Author Topic: Why the Charlotte Pro was canceled, the article  (Read 10439 times)

jwb

• Getbig V
Re: Why the Charlotte Pro was canceled, the article
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 11:17:51 PM »
Both Keith and Mike would get crushed on The Apprentice. Both of these events sounded like the Apprentice Finals where the producers make sure a bunch of shit goes wrong just to see how the competitors react. Both stories are filled with fcukups -- with Mike it sounds like most of it was due to getting steamrolled by the CCC, which was a probably a by-product of not having all the details in writing. Some of the other stuff, like the Madden deal could also have been locked up with contracts to at least make them hold up their end of the bargain. Some of the other stuff like the lack of help by the NPC is just indicative of how people want to see entrepreneurs fail. With Keith, it sounds like he made some classic Apprentice mistakes -- counting on military personnel to show up on Memorial Day weekend (that would get you fired on Episode One), counting on a non-paid, non-employee (civil servants are the WORST) to help you promote the event, and having jui-jitsu tournament without inviting BJ Penn.

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

Special "Homer" Ed

I think both mike and keith aimed a bit too high right off the bat hoping huge crowds would come to their events and hence spent a lot more money than they perhaps should have.

Even the arnold classic took 30 years to build up to where it is now (from when it was the mr world and mr international back in the 70's).

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 07:20:20 AM »
Both Keith and Mike would get crushed on The Apprentice

I thought about going on that show, but I don't want a pay cut.  :)  I have my hands in other things than just this industry.  I don't have my faith in the future of this industry.  I feel government regulation is coming hard and heavy over the next 2 years. 

Oh well. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 07:34:30 AM »
I thought about going on that show, but I don't want a pay cut.  :)  I have my hands in other things than just this industry.  I don't have my faith in the future of this industry.  I feel government regulation is coming hard and heavy over the next 2 years. 

Oh well. 

You got that right.  I love this industry but I am shifting some eggs as well.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 07:41:39 AM »
Mike and Keith,

You guys deserve credit for trying to do something big. Most people never try. Fight the good fight.

Special "Rick Emmett" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

CAPTAIN MARVEL

• Getbig II
  • The World's Mightiest Mortal
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »
I am going to disagree with you Special Ed, on Mike not being a good businessman. If you have ever ordered from his website, you will notice that they have great prices, fast shipping, and great customer service (even though they have been stingy with the samples lately). Dude is also a self-made millionaire who hasn't hit 30 yet. Very impressive.
SHAZAM!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »
Actually my whole concept was great.  Everyone who actually went had a great time.  Not many NPC shows get the national attention we had before and after the show.  Our bikini contest was featured in some magazine having to do with pagents.  I can't remember the name but they did a really nice story on the show.  Pics from the show were in numerous other magazines.  The biggest problem I had was help.  I basically did 100% of the planning myself.  I did every thing that had to do with doing everything.  Pam Betz wanted to help but wanted $10,000 plus expenses. I had lots of sponsors, lots of competitors.  My gymnastics event was awesome.  The problemwas the parents who demanded to come into the show without paying.  I had one lady who stayed in the expo for 3 hours.  She came out and wanted her $10 back.  I said you were in there for 3 hours you said.  She said yea but what I was looking for wasn't here and you advertised $1 million in exotic cars and no way is there a million dollars in cars there.  Well my friend John Browning who is part of the Browning firearms family is the one who gave me the cars and was standing there when she said that got a little pissed.  He had his Ferrari F40 there which was $300,000 by itself and a few other fancy exotic siad she was full of shit.  SO then she said "I know the mayor and I'm going to tell him how your sho is ripping people off."  So I said good call him and tell him Keith Jones did it and see what he says. I laughed so hard cause I play the mayor in racquetball a couple times a week and he is my friend.  Anyway, the show was great and would have been even better if I had the help. As for the ticket takers.  The convention center requires that company to do it. I mean I carpeted the entire floor of the expo about 30,000 sq ft.  The room was close to 100,000 sq. ft. ft. with the other space filled with grandstands (not seats) for the jiu jitsu, grand stands for the powerlifting, 5 stages a big sports card show.  An entire area for the gymnastic events.  Was a bummer.  Plus upstairs I has a movie theater playing movies.  I feel bad for all the sponsor that came from the mainland.  They spent allot fo money.  VPX like I said was great.  SO was GLC and the other mainland companies that came.  The whole 3 day show cost about $190,000 we brought in about $90,000 in sponsor money.  Tickets sales (what we got) was around $30,000 total.  We lost around $60,000 or so.   

And I always do things in a big way.  I like taking a risk.  I have done where it has paid off greatly and lost some.  But I figure if you don't take a chance that you'll never know.  All I know it was fun