Author Topic: IQ and religion  (Read 9040 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: IQ and religion
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 05:08:31 PM »
Ok, enough of this troll thread for one night.   :)

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »
Well, when it comes to statistics concerning religion it's really simple: 

whichever studies conclude that religion is negative are correct.
whichever studies conclude that religion is positive are incorrect.

Come on.
Nothing is inherently positive or negative.
Everything has 2 sides to it.
©

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2016, 05:11:19 PM »
Yes, he had a complicated notion of God that was similar to God as found in the philosophy of Spinoza. It had little to do with the God theists believe in.

Here is an excerpt:

“I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist. … I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being,”

I would say that Einstein thought along this line -  The only people that know the truth of it all are dead.  And the dead aren't talking.  

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »
I would say that Einstein thought along this line -  The only people that know the truth of it all are dead.  And the dead aren't talking.  

What do you mean?

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
What do you mean?

All is supposition, even so the educated side of it.  No one except the dead really know what's on "the other side".   

And like pirates always say, dead men tell no tales. 

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
All is supposition, even so the educated side of it.  No one except the dead really know what's on "the other side".  

And like pirates always say, dead men tell no tales.  

Obviously, not what Einstein was saying. What a bullshit, smart-ass quip.

Here's what Einstein has said:

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 05:26:12 PM »
Guess you're too dumb to understand how statistics work (hint: not black/white, but grey)

No, he's correctly summarizing the trove of "studies" designed to show how idiotic religious people are. For some reason, the atheistic feel a compulsion to prove their superiority over religious folks. Personally, I just feel that they are being fucking assholes and probably need an epic beating that I would be proud to deliver. I promise to pray to my "spaghetti monster God" with each haymaker I plant upside their heads.

Here's another study that proves a positive correlation between atheism and being a fucking douchebag: http://gofuckyourself.com

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 05:30:05 PM »
Obviously, not what Einstein was saying. What a bullshit, smart-ass quip.

Here's what Einstein has said:

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."

Case closed regarding Einstein.

What is with you people?  Why do you insist upon trading poorly orchestrated insults?  All is a supposition, including what I said about Einstein, Einstein.

Like I said but  you refuse to accept, none of us will know the truth until we breathe our last.  I suppose that bothers you.  You will say it doesn't, but then you are only human.

"Bullshit, smartass quip".   Okie dokie, smokie!  ;D

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 10:53:26 PM »
No, he's correctly summarizing the trove of "studies" designed to show how idiotic religious people are. For some reason, the atheistic feel a compulsion to prove their superiority over religious folks. Personally, I just feel that they are being fucking assholes and probably need an epic beating that I would be proud to deliver. I promise to pray to my "spaghetti monster God" with each haymaker I plant upside their heads.

Here's another study that proves a positive correlation between atheism and being a fucking douchebag: http://gofuckyourself.com

Haha, touche to the max

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 11:35:36 PM »

up the dose recently?

:D

Alfurinn

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2016, 12:59:19 AM »
I was under the impression most users or at least a considerable number of them were "religious" not because of low assumed IQ but because of all the forms of sexism I find on here that very much correlates with religiosity...

Although bodybuilding and judeo-christian religiosity is an oxymoron too...

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2016, 02:28:20 AM »
Well, when it comes to statistics concerning religion it's really simple: 

whichever studies conclude that religion is negative are correct.
whichever studies conclude that religion is positive are incorrect.

This was a meta-analysis- hence the researchers have done the counting for you and concluded that overall, the negative association is robust and generalizable.

NN

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2016, 02:30:04 AM »
Getbig is a religion.

Which explains a lot I suppose.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2016, 02:34:46 AM »
I was under the impression most users or at least a considerable number of them were "religious" not because of low assumed IQ but because of all the forms of sexism I find on here that very much correlates with religiosity...

Although bodybuilding and judeo-christian religiosity is an oxymoron too...

Well, some atheists hate faggs like you as well and you're quite the hypocrite schmoe with your homoerotic postings on the Random BB pics thread.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2016, 02:35:28 AM »
What is with you people?  Why do you insist upon trading poorly orchestrated insults?  All is a supposition, including what I said about Einstein, Einstein.

Like I said but  you refuse to accept, none of us will know the truth until we breathe our last.  I suppose that bothers you.  You will say it doesn't, but then you are only human.

"Bullshit, smartass quip".   Okie dokie, smokie!  ;D

Your claim may be untrue for reasons you may not have thought about. I recommend that you read Thomas Nagel's "What is it like to be a bat": http://organizations.utep.edu/portals/1475/nagel_bat.pdf

Then consider again. Perhaps if there were some "after-life" existence where some part of what you were in your prior life lived on, but in a different physical form. It would perhaps no longer be the same "you" who could know the answer to the question posed in your previous form of existence. You may infact be unable to represent the question cognitively in the same way your previous biological brain represented it  :).

NN

Sizwe

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2016, 02:37:50 AM »
Here's an incomplete list of famous christian (mostly catholic) scientists.

Honorable mention of Fr. Georges Lemaître founder of the Big Bang and also expansion of the universe theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2016, 02:47:31 AM »
What never ceases to amuse me, are people with genuine metaphysical questions, who look at the universe and ascribe god as a first cause. But when you ask the obvious question:"but who created god?", their answer invariably goes along the lines of: "he is eternal and requires no creator".

In one fell swoop, they neatly square away everything, by sticking their heads back into the sand from whence it came!

Simple Simon

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2016, 02:51:42 AM »
Here's an incomplete list of famous christian (mostly catholic) scientists.

Honorable mention of Fr. Georges Lemaître founder of the Big Bang and also expansion of the universe theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre
talk about cover all bases, if you fuck up at science, just believe in God, you will be fine.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2016, 03:03:08 AM »
What never ceases to amuse me, are people with genuine metaphysical questions, who look at the universe and ascribe god as a first cause. But when you ask the obvious question:"but who created god?", their answer invariably goes along the lines of: "he is eternal and requires no creator".

In one fell swoop, they neatly square away everything, by sticking their heads back into the sand from whence it came!

I personally think that is a terrible question.

There is nothing in the physical world that shows any remote evidence towards a "start" or creation, at all.  That is likely a human concept that will quite possibly eventually have no true place in science.  Everything can be tracked to merely changing form, which can be attributed to general interaction with other bits of "stuff" and the startling implication of "never" an end and the constant flux of interaction indicates that you will absolutely know consciousness again.

There is no evidence of any creation whatsoever.  There is no evidence of the word "nothing" holding true, anywhere.

When you start to contemplate whether our language is in fact leading us to believe in false concepts (ie, creation, nothing etc), things become less paradoxical.

Also, they become highly less scary in terms of this idea that you must grasp to the idea that you will live on, beyond death - because it is 100% true that we know of nothing that is "destroyed" in the act of death, other than the configuration of the components that make you up.

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2016, 03:08:06 AM »
It is a great question to ask of such a terrible solution.

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2016, 03:10:34 AM »

Basically it is very easy...
they create a concept (god) in their mind.
Therefore they are the creator of god (a concept) themselves.
Nevertheless they fail to realize it.

Also "God" is "Dog" backwards which should also give food for thought.

©

Simple Simon

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2016, 03:15:44 AM »
Basically it is very easy...
they create a concept (god) in their mind.
Therefore they are the creator of god (a concept) themselves.
Nevertheless they fail to realize it.

Also "God" is "Dog" backwards which should also give food for thought.

Really?
Why?

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26:52 AM »
Really?
Why?

I don't know.
Maybe someone can solve the puzzle.
©

Simple Simon

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2016, 03:32:06 AM »
I don't know.
Maybe someone can solve the puzzle.

Dog and God are to words derived from Old English, they have no connection to each other at all, they are two words that people made up to describe something.

We call a cat a cat because some people decided that's what we would call it.

I have seen the "God is dog spelt backwards" quote may times, I always ask why they quote it and as yet no one has ever answered properly with a reasoned explanation.

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2016, 03:36:03 AM »
Dog and God are to words derived from Old English, they have no connection to each other at all, they are two words that people made up to describe something.

We call a cat a cat because some people decided that's what we would call it.

I have seen the "God is dog spelt backwards" quote may times, I always ask why they quote it and as yet no one has ever answered properly with a reasoned explanation.

I thought about it for a long time.
If it is by intent, etc...
I couldn't come up with a solution.
©