Author Topic: flexonline BEWARE  (Read 3468 times)

trebor

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
flexonline BEWARE
« on: March 19, 2006, 07:31:13 AM »
I just tried to access flexonline.com and got a nasty surprise.  When you access the URL it attempts to download spyware from "advertising.com."  When I blocked the download with my spyware detector, I was unable to open the site.  Thanks a lot Flex, you have now joined the ranks of those who are contaminating the WEB with garbage.

trebor

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Re: flexonline BEWARE
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
Well, I guess it is not spyware if you don't mind having programs loaded on your computer without your permission.  I am not familiar with how this specific application works, but you could suddenly find yourself inundated with ads that you have no idea where they came from.  This stuff can be deadly.  I have a friend who did not have spyware on her machine and it became so inundated with this stuff that it completely shut it down.  She is now paying big bucks to have it eliminated.  Anything that is downloaded onto your computer without your knowledge or permission is a potential danger, and it is highly unethical, even if relatively harmless. 

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »
Whatever it is, I'm sure it's unintentional. Flex can barely keep that site updated, let alone run some application........
HAHA, RON.....

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 09:46:01 AM »
Well, I guess it is not spyware if you don't mind having programs loaded on your computer without your permission.  I am not familiar with how this specific application works, but you could suddenly find yourself inundated with ads that you have no idea where they came from.  This stuff can be deadly.  I have a friend who did not have spyware on her machine and it became so inundated with this stuff that it completely shut it down.  She is now paying big bucks to have it eliminated.  Anything that is downloaded onto your computer without your knowledge or permission is a potential danger, and it is highly unethical, even if relatively harmless. 

Check your spyware program as it's throwing up a false positive.
You can check out all the information about the technology used for the keyword advertising here:
http://www.vibrantmedia.com/whatisIntelliTXT.asp?ipid=2564&cc=us&server=americanmedia.us.intellitxt.com#

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 09:50:24 AM »
Whatever it is, I'm sure it's unintentional. Flex can barely keep that site updated, let alone run some application........
  I don't know...they're pretty good at putting up pics from contests...ususally the same day.
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 09:57:18 AM »
it may have been something weird happening.  My PC did the same thing this AM so I gave up and actually went to the gym today and trained.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »
it may have been something weird happening.  My PC did the same thing this AM so I gave up and actually went to the gym today and trained.

Me too. servers were updating.