Author Topic: "BEEF Proten" - Biggest scam in recent years??  (Read 7788 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: "BEEF Proten" - Biggest scam in recent years??
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
Whey protein is the water runoff when cheese is made. It's no miracle either. Just stick to eating real food.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »
Whey protein is the water runoff when cheese is made. It's no miracle either. Just stick to eating real food.

If eating real food 5-6 times a day is a possibility...
?

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: "BEEF Protein" - Biggest scam in recent years??
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
According to the ingredients list it consists of only about 66% protein.
That's really low.

I used to get this guy who'd come in the store with a calculator to calculate the %'s thinking it was the end all be all way of telling which is the best.

if there's like 6 grams of carbs or more, it really lowers the % of protein, but does that really make it "no good?"

Those who think the higher % protein will save them from their physique troubles is the better deal are not really seeing the big picture of this...
?

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
I used to get this guy who'd come in the store with a calculator to calculate the %'s thinking it was the end all be all way of telling which is the best.

if there's like 6 grams of carbs or more, it really lowers the % of protein, but does that really make it "no good?"

Those who think the higher % protein will save them from their physique troubles is the better deal are not really seeing the big picture of this...

Of course.
But 66% is really really low.
Apart from that I don't want to know what the rest consists of...
©

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »
Of course.
But 66% is really really low.
Apart from that I don't want to know what the rest consists of...

Dosen't casein have low protein % also?
?

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 01:35:28 PM »
Dosen't casein have low protein % also?

What I mean, or let's say was trying to point out:
It is sold as protein.
So one might think it is high in protein content.
Other supplement companies put like 80-90+ % protein content (per serving) on the table.
Even those that also sell beef protein.
This one is just particular low at 66%.
©

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
What I mean, or let's say was trying to point out:
It is sold as protein.
So one might think it is high in protein content.
Other supplement companies put like 80-90+ % protein content (per serving) on the table.
Even those that also sell beef protein.
This one is just particular low at 66%.

But did you check the label and the carb/fat content?

If you were to do the numbers with a weight gainer, the protein % would be real low, but does not mean the actual protein is low quality.... They add the carbs to make it taste much better but sadly some only see the protein % and think it's no good.

But hell, I hate Kai and hope this stuff is crap..
?

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
But did you check the label and the carb/fat content?

If you were to do the numbers with a weight gainer, the protein % would be real low, but does not mean the actual protein is low quality.... They add the carbs to make it taste much better but sadly some only see the protein % and think it's no good.

But hell, I hate Kai and hope this stuff is crap..

Yes, I checked the ingredients.
Otherwise I couldn't come up with 66% (actually 63,2% they changed serving size) real protein content.
8g of carbs, no fat.
I wonder what's actually in there but I don't really want to know LOL.
I think it is crap.

But see for yourself:

©

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »
So there's 4.8 gr of "we don't know"

But I don't know enough about this to comment any further, just know the stuff was on sale in the clearance section at on online store and I was not interested in this gimmicky shit at all.

And no way would I ever put a container of anything with Kai's face on it on my counter.
?

OB1

• Getbig IV
©

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »
The Real Scoop on Beef Protein Powders

The author uses what he "thinks" to prove facts. On a forum, I can accept that,but something in a link needs to be stronger than what he says. Something along the line of "Beef protein manufacturers are likely just piling the unwanted parts of a cow onto some conveyor belt of gore"

How factual is that, really?
?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »
Muscle meds claim they get the beef from cows in Sweden? Oh, man, some top notch humour right there. Anyone have proof of this?

And how stupid of them to say creatine and glutamine in protein powders reduces the quantity of protein.

Ok, by a MERE LITTLE bit as they only but a MERE LITTLE bit. Fuck man... Is anyone out there able to think for themselves, just a little these days?

Tiger Fitness huh? I'll remember that name...
?

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »
The author uses what he "thinks" to prove facts. On a forum, I can accept that,but something in a link needs to be stronger than what he says. Something along the line of "Beef protein manufacturers are likely just piling the unwanted parts of a cow onto some conveyor belt of gore"

How factual is that, really?

I liked the parts where he mentions it's not actual beef.
Knowing the supplement industry it should be clear they sell you overpriced crap hiding behind merketing bs and lies.
Of course there are a few exceptions.

If properly analyzed it will be no different from gelatin I guess.

©

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »
the irony of 'ritch' criticizing others' rational faculties... ::)

dude, you are a simpleton.  the fact that you even bother scrutinizing supplements after decades of lifting attests to this...

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2016, 11:31:29 PM »
Muscle meds claim they get the beef from cows in Sweden? Oh, man, some top notch humour right there. Anyone have proof of this?

And how stupid of them to say creatine and glutamine in protein powders reduces the quantity of protein.

Ok, by a MERE LITTLE bit as they only but a MERE LITTLE bit. Fuck man... Is anyone out there able to think for themselves, just a little these days?

Tiger Fitness huh? I'll remember that name...

Yes, there is cows in Sweden, I have seen them with my own eyes while I was driving to Norway.. ;D

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2016, 11:53:08 PM »
yep i read about this too.  lyle mcdonald mentions it in his ketogenic book, but im too lazy to look up the reference
^^
This is a good link...  http://www.livestrong.com/article/499587-the-last-chance-diet/

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 12:58:56 AM »
I stopped using powders years ago when I realised I looked/performed the same without them. The only thing they're good for is convenience; even then you've got to clean out the shakers which never seem to smell normal again even after numerous washes.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 01:02:39 AM »
I'm in Sweden and awhile back a friend ordered a 25kg bag of Proliant Hydrobeef from the US which we split. Now I read on their site that it's made in Sweden. LOL, wtf  :D

Anyway, the fact that collagen/gelatin is disgusting when you think about what it is and how it is made is no real argument against the "effectiveness" of the protein itself.
Just like the fact that whey is historically a waste product is no argument against the usefulness of whey.

Gelatin is a wonderful easily digested and light powder. Yes it's low in EAA's but it may be useful as a part of your diet nonetheless.

The marketing is deceitful for sure, it's not powdered steak as they make it sound like.

And powders ARE real food... what's fake about them?
If whey isn't food then I guess things like cheese/cottage cheese aren't either.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 01:39:19 AM »
^^
This is a good link...  http://www.livestrong.com/article/499587-the-last-chance-diet/

Yes. the big one with collagen based protein was Linn's Last Chance Diet -  http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1984/06/28/page/412/article/very-low-calorie-diets-are-very-high-risk . Fun fact, Linn was both responsible for the wide scale success and later decline of Twinlab in the 70's. Their main product was the protein shake that was similar to what Linn used with his diet, and when the diet came under scrutiny, Twinlab lost tons of sales. A few years later, they'd jump full steam into the bodybuilding market though.

A fun little read on old diets can be found here - http://books.google.com/books?id=uFMRtml5sA4C&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=robert+linn+last+chance+diet+collagen&source=bl&ots=4WFa-Iqw13&sig=jpeXB1bRmkAgOyU5IPwoH4LqtOA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZg7b99PbKAhVMWz4KHYM6AxAQ6AEIPTAE#v=onepage&q=robert%20linn%20last%20chance%20diet%20collagen&f=false .

Start on page 83.

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 04:31:12 AM »
If eating real food 5-6 times a day is a possibility...

Eat when you're hungry, and you don't need huge amounts of protein.

Protein Powder is all bullshit built up over many years so it seems like gospel now to believe you need heaps of food or protein. I can't believe the supplement industry keeps going so well on complete bullshit but it's just one lie after another and people don't know what to believe since everyone's just out to sell their own version of shit.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »

Protein Powder is all bullshit built up over many years so it seems like gospel now to believe you need heaps of food or protein. I can't believe the supplement industry keeps going so well on complete bullshit but it's just one lie after another and people don't know what to believe since everyone's just out to sell their own version of shit.

Words straight out of the mouth of Lee Haney to me when I worked out in his gym in Atlanta years ago.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 06:24:14 AM »

The 5-6 meals a day silliness isn't feasible to anyone with a job or a life. The supp industry knew this and had the answer: eat 3 meals a day and supplement with 3 expensive protein shakes.

That said, the industry deserves a bit of a pass, as it would be illegal for them to to sell the products that would really make a dramatic difference.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 06:42:19 AM »
Somewhere in the cobwebbed recesses of my mind I seem to recall reading that Steve Reeves used sheets of gelatin in some way..?  Maybe in an article in MMI by Vince G (Gironda not the other one)  

Also, in the late 80's/early 90's weren't there products containing 'bovine orchic extract'?  As if eating bull balls had a magic effect on test levels  :D (or at least that was the inference)
T

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2016, 06:49:24 AM »
Somewhere in the cobwebbed recesses of my mind I seem to recall reading that Steve Reeves used sheets of gelatin in some way..?  Maybe in an article in MMI by Vince G (Ironi not the other one)  

Also, in the late 80's/early 90's weren't there products containing 'bovine orchic extract'?  As if eating bull balls had a magic effect on test levels  :D (or at least that was the inference)

IIRC Reeves had some condition or illness which the gelatin helped.

Vince Gironda was big on the ball extracts. He was an idiot with a lot of the things he believed.

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 07:44:04 AM »