Author Topic: Body dysmorphia. Oh brother.  (Read 12655 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Body dysmorphia. Oh brother.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 08:25:48 AM »
Well, I accept that distinction. I suppose that I am talking about the non-clinical "social" diagnosis that seems to underlie much of the fat acceptance movement, not the clinical diagnosis. That said, clinical psychology has a penchant for allowing social movements to determine diagnostic trends. Witness the redefinition of autism and the explosion of clinical diagnosis of ADD in otherwise active boys. I suspect that clinical psychology to "catch up" to the social diagnosis soon.

Well, let me correct you on your above statement. The DSM task force is actually headed by the American Psychiatric Association, NOT the American Psychological Association (Clinical/Counseling Psychologists). Each disorder has a taskforce, and psychologists are part of the task force (some more than others). However, the DSM is published and headed by the American Psychiatric Association (Psychiatrists). The DSM V sucks, and many clinical/counseling psychologists have taken a stand against it. Many new diagnoses are often "made up," so psychiatrists can push their medication. Obviously, you do not know, but there are is a huge force of psychologists that are pushing back against psychiatry. So, blame psychiatry, not clinical psychology for the social trends of diagnoses. We are required by the insurance companies and the law to follow the DSM. We have no choice. Damn psychiatrists.

Autism and Aspergers have similar traits, and were thus categorized under "Autism Spectrum Disorder" with a severity qualifier (mild, moderate, or severe). I am fine with this. Ive worked with both populations. At the core, many of the symptoms are strikingly similar.

I don't agree with the explosion of ADHD diagnoses and the medicine that is given to children. Many clinical/counseling psychologists do not agree with this.

Again, even if clinical psychology caught up with the social trend, it wouldn't create a new diagnosis. It may just lead to an overdiagnosis of the BDD. However, just like in any profession, there are good and bad people. Hopefully, the good will be able to tease apart real BDD from you're every day gym rat.
X

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »
Well, let me correct you on your above statement. The DSM task force is actually headed by the American Psychiatric Association, NOT the American Psychological Association (Clinical/Counseling Psychologists). Each disorder has a taskforce, and psychologists are part of the task force (some more than others). However, the DSM is published and headed by the American Psychiatric Association (Psychiatrists). The DSM V sucks, and many clinical/counseling psychologists have taken a stand against it. Many new diagnoses are often "made up," so psychiatrists can push their medication. Obviously, you do not know, but there are is a huge force of psychologists that are pushing back against psychiatry. So, blame psychiatry, not clinical psychology for the social trends of diagnoses. We are required by the insurance companies and the law to follow the DSM. We have no choice. Damn psychiatrists.

Autism and Aspergers have similar traits, and were thus categorized under "Autism Spectrum Disorder" with a severity qualifier (mild, moderate, or severe). I am fine with this. Ive worked with both populations. At the core, many of the symptoms are strikingly similar.

I don't agree with the explosion of ADHD diagnoses and the medicine that is given to children. Many clinical/counseling psychologists do not agree with this.

Again, even if clinical psychology caught up with the social trend, it wouldn't create a new diagnosis. It may just lead to an overdiagnosis of the BDD. However, just like in any profession, there are good and bad people. Hopefully, the good will be able to tease apart real BDD from you're every day gym rat.

Good post. I will leave the psychology aspects now where I am clearly outgunned and just concentrate my fire on fat or out of shape folks that do not strive to better themselves. They make me ill.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 08:28:56 AM »
There is something to it.  On some mornings I'll feel bloated and wear a tank to the beach or park and see a bunch of fatasses shirtless.  I'm in better shape than any of those guys but If I don't feel on point I won't take off my shirt.

You can have traces of BDD, without actually having full-blown BDD. I think everyone who fervently tries to gain more and and more muscles has small traces of BDD. However, for most people, it just doesn't reach the level of impairment or a clinical diagnosis, except in those rare cases.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:49 AM »
Good post. I will leave the psychology aspects now where I am clearly outgunned and just concentrate my fire on fat or out of shape folks that do not strive to better themselves. They make me ill.

I 100% agree with you. I think that we live in an era where people are accepted for an unhealthy lifestyle.

This is thing, in the field of clinical psychology, we already know the importance of a strong body and strong mind. There is a clear link between mental health and physical health. The evidence is overwhelming in the field of Clinical Health Psychology (sub-field of psychology that studies the link between brain/mind and body).

I think EVERYONE should exercise and eat a good diet. To me, its not an option. It should be a requirement in life.
X

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
Do you spend a lot of time in the gym? Check
Do you obsess about the size of your muscles? Check
Do you think you should have bigger muscles? Check

::)

Since when does striving for self-improvement have to be a disorder? We used to refer to that as a net positive. Sometimes, you really DO look like a steaming pile of shit. There is far too much unearned self-regard in this country. I'm sorry, but you really are weak and really do need more muscle and yes, women actually do dig guys with muscles. Deal with it.
C'mon dude.  You're smart enough to know the difference between strivibg to look good/adding muscle and body dismorphia. 

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 09:28:34 AM »
C'mon dude.  You're smart enough to know the difference between strivibg to look good/adding muscle and body dismorphia. 

Indeed I am, brother. You are missing my point. It is the vast majority of society that fails to note the difference.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »
But when does the amount of work put in justify the diminished returns?

If you enjoy doing it, then by all means continue, but working out 6-7 times a week is clearly overkill in your case.

That is what you must come to grips with. Are you progressing, or are you annihilating, and wasting most of your time?

I'd say you would get the same results from working out 3 times a week, but your body dysmorphia is obviously telling you otherwise.

Plain and simple: You are addicted to working out. Lack of results nonwithstanding.

[

This makes sense. Shizzo is an addict so he is qualified to offer training advice, even if has no experience himself.

So trolling here is just what you do.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:15 AM »
Do you spend a lot of time in the gym? Check
Do you obsess about the size of your muscles? Check
Do you think you should have bigger muscles? Check

::)

Since when does striving for self-improvement have to be a disorder? We used to refer to that as a net positive. Sometimes, you really DO look like a steaming pile of shit. There is far too much unearned self-regard in this country. I'm sorry, but you really are weak and really do need more muscle and yes, women actually do dig guys with muscles. Deal with it.

It's a real thing. They see a different body in the mirror.

Simplest example I can use is Bulimia. You could think a woman hot as two motherfuckers. She looks in the mirror and sees is a fat fuck that needs to diet and exercise more.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 09:39:47 AM »
It's a real thing. They see a different body in the mirror.

They should just take a picture.   That usually cures me of thinking I look decent when I use the mirror.   ;D
Y

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
There is something to it.  On some mornings I'll feel bloated and wear a tank to the beach or park and see a bunch of fatasses shirtless.  I'm in better shape than any of those guys but If I don't feel on point I won't take off my shirt.

at 15-16% I feel like a cow, to an average skinny fat chick at a bar "Im super ripped." gym goers have overly high standards

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:39 AM »
They should just take a picture.   That usually cures me of thinking I look decent when I use the mirror.   ;D

They'd still see a distorted image.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »

I do this and then send a pic to AJ.  :D

This was one I first sent to him this summer.  

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
They'd still see a distorted image.

Message board lesson:  Large smiley face icon that follows a post generally indicates a joke or sarcasm.
Y

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 10:24:46 AM »
Message board lesson:  Large smiley face icon that follows a post generally indicates a joke or sarcasm.

We've seen some pretty bad pictures on this site.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »
We've seen some pretty bad pictures on this site.
I agree.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
I agree.

That guy looks like total shit, should give up on working out, and possibly take up swimming.

Fucking twink!

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »
That guy looks like total shit, should give up on working out, and possibly take up swimming.

Fucking twink!
That's the spirit!  ;D

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
I 100% agree with you. I think that we live in an era where people are accepted for an unhealthy lifestyle.

This is thing, in the field of clinical psychology, we already know the importance of a strong body and strong mind. There is a clear link between mental health and physical health. The evidence is overwhelming in the field of Clinical Health Psychology (sub-field of psychology that studies the link between brain/mind and body).

I think EVERYONE should exercise and eat a good diet. To me, its not an option. It should be a requirement in life.
I've never been able to wrap my head around doctors who are morbidly obese.  I work in the medical field and see it all the time.  I myself wouldn't want to be treated by someone who clearly doesn't take care of themselves.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
I've never been able to wrap my head around doctors who are morbidly obese.  I work in the medical field and see it all the time.  I myself wouldn't want to be treated by someone who clearly doesn't take care of themselves.

The interesting thing is that  not everyone can take their own advice. You can tell someone else to eat healthy from a professional standpoint, but sometimes that does not transfer to one's own life.
X

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
Indeed I am, brother. You are missing my point. It is the vast majority of society that fails to note the difference.
Ah yes, my bad.  I Read the post but didn't really "read" it.  I do agree, most people think a little muscle is outrageous.  I think most people haven't ever been in a true hardcore gym and probably think that the few somewhat bigger guys in their local LA fitness are the biggest guys out there.  

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

Fucking twink!

Is this a race bait?  :D

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
I do this and then send a pic to AJ.  :D

This was one I first sent to him this summer.  

brutal fake wood trim on the car
T

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
Most getbiggers have Reverse Body Dysmorphia.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 01:18:49 PM »
Body dysmorphia DOES exist. It's real, even if you think it doesn't exist.

The problem is that you're taking body dysmorphia out of context. You're fitting the behavior into a small framework and saying, "Look, it really doesn't exist." Yup, sounds like critical thinking to me.  :D :D
Of course it exists. But, what I am talking about is the "need for acceptance". The morbidly obese want to be accepted as looking just as attractive normal sized people. This is more prevelant for women than men, as nobody cares about morbidly obese men and their wants. But at the same time, people find in shape people attractive. So, you have this fight with wanting all to be accepted, but the reality is that it is not.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »
Is this a race bait?  :D

He sucks at swimming.