feeling their films got snubbed. No outspoken protests, no boycotts, no mention at all, yet I'll bet they feel every bit as deserving as those who got nominated.

So sick of every mf'n thing being about race. More played out than shitty comic book/superhero movies.

1) too simple!

A lot of films don't make money and how exactly these studios stay afloat seems to be an open question. I gather they make money on merchandising etc. I'll have to look into this some more.

2) That's a whole other subject. Something tells me the justice system is not an example that will work to support this argument. The FBI spent a lot of time investigating MLK jr. for example. why? ??? lol.  I still feel looking at the grammys makes more sense but hell people claim the grammys are racist too.

Additionally, what we are working with is that this is the second year in a row of the same phenomenon which indicates a pattern. Also the larger point is to have good look at the industry to see if it's fair. It's possible there's nothing to be learned but I recommend remaining open to new information on this.
"

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:55 PM »
So, if blacks were the majority voters it would have such an impact that you couldn't even take the awards seriously anymore, but you seriously can't fathom that an industry majority run by whites would favor whites? Really??  ::)  

Is it because blacks are more racist than whites?

Seems you didn't really want an honest response afterall. Already addressed most of this in my previous post. Really don't feel like repeating it, but yeah, imagine I might eventually lose even more interest (as I barely pay attention now).

You can't be serious with that bottom question, so I'll just skip it.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »
1) too simple!

A lot of films don't make money and how exactly these studios stay afloat seems to be an open question. I gather they make money on merchandising etc. I'll have to look into this some more.

2) That's a whole other subject. Something tells me the justice system is not an example that will work to support this argument. The FBI spent a lot of time investigating MLK jr. for example. why? ??? lol.  I still feel looking at the grammys makes more sense but hell people claim the grammys are racist too.

Additionally, what we are working with is that this is the second year in a row of the same phenomenon which indicates a pattern. Also the larger point is to have good look at the industry to see if it's fair. It's possible there's nothing to be learned but I recommend remaining open to new information on this.

While they may not make money in the US box office, they often make it up on the backside in DVD / Blu-Ray / On-Demand / Digital sales.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2016, 08:18:07 PM »
Seems you didn't really want an honest response afterall. Already addressed most of this in my previous post. Really don't feel like repeating it, but yeah, imagine I might eventually lose even more interest (as I barely pay attention now).

You can't be serious with that bottom question, so I'll just skip it.

Of course I wanted an honest answer. At least you had the integrity to answer honestly, but I could have predicted your next move of pretending like there was some fundamental difference that made the comparison invalid. That was exactly my point. When you flip the race around, it's crystal clear that race  the race of the gatekeepers has an impact, but there are probably a million reasons why that's only the case for blacks and not for whites.

The bottom question might be phrased provocatively, but it's a response to a  predictable pattern. Just like Tu Holmes with the Kevin James hypothetical earlier in the thread. One set of circumstances is just common sense when it comes to blacks, but if the same situation involves whites,  race has nothing to do with anything.  ::)  And now, surprise!surprise!, you're sick of responding, too.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2016, 08:21:08 PM »
Lazy fucks wanting free shit. Nothing more. They come in every color.
a

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:11 PM »
Getbig heavy hitters in full force in this thread. I am honored to be graced by the most muscular, and most intelligent getbiggers.

The Getbig Knights of the Round Table are sitting on the sidelines watching this purse fight

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #290 on: January 22, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »
Of course I wanted an honest answer. At least you had the integrity to answer honestly, but I could have predicted your next move of pretending like there was some fundamental difference that made the comparison invalid. That was exactly my point. When you flip the race around, it's crystal clear that race  the race of the gatekeepers has an impact, but there are probably a million reasons why that's only the case for blacks and not for whites.

The bottom question might be phrased provocatively, but it's a response to a  predictable pattern. Just like Tu Holmes with the Kevin James hypothetical earlier in the thread. One set of circumstances is just common sense when it comes to blacks, but if the same situation involves whites,  race has nothing to do with anything.  ::)  And now, surprise!surprise!, you're sick of responding, too.

I believe the technical term for this pattern is "aversive". The subject experinces an unconscious, uncanny discomfort when confronted with their contradictory positions. You are not the first to notice this pattern. Also why often the best we can hope for are rhetorical flourishes in the absence of real thoughts.

Aversive racists, in contrast, sympathize with victims of past injustice, support principles of racial equality, and genuinely regard themselves as non-prejudiced, but at the same time possess conflicting, often non-conscious, negative feelings and beliefs about Blacks that are rooted in basic psychological processes that promote racial bias (Gaertner & Dovidio, 1986). The negative feelings that aversive racists have toward Blacks typically do not reflect open antipathy, but rather consist of more avoidant reactions of discomfort, anxiety, or fear. That is, they find Blacks ‘aversive’, while at the same time find any suggestion that they might be prejudiced ‘aversive’ as well.

http://www.yale.edu/intergroup/PearsonDovidioGaertner.pdf

:D
"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
The Getbig Knights of the Round Table are sitting on the sidelines watching this purse fight

lmao!  ;D ;D
X

paradoxno1

• Getbig II
« Reply #292 on: January 22, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
who is going to serve the food and clean the toilets ??

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: January 22, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
All Doggity: I asked before but which black actors in a 2015 movie besides Beast of No Nation deserved nominations? I have not seen a lot of movies in 2015 so list them here and I will check them out.

Besides Elba I think the young black actor Abraham Attah should also have received a nomination. Attah was actually the main character in Beast of No Nation so Elba would have had to receive a supporting actor nomination.

The black kids in that movie had very good performances. Every bit as good as Elba if not better.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #294 on: January 22, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »

“Selma” the MLK movie, we never see a movie like that before

“Wedding Ringer”   Kevin Hart comedy

“Focus” Will Smith, plays a con man who takes on a partner, but things get blurry when he starts dating the mudshark

“Magic Mike XXL” - Jada Smith , Stripper movie

“Fantastic Four” - Michael B. Jordan where it was a wise move to replace Johnny with a black actor

“Straight Outta Compton” 4 Nigggas with attitudes rap fuck the police

StarWars , Black Stormtrooper guy

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »
I saw 3 black films that might of been decent contenders -

Bessie -

But, that was classed as a television film since it was made for HBO.

Beasts of No Nation -

Solid film, but still weak enough that it could easily be unseated by any other good film. Also made for Netflix rather than an established film company, so that might of hurt it.

Straight Outta Compton -

Same general thought as Beasts of No Nation in terms of general quality, but weaker in substance than it.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
How could this not have won a 5 mic source award

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »
I saw Beast of No Nation last week, but its like Holocaust movies , you seen one , you seen them all

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
I'd suggest anything Tyler Perry. Everything the man touches is gold, yet the Academy's clear anti-black bias results in snub after snub, year after year.

The Academy Awards "The Affirmative Era" will soon be upon us.

Begin to cart out all the future token Hebrew "award winners".

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »

Yes, impossible that the conversation had just grown tiresome, because that never happens. Chalk it up as another owning, champ.