Author Topic: Calling Moves  (Read 1947 times)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Calling Moves
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Do the athletes call moves to each other during a match?
T

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Calling Moves
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:56:46 AM »
All the time.

Sometimes, the modern mics they use will actually pick up what is being said.
But, it's very easy to spot when one guy leans in towards the other to close the sound gap and cover his mouth.

They use nonverbal cues, too - for instance, a subtle squeezing of the wrist to signal a wrist lock reversal, etc.

You get the idea.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:26:42 AM »
That was one of the reasons wrestlers had long hair back in the day, to cover their mouths..

Cena is notorious for being loud when calling out spots..

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:55:12 AM »
Flair and Steamboat Gelled really well at calling their spots on the fly. A lot of other guys will pre-plan most of their matches. They are constantly talking to eachother in the ring. You can catch it if you look carefully.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »
Flair and Steamboat Gelled really well at calling their spots on the fly. A lot of other guys will pre-plan most of their matches. They are constantly talking to eachother in the ring. You can catch it if you look carefully.
Some are easier to catch than others. Never noticed this until recently.
T

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
i was watching a late 80's scott steiner vs flair match and scott leaned in and turned head fast as he called the next sequence..i was bored few nights ago and watched some old matches flair vs luger and steiner/flair great action lots of power moved by lex/steiner,flair would take clothsline after clothesline,huge slams from luger and steiner suplexes,,well into 30 minutes and up in the matches..great times then...there builds were great too ..

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
i was watching a late 80's scott steiner vs flair match and scott leaned in and turned head fast as he called the next sequence..i was bored few nights ago and watched some old matches flair vs luger and steiner/flair great action lots of power moved by lex/steiner,flair would take clothsline after clothesline,huge slams from luger and steiner suplexes,,well into 30 minutes and up in the matches..great times then...there builds were great too ..
If you watched recently Chris Jericho got busted talking to A.J.Styles also...stupid camera man was in the wrong place at the wrong time and on Raw too.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Cena's always been the worst for me, I've heard him on Raw's, PPV's, everything.  He never seems to make any effort to hide it either.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
i will never forget watching Bubba Ray Dudley yelling 'reversal!' at the top of his lungs during an episode of RAW back in the day lol.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 01:37:32 AM »

I think part of it, too, was that so much of what they did was "automatic."
For instance, if you put a wrist-lock on Steamboat, you knew he would go into a reversal, etc.

I forget how many matches they estimate to have had together, but knowing each other professionally as well as they did, I suspect that they didn't have to call very much in their later matches.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:36 AM »

I think part of it, too, was that so much of what they did was "automatic."
For instance, if you put a wrist-lock on Steamboat, you knew he would go into a reversal, etc.

I forget how many matches they estimate to have had together, but knowing each other professionally as well as they did, I suspect that they didn't have to call very much in their later matches.
I believe literally almost a 1000. They've been wrestling since the late seventies in the NWA on and off. According to Steamboat anyways.