Author Topic: IQ and religion  (Read 9033 times)

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
IQ and religion
« on: February 14, 2016, 10:06:53 AM »
http://psr.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/08/02/1088868313497266.abstract

Abstract
"A meta-analysis of 63 studies showed a significant negative association between intelligence and religiosity. The association was stronger for college students and the general population than for participants younger than college age; it was also stronger for religious beliefs than religious behavior. For college students and the general population, means of weighted and unweighted correlations between intelligence and the strength of religious beliefs ranged from −.20 to −.25 (mean r = −.24). Three possible interpretations were discussed. First, intelligent people are less likely to conform and, thus, are more likely to resist religious dogma. Second, intelligent people tend to adopt an analytic (as opposed to intuitive) thinking style, which has been shown to undermine religious beliefs. Third, several functions of religiosity, including compensatory control, self-regulation, self-enhancement, and secure attachment, are also conferred by intelligence. Intelligent people may therefore have less need for religious beliefs and practices."

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Re: IQ and religion
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 10:09:38 AM »
53 out of 63 studies is massive evidence.

Here's another one study, probably included in the meta-analysis above.

Religiosity is negatively correlated with intelligence.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
I'd be offended but I'm too stoopid.   ;D

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
I may be wrong but a r of only -0.24 shows a very weak correlation.

Being a social study I'm not expecting a r close to -1 or 1 but -0.25 is still very low.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 10:37:27 AM »

And maybe one day you will sense what that means

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »
Don't forget to look at the stats referring to iq and race.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »
I may be wrong but a r of only -0.24 shows a very weak correlation.

Being a social study I'm not expecting a r close to -1 or 1 but -0.25 is still very low.

-0.24 is very strong correlation in terms of IQ.

An IQ of 120 (very bright) is only 20 points away from an IQ of 100 (average). A difference of 20%. Small in absolute numbers but makes a massive difference in terms of IQ.

Don't forget to look at the stats referring to iq and race.

If I remember rightly, the meta-analysis concerns studies on American Protestants.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »

Just kick that 'god' particle out of your brain

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »

An IQ of 120 (very bright) is only 20 points away from an IQ of 100 (average). A difference of 20%. Small in absolute numbers but makes a massive difference in terms of IQ.

Much like the Richter scale used for rating earthquakes, the increase in IQ is exponential.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 10:50:20 AM »

A minus r shows a negative correlation, but -0.24 doesn't show a strong linear association. It shows correlation, yes, but a weak one.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
A minus r shows a negative correlation, but -0.24 doesn't show a strong linear association. It shows correlation, yes, but a weak one.

Yep, it should be -0.6 or 'less' at least for statistical relevance.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:00:31 AM »

It's higher than 20%. An IQ of 120 is 1.33 standard deviations above the average, therefore around only 9% of the population is expected to have an IQ higher than 120, versus the 50% expected to have a IQ higher than 100.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
IQ and religion = oxymoron

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
Yep, it should be -0.6 or 'less' at least for statistical relevance.

You are thinking of p-values, which should be 0.05 or less. The higher the R value, the stronger the relationship between the dependent variable and the independent variables.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »

You are thinking of p-values, which should be 0.05 or less. The higher the R value, the stronger the relationship between the dependent variable and the independent variables.

Errr no, as the OP writes: "significant negative association between intelligence and religiosity"

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »
Errr no, as the OP writes: "significant negative association between intelligence and religiosity"

Err yes, low p-values mean there is a statistically significant relationship between two variables. That relationship can be positive or negative. The R-squared value explains the strength of the relationship between the independent and dependent variables explained by the model. Again, that relationship can be positive or negative.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »

He's right, social studies rarely get a r higher than 0.6-0.7. In this case, since there's a negative correlation, r should be at least -0.6 or less, e.g. -0.7 to be considered a strong negative correlation.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »

Err yes, low p-values mean there is a statistically significant relationship between two variables. That relationship can be positive or negative. R values explain the strength of the relationship between the independent and dependent variables explained by the model. Again, that relationship can be positive or negative.

Since I'm no rocket scientist, thank you for explaining this, BUT.. isn't a 'negative association' the same as a 'negative correlation', like -for example' correl({1,2,3},{3,2,1]) = -1 ?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »

If I remember rightly, the meta-analysis concerns studies on American Protestants.

I find it amusing that your post is meant to "prove" religious folks are less intelligent (and therefore "prove" your enlightened brilliance) and you cannot even interpret the statistical results correctly. Fail.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 01:07:50 PM »
I find it amusing that your post is meant to "prove" religious folks are less intelligent (and therefore "prove" your enlightened brilliance) and you cannot even interpret the statistical results correctly. Fail.

My interpretation is sound. A small difference in IQ points, which is part of the correlation, is significant in IQ terms. The r amount seems negligible but probably respectable for a social study.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »
©

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »
Religion and racism and low IQ go hand in hand

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
Religion and racism and low IQ go hand in hand

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
And maybe one day you will sense what that means

It means, that I have a sense of humor and that I am not a S.N.A.G. like so many here.  In truth, you may well be in their numbers.

No "smilie" here, kid.  Nah...I still have a sense of humor. ;D  In fact here:

S.N.A.G. --Sensitive New Age Guy.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
Just kick that 'god' particle out of your brain

By now you should know that particular item is kept within the heart, not the brain. I am who I am.