Author Topic: Brokered Convention  (Read 16488 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Brokered Convention
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »
Been hearing and reading about this possibility.  It can happen.  For those who believe Trump is running away with this, it's important to keep the numbers in perspective:

Number of Trump Votes in Iowa and New Hampshire:  145,833.
Number of combined votes for other GOP candidates in Iowa and New Hampshire:  320,185.

As the field narrows, I doubt those voters get behind Trump, because they probably would have been supporting him in the first place. 

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
Re: Brokered Convention
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
I have to believe that if it gets to a brokered convention, Rubio would be favored.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
I have to believe that if it gets to a brokered convention, Rubio would be favored.

I agree.  More than half the GOP hates Trump.  Cruz doesn't have much support from the establishment.  If four candidates make a respectable showing in South Carolina and Nevada, and nobody is above 50 percent, I think that's probably where we are headed.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
Trump just needs 51% of the delegates?  He'll likely have those, particularly as more people drop out.

Don't forget, Bush BEAT Rubio in NH, and he may easily beat him in SC also. 

IF it goes to a brokered convention, my $ is on Jeb/Rubio ticket.  NOBODY is going to out-manuever a Bush if it comes down to a deal at a table.  Jeb wins it that way. 

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:28:54 AM »

You are dreaming. They already smacked Rubio down for Jeb and put a pic of him in drag out there.

If it gets brokered it will be for Bush and Kasich. This is the party that offered up McCain remember.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »
Bush is the man with the most inside track, and there's no denying it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 10:46:15 AM »
Campaigns secretly prep for brokered GOP convention
Candidates, outside groups and party officials are quietly maneuvering for a nomination fight that goes all the way to the bitter end.
By BEN SCHRECKINGER 02/16/16

Marco Rubio's campaign, along with others, is preparing to enter the GOP shadow primary to gain an advantage over Donald Trump and Ted Cruz who lead the field. | Getty

Mysterious outside groups are asking state parties for personal data on potential delegates, Republican campaigns are drawing up plans to send loyal representatives to obscure local conventions, and party officials are dusting off rule books to brush up on a process that hasn’t mattered for decades.

As Donald Trump and Ted Cruz divide up the first primaries and center-right Republicans tear one another apart in a race to be the mainstream alternative, Republicans are waging a shadow primary for control of delegates in anticipation of what one senior party official called “the white whale of politics”: a contested national convention.

The endgame for the most sophisticated campaigns is an inconclusive first ballot leading to a free-for-all power struggle on the floor in Cleveland.

“This is going to be a convention like I’ve never seen in my lifetime,” said veteran operative Barry Bennett, who managed Ben Carson’s campaign until December and is now advising Trump. “It’s going to be contentious from Day One.”

The primaries and caucuses that dot the nominating calendar and whose results drive headlines will decide whom most delegates are bound to vote for on the first ballot at the Republican National Convention. Should the first ballot fail to produce a nominee, the outcome of the convention will depend on results of the parallel primary now underway for the hearts and minds of delegates.

Each state party has its own rules governing delegate selection, a process so steeped in nuance and legal ambiguity that there are multiple blogs dedicated to wading through it all.

In some states, campaigns select slates of their own delegates, making it relatively easy to send loyalists to Cleveland.

In many others, delegates to Cleveland will be selected at a series of conventions held at the congressional district and state levels. Candidates who are able to get supporters to show up at those conventions and elect loyal delegates would be rewarded in a multiballot Republican convention — even if those delegates are bound to vote for someone else in the first round.

“Just because you get x number of delegates, it doesn’t mean that it’s your people unless you go to these conventions and get people to run,” said Marco Rubio’s deputy campaign manager, Rich Beeson. “You want to make sure that they’re with you on subsequent ballots.”

Rubio, who openly contemplated the possibility of a contested convention in an AP interview last week, is not the only candidate whose campaign is preparing to contest the shadow primary.

One Southern state party chairman said that the calls from campaigns seeking data — such as contact information on eligible delegates and the names of people who have served as delegates in past years — began in late 2015. The chairman said calls have also come from third-party vendors who declined to identify which campaigns are their clients. “There’s a bit of skulduggery. … I suspect some super PACs are behind some of this.”

Toby Neugebauer, a Cruz super PAC megadonor who has long maintained that this nominating contest would be drawn out, said he has invested in custom delegate-tracking software but did not provide further details of his efforts on that front.

The Southern state party chairman who called an open convention “the white whale of politics” said the possibility is driving side conversations at party meetings. “We all sit around and talk about it at [Republican National Committee] meetings.”

Bennett said that when he worked for Carson, whose supporters have been among the most enthusiastic and visible at activist gatherings like the Conservative Political Action Conference, the campaign knew its candidate’s passionate grass-roots support would allow it to excel at the herculean organizing challenge of sending loyal representatives to a contested convention.

“We thought we could do very well at the micromechanics of getting delegates selected,” said Bennett. “People like Trump, who’s got a social media following of 5 million, or Cruz, who has good connections at the grass-tops level, will be fine. I don’t think any of the establishment candidates are that well positioned.”

Now that Bennett is advising Trump’s camp, he has not stopped planning for a floor fight in Cleveland. One Trump insider said Bennett is angling to serve as the mogul’s liaison to the national convention.

Trump’s campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, declined to comment for this story except to write in an email: “That is not the role Barry [Bennett] serves.”

After losing the Iowa caucuses to a better-organized Cruz earlier this month, Trump said he had only recently learned the meaning of the term “ground game.” But according to a person involved in briefing the New York billionaire, Trump has understood the underlying mechanics of the nominating process since at least last year.

As currently written, the rules governing the national convention require a candidate to have won a majority of delegates in eight states or territories to be eligible for the nomination. A candidate will need a majority of delegates — 1,237 — to win it.

“He knows about the number, and he knows about the process. He’s aware of the eight states. He’s aware that it could be taken away from him. He knows about the 1,237, and he knows that they can have people stay in as long as they want just to stop him from getting over the Rubicon.”

And Trump’s campaign has not ignored the basics of delegate selection.

In December, his mid-Atlantic team sent out an email seeking potential delegates for the District of Columbia’s March 12 delegate convention. In January, it sent out another email listing requirements for supporters seeking to run as Trump-endorsed delegates in Maryland.

Representatives of the campaigns of John Kasich and Jeb Bush did not respond to requests for comment for this story.

As a true political outsider, Trump, despite his history of business deal making, would likely find himself at a disadvantage after the first ballot in Cleveland, even if he enters with more delegates than any single rival.

“Donald Trump would get smoked at an open convention,” said the Southern state party chairman, who said he had seen little evidence that Trump is courting the 150 national committee members and state chairs who will serve as automatic delegates to Cleveland and unofficial leaders of their state delegations if the convention turns into a floor fight. “If they were smart, Donald Trump would call every state chair and strike up a friendship.”

A person intimately involved with Trump’s political operation confirmed that the businessman’s campaign is not courting RNC members and lamented that omission as a mistake. “Somebody’s got to be talking to these pricks and at least taking them off the accelerator and making sure they’re not working against you,” the person said.

While a contested convention could be the last chance for the Republican establishment to deny the nomination to Trump or Cruz, it is far from clear that a multiballot process will hand power to an establishment-friendly candidate such as Rubio.

In an earlier era, a handful of party bosses could settle on a nominee in a back room. Now, the current rules of delegate selection in many states are set up to reward grass-roots activists with trips to the convention, making it difficult for party officials to control the process.

In New York, where party officials have greater control over delegate selection than in most states, state GOP Chairman Ed Cox said he expects party central-committee members will confer with the campaign of whichever campaign won in each congressional district when selecting delegates from that district.

(Cox predicts the convention will end on a “contested first ballot,” in which a clear front-runner is able to pull in enough unpledged delegates to forestall a multiballot free-for-all.)

“It’s harder to stack the delegate deck,” Bennett said of the diminished influence of party power brokers. Instead, he said the RNC’s best chance to affect the outcome is its power to recommend rules for governing the convention, which delegates will vote on before turning to the task of selecting the nominee. “If Carson and Trump and Cruz don’t agree on something, they can splinter them.”

One former RNC chairman, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, suggested another soft power that the national party could assert over the outcome. The RNC’s Committee on Arrangements controls the logistics of conventions, including the allocation of staging space for campaigns’ whipping operations. In the heat of a floor fight, such details could become meaningful.

But another former chairman, Michael Steele, warned that any attempt by party insiders to nudge the nomination to a favored candidate would be disastrous. “If they want to monkey around with this process and try to fix it, they’re asking for all hell to break loose,” he said.

“Any inkling that state party officials or national party officials are colluding and conspiring to prevent a particular individual from getting the nomination,” he said, “will basically create Armageddon with the base.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/brokered-republican-convention-cleveland-219306#ixzz40S6ccz6h

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »
...another former chairman, Michael Steele, warned that any attempt by party insiders to nudge the nomination to a favored candidate would be disastrous. “If they want to monkey around with this process and try to fix it, they’re asking for all hell to break loose,” he said.

“Any inkling that state party officials or national party officials are colluding and conspiring to prevent a particular individual from getting the nomination,” he said, “will basically create Armageddon with the base.”

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 11:30:23 AM »
Steele is spot on.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
Steele is spot on.

They wouldn't even let Ron Paul's people off of the bus, though, and they got away with that.

Not a word about it from these tough guys.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 11:41:29 AM »
Trump is the only one who will get screwed if there is a brokered convention, although the overwhelming majority of the GOP doesn't want him, so even if there is "chaos," it will likely be limited to Trump's minority of supporters within the party.  

He may file lawsuits, run as an independent, throw a tantrum, talk about people's mother, etc., but he's not going to be the nominee.  

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »

hes gotta actually win something first...

now that the universe united to tear apart Cruz, it looks like TRUMP is gonna run away with it. the idea of a 'brokered convention' when one candidate wins almost every state by double digits would fatally erode the credibility of the party itself (not that it has much left anyways).

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »
Trump is the only one who will get screwed if there is a brokered convention, although the overwhelming majority of the GOP doesn't want him, so even if there is "chaos," it will likely be limited to Trump's minority of supporters within the party.  

He may file lawsuits, run as an independent, throw a tantrum, talk about people's mother, etc., but he's not going to be the nominee.  

This should be the last thing a Republican should want, though.  Pretty sure.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »
hes gotta actually win something first...

now that the universe united to tear apart Cruz, it looks like TRUMP is gonna run away with it. the idea of a 'brokered convention' when one candidate wins almost every state by double digits would fatally erode the credibility of the party itself (not that it has much left anyways).

Nothing will kill the credibility of the GOP more than Trump as the GOP nominee.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
This should be the last thing a Republican should want, though.  Pretty sure.

Depends.  It is looking more likely that the FBI will make a criminal referral regarding Hillary.  That could propel Sanders or cause Biden to jump in.  A crippled Hillary is probably still most likely to be elected president, but an independent run might pull Democrats as well as Republicans. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
Nothing will kill the credibility of the GOP more than Trump as the GOP nominee.

To me, it says everything about the other choices.  If the people want to get away from those clowns, send a message to them, whatever, I'm totally understanding with it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
To me, it says everything about the other choices.  If the people want to get away from those clowns, send a message to them, whatever, I'm totally understanding with it.

The overwhelming majority of votes so far are for the other choices, i.e., not for Trump. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »
Depends.  It is looking more likely that the FBI will make a criminal referral regarding Hillary.  That could propel Sanders or cause Biden to jump in.  A crippled Hillary is probably still most likely to be elected president, but an independent run might pull Democrats as well as Republicans. 

Yes, so much of it depends upon how the Democrats shape up.  

Just like if it looks like Bernie is going to take it from Hillary (for any reason at all), then I am 100% sure a person is already waiting to step in and take votes from Bernie in the General.  No doubt.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
The overwhelming majority of votes so far are for the other choices, i.e., not for Trump. 

Can't that be said about any one of them?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:07:05 PM »
Trump just needs 51% of the delegates?  He'll likely have those, particularly as more people drop out.

Don't forget, Bush BEAT Rubio in NH, and he may easily beat him in SC also. 

IF it goes to a brokered convention, my $ is on Jeb/Rubio ticket.  NOBODY is going to out-manuever a Bush if it comes down to a deal at a table.  Jeb wins it that way. 

Then loses to both Trump and the Democratic nominee in the general election.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 12:08:02 PM »
Can't that be said about any one of them?

Yes.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 12:11:52 PM »
Yes.

I think there are going to be some hard feelings if a shadowy group of "insiders" decides they're going to do things their way.

But I wouldn't expect much resistance, and I think the insiders would bank on that absence of resistance, too.

Not the best of times in America, right now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
I think there are going to be some hard feelings if a shadowy group of "insiders" decides they're going to do things their way.

But I wouldn't expect much resistance, and I think the insiders would bank on that absence of resistance, too.

Not the best of times in America, right now.

If Hillary, Sanders, Trump, or Bush are elected, then I agree. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:45 PM »

It's funny though - the PEOPLE doing the actual VOTING want TRUMP to be the nominee.  Overwhelmingly.

The party itself? They're very much against Trump being the nominee.

We're now at the point where getbiggers have to choose between supporting the will of the PEOPLE, and the will of the PARTY.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
If Hillary, Sanders, Trump, or Bush are elected, then I agree. 

Unless bloomberg enters, or jeb/kasich steals it at the convention... how in the world isn't the next president one of these 3? (and jeb)