Author Topic: Apple's CEO Cook: Judge's Order 'Chilling Attack' on Civil Liberties  (Read 3226 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
What do you think?

Apple's CEO Cook: Judge's Order 'Chilling Attack' on Civil Liberties

Image: Apple's CEO Cook: Judge's Order 'Chilling Attack' on Civil Liberties 
Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016

Apple Inc. rejected a court order to help U.S. investigators unlock an iPhone used by one of the shooters in a terrorist attack in California, accusing the U.S. government of “overreach” that will set a dangerous precedent.

In a letter published on Apple’s website, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook said the Federal Bureau of Investigation was seeking a new version of Apple’s operating system that would circumvent security features and give law enforcement access to private data. Cook framed the demand as a “chilling attack” on civil liberties and warned that ultimately the government could “demand that Apple build surveillance software to intercept your messages, access your health records or financial data, track your location, or even access your phone’s microphone or camera without your knowledge.”

Apple’s forceful reaction to the court order dramatically escalates the battle between the tech industry and the government over encrypted data. Law enforcement authorities say they need a backdoor into private information to track terrorists like the duo who killed 14 people in San Bernardino in December; companies like Apple and Google say such a move would violate pledges to keep their customers’ data safe and hurt their businesses.

‘Open It’

Apple’s opposition is already being turned into an issue on the presidential campaign trail, with Donald Trump telling Fox and Friends that he agrees “100 percent with the courts” and saying of Apple “Who do they think they are? They have to open it up.”

Federal investigators haven’t been able to unlock the iPhone used by Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, who carried out the Dec. 2 shooting, the government said in a filing in federal court in Riverside, California. U.S. Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym on Tuesday ordered Apple to provide “reasonable technical assistance” to the FBI to recover information from the phone.

“While we believe the FBI’s intentions are good, it would be wrong for the government to force us to build a backdoor into our products,” Cook wrote. “Ultimately, we fear that this demand would undermine the very freedoms and liberty our government is meant to protect.”

Five Days

Pym gave Apple five business days to file court papers opposing the order. The loser -- whether Apple or the Justice Department -- could then appeal to a district court judge in the same courthouse, and next to the U.S. Court of Appeals in San Francisco and ultimately the Supreme Court.

The growing use of encryption is “overwhelmingly affecting law enforcement” when companies don’t cooperate or sell equipment that can’t be penetrated by investigators, FBI Director James Comey told the Senate intelligence committee in a Feb. 9 hearing.

“It is a big problem for law enforcement armed with a search warrant when you find a device that can’t be opened, even though the judge said there’s probable cause to open it,” Comey said.

The case is significant because it shows a side of the encryption debate that is seldom discussed. Despite complaints from law enforcement and intelligence officials that encryption makes certain data off limits, agencies have workarounds for some of the most important cases.

Farook was using an iPhone 5c owned by the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health with an iOS 9 operating system. Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, 29, were killed in a gun battle with police after the attack on his co-workers.

‘Master Key’

The Justice Department wants Apple to provide customized software that will prevent the data on the phone from being deleted after 10 attempts to input the passcode. The software also must enable agents to send electronic passcodes to the phone, rather than manually typing them in, according to the application.

The software would allow agents to automatically enter multiple passcodes to get around the encryption standards. Cook likened the federal order to creating a “master key” that could be used to unlock any number of other iPhones in use around the globe.

“What’s being asked is a tool that only does this specific thing,” said Bruce Schneir, who writes about computer security. “It’s not fair. They can’t build a specific tool. Once you build this universal key, suddenly we’re all at risk.”

Apple said it has provided help in the San Bernardino case, including providing data in its possession and offering ideas to investigators.

Apple’s Control

Apple has the ability to modify software that is created to only function within the subject device, prosecutors said in the application for the order. Apple controls the hardware and software that is used to turn on and run its phone, they said.

Los Angeles U.S. Attorney Eileen Decker said federal investigators have “worked tirelessly to exhaust every investigative lead” related to the terrorist attack.

“The application filed today in federal court is another step -- a potentially important step -- in the process of learning everything we possibly can about the attack in San Bernardino,” Decker said in a statement.

The case is: In the matter of the search of an Apple iPhone seized during the execution of a search warrant on a black Lexus IS300, 15-00451, U.S. District Court, Central District of California.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/tim-cook-terrorist-phones/2016/02/17/id/714766/#ixzz40SBhA4SR

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: Apple's CEO Cook: Judge's Order 'Chilling Attack' on Civil Liberties
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »
Exactly what does Apple claim to be concerned about, again?  Isn't it true that they use back-doors (an appropriate term for Apple and its users, I'm sure) to go right into outside storage for potential examination?

It's like when Google pretends through the press that they're "against" intrusion, when their practices say otherwise.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 12:32:47 PM »
i'm all for finding out who these 2 idiots were talking to.

BUT

does that mean obama now has the ability to open up ALL iphones?   History show us, once you give the govt the power to do it ONCE, they do it REPEATEDLY.

Suppose the terrorists mentioned CNN once in their text messages.  Will Obama be using his "power" to read the iphones of his 2016 GOP opponent because they appeared on CNN and he just invents some relationship there?   Not too hard to six-degree anything.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »
I can only say that it seems to be fake posturing for the purpose of opinion-making.  The decision has been in for quite a number of years, now, and it precedes the individual developments in technology, and has done so for a good while.  That is the reality.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
i'm all for finding out who these 2 idiots were talking to.

BUT

does that mean obama now has the ability to open up ALL iphones?   History show us, once you give the govt the power to do it ONCE, they do it REPEATEDLY.

Suppose the terrorists mentioned CNN once in their text messages.  Will Obama be using his "power" to read the iphones of his 2016 GOP opponent because they appeared on CNN and he just invents some relationship there?   Not too hard to six-degree anything.

Yes.

That is the point.

They want to place a code on ALL iPhones that will allow the computer to produce random numbers itself until it unlocks your phone with your code.

This is terrible.

What about when the bad guys get it (and they WILL get it) then what?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
Yes.

That is the point.

They want to place a code on ALL iPhones that will allow the computer to produce random numbers itself until it unlocks your phone with your code.

This is terrible.

What about when the bad guys get it (and they WILL get it) then what?

Tu, you understand tech better than most here (including me).

This certainly isn't the first time LE has been in possession of a phone that they wanted to remove information from.  What's so unusual about this case, besides the crime itself?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
I'm ok with this if they are only targeting one phone.  I don't support them being forced to create software that targets all phones. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
Should it be treated like a search warrant?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 01:28:22 PM »

There's something more to this story that isn't clear, yes.  Something doesn't make sense.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 01:30:37 PM »
Tu, you understand tech better than most here (including me).

This certainly isn't the first time LE has been in possession of a phone that they wanted to remove information from.  What's so unusual about this case, besides the crime itself?

Well, the issue is what people can or can't do to a phone and the law.

For instance. Legally speaking, if you have a code on your phone. The police can not force you to open it. It is not legal for them to get YOU to do so. It's then considered an illegal search.

Now, in this instance, the people are dead. Seems easy enough right. Well, in the past, the law enforcement community has actually used jailbreak utilities to open and hack into phones.

Currently, there is no known jailbreak for an iPhone running the most recent iOS updates (anything past 9.1) and currently there is no jailbreak for that. Also, even if there is a jailbreak, they often require you to not have a code or disable it before you install it in the first place.

Most phones are extremely secure. In this instance, if they continue to punch in the wrong numbers, it very well may wipe the phone, so what the FBI wants, is a special Law Enforcement code that will enable them to force the phone (and any phone) to open.

This is completely unacceptable. A backdoor will mean that all iPhones are susceptible to this. Some senators are saying that they want apple to give them something to just open this one phone, but that can't possibly exist.

If you can open one, you can open them all.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 01:39:44 PM »
Well, the issue is what people can or can't do to a phone and the law.

For instance. Legally speaking, if you have a code on your phone. The police can not force you to open it. It is not legal for them to get YOU to do so. It's then considered an illegal search.

Now, in this instance, the people are dead. Seems easy enough right. Well, in the past, the law enforcement community has actually used jailbreak utilities to open and hack into phones.

Currently, there is no known jailbreak for an iPhone running the most recent iOS updates (anything past 9.1) and currently there is no jailbreak for that. Also, even if there is a jailbreak, they often require you to not have a code or disable it before you install it in the first place.

Most phones are extremely secure. In this instance, if they continue to punch in the wrong numbers, it very well may wipe the phone, so what the FBI wants, is a special Law Enforcement code that will enable them to force the phone (and any phone) to open.

This is completely unacceptable. A backdoor will mean that all iPhones are susceptible to this. Some senators are saying that they want apple to give them something to just open this one phone, but that can't possibly exist.

If you can open one, you can open them all.

Does this mean they're looking for something that has stayed local to the phone?  Or is that what you'd say, based upon what you know?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
There's something more to this story that isn't clear, yes.  Something doesn't make sense.

What is it?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
What is it?

I'd love to know.  Because other than the crime itself, it fits right into what we'd expect to see when it comes to LE and phones.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
Does this mean they're looking for something that has stayed local to the phone?  Or is that what you'd say, based upon what you know?

Well, let's look at it this way.

If they (The FBI) are stating that Apple must have a way to break into any phone, then that means the backdoor already exists.

Here's the problem with that premise. If Apple opens that phone, that means they can open ANY iPhone. If that is true, then Apple can not guarantee the privacy of any of their phone users. Now do you think that's something Apple would want to say?

If they are stating that they want the phone to be enabled with a backdoor, then that means it would be something that has to be put in AFTER.

So, that means that Apple must have a mechanism to insert new code onto a phone without anyones ability to stop it. This refers us back to premise number 1 in stating that a back door must already exist.

If the backdoor in fact does NOT exist, then what they are saying is that Apple must release a new OS with the ability to IN THE FUTURE, allow people to input this code and have the phone automatically unlock for people.

The government is saying they would NEVER EEEEEVER use this on a regular basis.

Do you believe that?

Personally, I'm of the mindset that such a backdoor does NOT CURRENTLY exist, but certainly could be added, but that means that if I get the magic code (and the magic code will always get released somehow) that if I steal your phone, I've got your life.

This is an operating system that allows you to pay for things straight from credit cards and bank accounts.

If you get a magic code, there is no longer any security at all.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »
Well, let's look at it this way.

If they (The FBI) are stating that Apple must have a way to break into any phone, then that means the backdoor already exists.

Here's the problem with that premise. If Apple opens that phone, that means they can open ANY iPhone. If that is true, then Apple can not guarantee the privacy of any of their phone users. Now do you think that's something Apple would want to say?

If they are stating that they want the phone to be enabled with a backdoor, then that means it would be something that has to be put in AFTER.

So, that means that Apple must have a mechanism to insert new code onto a phone without anyones ability to stop it. This refers us back to premise number 1 in stating that a back door must already exist.

If the backdoor in fact does NOT exist, then what they are saying is that Apple must release a new OS with the ability to IN THE FUTURE, allow people to input this code and have the phone automatically unlock for people.

The government is saying they would NEVER EEEEEVER use this on a regular basis.

Do you believe that?

Personally, I'm of the mindset that such a backdoor does NOT CURRENTLY exist, but certainly could be added, but that means that if I get the magic code (and the magic code will always get released somehow) that if I steal your phone, I've got your life.

This is an operating system that allows you to pay for things straight from credit cards and bank accounts.

If you get a magic code, there is no longer any security at all.

LMFAO.  Oh, my.

I'm seeing this in a different way, now, for sure.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »
These things must have been considered before any of this ever happened, though, and without question.  Actually planned upon, surely.  What else could make sense to think, but that?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »

That's the way I'd look at it.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
These things must have been considered before any of this ever happened, though, and without question.  Actually planned upon, surely.  What else could make sense to think, but that?

^ and I mean any eventuality of it, with any situation where LE would seem to have valid and urgent reason.

Did it really slip everyone's minds before now?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
^ and I mean any eventuality of it, with any situation where LE would seem to have valid and urgent reason.

Did it really slip everyone's minds before now?

I don't think so.

I think simply put that people's privacy has always taken precedent when it comes to security. While you can request a search warrant, search warrants do not always provide anything.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you find stuff. In this instance, they are unable to break into the phone and so whatever is there, is without of their reach.

Wouldn't be any different than passing a note and burning it to ash.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »
Personally, I'm of the mindset that such a backdoor does NOT CURRENTLY exist

Tu, what causes you to feel this way?  Is it that you think Apple would fear that they could lose control over it, somehow?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »
Tu, what causes you to feel this way?  Is it that you think Apple would fear that they could lose control over it, somehow?

Typically yes. I work in the software development industry and I can tell you we  take security extremely importantly.

We do not put backdoors into our software specifically because we know that if one person gets it, everyone gets it. There is no secrecy when it comes to tech.
If a vulnerability is found, we try to secure it with a patch as quickly as possible. We don't want to be able to get in.

Also, you have to remember, any backdoor can potentially harm Apple's bottom line. Jailbreakers already cause them headaches and that requires the phone already be available (not passcode locked) to just inject something.

If there was a way to do it without any intervention... Holy hell it would cause security nightmares. People would be injecting bad code all of the time.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
Typically yes. I work in the software development industry and I can tell you we  take security extremely importantly.

We do not put backdoors into our software specifically because we know that if one person gets it, everyone gets it. There is no secrecy when it comes to tech.
If a vulnerability is found, we try to secure it with a patch as quickly as possible. We don't want to be able to get in.

Also, you have to remember, any backdoor can potentially harm Apple's bottom line. Jailbreakers already cause them headaches and that requires the phone already be available (not passcode locked) to just inject something.

If there was a way to do it without any intervention... Holy hell it would cause security nightmares. People would be injecting bad code all of the time.

But isn't software as a whole, littered with backdoors?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
But isn't software as a whole, littered with backdoors?

Not purposefully. Most of the time you find them and use them in bad ways (or sometimes good ways).

Certainly most software has vulnerabilities, but finding them is an entirely different proposition.

I go back to jailbreaking phones (as it's very topical to this discussion). The last jailbreak was available for 9.1 That's 3 or 4 updates ago now. The reason why is because the vulnerabilities that allowed the jailbreak were patched and now those holes are closed. This means you have to find all new holes to patch.

Also, the open source movement has really changed the security landscape. No longer are you waiting for some companies engineering team to fix something. You have 100s of thousands of developers able to work on a vulnerability and fix it.

While Apple and Google use engineers for their OS, the underlying kernels and many of the software packages they use to secure the phones are standard application sets that are constantly being updated for security reasons and vulnerabilities fixed.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »
That's the way I'd look at it.

It would be meaningless, though, or at least without effect.  That's the story, and they're sticking to it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 04:10:20 PM »
It would be meaningless, though, or at least without effect.  That's the story, and they're sticking to it.

Why wold it be meaningless?