Author Topic: Why the Charlotte Pro was canceled, the article  (Read 10427 times)

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Why the Charlotte Pro was canceled, the article
« on: March 19, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
http://www.thebullmagazine.com/bull21new/Mike.htm

Where is the 2006 Charlotte Pro?

I've been asked, numerous times over email, "Why no 2006 Charlotte Pro?". A lot of rumors have gone around, I'll now give a full account has to what has happened.

Towards the end of 2004 I spoke with Tres Bennet. He heads up the NPC within SC. Through mutual friends we were able to hook up and discuss putting a top level pro show in Charlotte, NC. Pro-Hormones were coming to an end and I knew we would have some excess cash to reinvest into a new project. I thought, hell I can do a pro show, it can't be that hard. The planning process began and by the end of January 05, we were ready to go. The story that will follow is quite amazing. It will give you true insight into how difficult simple things can be.

Our first goal was to choose a location. After multiple trips to charlotte, NC we decided the Charlotte Convention Center (referred to from now on as CCC) offered us the most flexibility for our needs. During my initial meetings with them, I was told it would not be an issue to rent as much/little space as I needed. I spoke with every official including Curtis, a man who I would later want to throw off a building. The CCC had 280k sq/ft available for rent. I hired 2 people, Kevin Waggoner and Meredith Parker to help organize this event. Seth Meredith, my assistant was also brought in to help oversee the matter. My original plan involved a massive sports weekend. Our original plans included a national championship arm wrestling match, national level dodgeball tournament, strongest man contest, toughman contest, Budweiser jujitsu and the bb'ing/fitness/figure weekend. During the first 3 months of our planning we had been given the green light for renting all of the space within the CCC. During this time, leading up till March, we were in negotiation with the various organizations mentioned. We had signed two of them to a contract, Bud Jujitsu and Dodgeball. The Show of Strength in Atlanta had just been canceled and we were going right into negotiations with the strong man events. For our plans, we needed the entire 280k sq/ft the CCC offered.

It came time to put everything into contract that had been discussed. We had locked up the initial 80k sq/ft back in January. When potential tenants backed out of the other space, we were given the green light to take it all. I drove down to charlotte for our big contract signing that would finalize our financial obligation to the CCC. I met Ted (He will now be referred to as Mr. Prick) the actual head of the CCC. We showed him our plans which we had worked on every day for 2 months. It was then he dropped a sentence which I'll never forget: "You don't have approval to use all this square footage, why are you making all these plans?" I had enough anger in me that I could have easily thrown my chair through his face. I kept my composure as I'm not one to ever raise my voice. I calmly explained that we had been told by Curtis, the man that really runs the place, that there was NO issue at anytime with our needs. Especially given the fact it is prepaid and I was bringing a check to pay that day. Mr. Prick goes on to explain that I'm only allowed 80sk/ft and no more will be given because I'm a first time event. I explained that I had spent an enormous amount of money in employees and time planning this event. His response being that I should have rented the space first. I explained to this simpleton that given the fact I had spent 30k dollars preparing the plans before him and he is telling me no, what are the odds he'd rent the space to me with NO plans. He was unwilling to concede the building; I ended up with 180k sq/ft.

Now for our first big problem. With our space being cut, we only had space for 2 events outside of the bb'ing/fitness/figure. We had two events the dodgeball and jujitsu. These were our last 2 options from the 4 we had planned on running. We were now stuck, due to having signed contracts, to run our worst two revenue generating events. There was nothing we could do, but attempt to make the best of a bad situation. The dodgeball tournament had the most upswings. From research, if you held a large payout tournament, you could draw a lot of teams and at least recover your investment. We laid out a 30k dollar total prize purse for this tournament. I could turn this debacle into its own story, but suffice it to say that organization we went through stole our entrants, did their own tournament a week before ours and gave us no entrants. We hired them and paid them to bring in teams on our behalf. They never did such a thing. Having no assets or money, there was nothing to sue for. Due to that, we had to cut our purse way back and only had 6 teams show up. It was a total 100% failure.

The jujitsu was fairly successful, except for one thing. The person putting it on let everyone in for free; there went our admission fee's. It's hard to make any money when you aren't charging people. I gave the organization the space for free. In return, they constantly asked for more. We ended up providing tons of pipe/drape and tons of audio video. Sadly, at the end of the weekend, we weren't compensated in any fashion for this event. Live and learn.

Now came the bodybuilding aspect. I had envisioned what a bodybuilding show on a pro level should be. At that time, I didn't think it was right for these shows to be held in high school auditoriums, with crappy lighting and no room for the athletes to actually get ready. I still feel that way to this day. We had an 8k sq/ft pump up and dressing room area. Every person was given their own dressing room with mirrors, electrical outlets and any other items they may need. The fitness ladies had a padded area in which to practice any moves. Our stage was 64' in width, one of the largest ever used. A show two weeks previous to ours used too small of a stage and it was very problematic. There wasn't enough room for all the athletes at one time. Due to that, the athletes were lined up on the edge of the stage. With the lights shinning directly on them, one bodybuilder got sick and ended up yacking on stage. No doubt from the extreme heat from a light sitting 2' over his head shinning right on him for over an hour. Having seen this personally, I wanted to make sure the same didn't happen.

For our audio visual, we spent over 70k dollars. We had one of the best stages, the best lighting and the best video ever done at a pro show. Sadly, I don't know how to do something half-ass. With everyone rumoring that I would be unable to pull this off, I was determined to show the world what a REAL show should be like. We had 3 cameras that would film the show. Afterwards a DVD would be made to showcase the show. We just got the finished DVD’s the week of the Arnold.

Advertising. I believed that if advertised, a pro show would be able to draw a large crowd. Tons of people go to Columbus and Vegas each year, why not Charlotte, NC?? I put on one of the most aggressive advertising campaigns seen. We put full page ads every month in Men’s Fitness, Flex and Muscle & Fitness. We did a direct mail piece to over 60k bb'ing enthusiast (sp?) within a 700 mile radius of the event. We put flyers in almost every package that went out of our warehouse. We spent over 40,000 dollars in local/regional advertising. We even had Hooters debuting their 2006 calendar at our event. Every Hooters within a 50 mile radius advertised this fact. The week of the show I spent the majority of my time on every major local radio stations doing interviews about our show. The largest sports distributor in the country was dropping huge posters we had given them into outbound orders. This meant every store and gym on the east coast was hit with our posters.

While all of this was being planned, we were submitting drawings to the CCC for approval. Making sure nothing violated any codes to ensure we'd have no problems come show time. We submitted over 35 drawings which had been approved, then told they weren't approved a week later. It seems the CCC doesn't know its own rules. They began making up things that made no sense. We spent countless hours explaining their own rules to them. I've never dealt with such a large group of idiots. We wasted over 100 man hours doing their job. Come the week of the show, it turns out the CCC never submitted any of the drawings to the fire marshal. We now had to rearrange everything at the last second. On top of that, re-explaining the things the CCC was too stupid to convey.

Now comes the week of the show. We are pretty happy with ourselves as it seems everything is going to come together nicely. Then the shit just started hitting the fan. Europa Sports was a nice sponsor of our event. They were bringing a 20' box truck to the event. It contained all the items they needed for setup. Upon arrival they were told they couldn't bring the truck inside. I happen to be there when this happened and totally lost my cool. I belittled the ignorant moron that was attempting to explain to me that this truck violated fire code. Realize, this was the same person that gave approval to this truck being there 72 hours previous. She eventually told me that Curtis said they couldn't bring it in. I explained that unless they wanted me to drive our semi through the side of the building, I suggest Curtis come tell me directly to my face why that truck can't be in here. He came down and attempted to explain to me why it couldn't be there. When I explained to him how stupid his reasoning was, he finally said OK and let the truck in. Every aspect of the show was like this. If the CCC was involved it was a pain in the ass, regardless of what it was. Nothing a single thing was done smoothly, nothing. I had never seen a center work so hard to work AGAINST a paying customer.

We had the athletes meeting on Thursday night. Everything went amazing. I was able to talk and explain to the athletes everything we had done for them. The majority were very appreciative of what we had done, especially the women. The women were the most appreciative by far. They were all taken down that night to see the venue spot and most were taken away. It was a very impressive visual upon walking in. To hear the initial thanks and compliments really made us feel great. With all of the work we had put in, at least someone was going to enjoy it. Come Friday night, our turnout was very low - much lower than we expected. We knew Saturday night for the men’s show would be the big deal, but we had hopes Friday would still be OK. During the athletes meeting I announced that we'd have a live free webcast of the show, something that had never been done. We didn't make a big announcement about it at first, we weren't sure we'd be able to do it. Especially since the CCC was involved. It was really cool as a lot of the ladies were from overseas and their families were able to watch them compete.

Saturday comes around and once again, our turnout is way lower than expected. Rather than harp on the negative, I tried to remain positive. The ladies all came up on Saturday and thanked us for doing a show "right". I loved it. At the start of the finals on Saturday night, we had over 1700 people getting ready to watch the show on the net, I never expected that. Given I had only posted 3 days prior on the internet that we would be doing a webcast. The night show goes on with little problem. The athletes are paid as soon as they leave the stage, something not commonly done. My crew and I are totally wiped out and decide to come back early in the morning to pack up our items and get out of dodge. I had rented a condo near the CCC as a home office during this time. After eating with some friends, I called it a night. I had not cut my computer on for literally 3 days. When I signed on, I had an enormous amount of emails. Over 150 emails asked why I had canceled the Charlotte Pro. Obviously, I was quite confused as to what had happened. As it turns out the CCC told ticketmaster that my event was canceled. We had actually canceled the Friday night dodgeball event, that was it. They told ticketmaster the entire event was canceled. When people went online to check the status of our show, it said tickets were not available and it had been canceled. For people to get my email address they had to research who put on the Charlotte Pro, then navigate our website to hunt down my email. This told me that obviously there were a lot more people who had not shown up, but didn't know who to complain to. To say I was upset/angry/pissed would be the largest understatement of mankind.

The next day, CCC denied any wrong doing. The entire process had been so mentally and physically exhausting, I just let it go. I was happy to move on and try to forget about the entire episode. I knew we had spent a lot of money on the show. I had brought in an accountant during the summer to work full time in house. He is married to Jen Hendershot, the top ranked fitness pro in the world. Brian is excellent at his job. About 2 weeks after the show, I asked Brian how much we had spent on the show. Sometimes, having a good accountant isn't a good thing. I had gone into the Charlotte Pro expecting to lose around 100,000 dollars. I knew it was a first year show and that it would take time to build. That is why I wanted everything done first class; I had fully planned on doing a 2nd year. The final numbers had us losing over 340,000 dollars. As you can imagine, this astronomical number set us back quite a bit. Just 3 weeks after the show, we had the Mr. Olympia, which we were Co-Title sponsor of with MuscleTech. The outlay of cash the last 6 months of the year was almost too much for us. Due to that, when it came time to signup for 2006, I simply couldn't do it. My staff had been mentally and physically exhausted from doing it. Having to deal with the CCC was just too much. Had the CCC been willing to work WITH us instead of against us, I might have been more willing to at least do something.

In closing, I wouldn't change anything about what happened. Yes, I lost my ass. However, against all the odds my staff, in particular Kevin Waggoner stepped up and we put on a phenomenal show. Other shows took notes and implemented some of the things we did. This show proved to me that no matter what, if we put our minds to something, we could accomplish it. None of my staff had ever put on anything even remotely close to this. To have almost a flawless show once it got started, quite amazing. Now you all know the truth as to what happened to the 2006 Charlotte Pro.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Why the Charlotte Pro was canceled, the article
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:07:30 PM »
Mike, you are the man.

I tell ya, if I was hiring, I'd want someone that did things the right way and has taken a few hits.  You're tougher from the experience.  And the next time you do a show, I'm sure it'll be just as classy for fans and athletes, and will not run into the same problems.

Plus, you could always call me up and have me come up and give you a hand.  I'd have MSNBC covering the event and sponsors begging to give you their money. :) 

- Rob Z, MBA and all-around sales/promotional guru.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »
So you're saying you lost more money than Chick makes in a year?

Special "Chicklet" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:35:38 PM »
Mike, you are the man.

I tell ya, if I was hiring, I'd want someone that did things the right way and has taken a few hits.  You're tougher from the experience.  And the next time you do a show, I'm sure it'll be just as classy for fans and athletes, and will not run into the same problems.

Plus, you could always call me up and have me come up and give you a hand.  I'd have MSNBC covering the event and sponsors begging to give you their money. :) 

- Rob Z, MBA and all-around sales/promotional guru.
  guru    LOL

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 09:18:49 PM »
Are you the Owner of Bulk Nutrition? I bought some Pirecetam and it did not help me focus..Just gave me nightmares! >:(

BTW your Steroid article is very misinformative.
1.That person using should of done a PCT not "gradually decreased dose" there is no evidence gradually decreasing doses or gradually increasing doses helps.
2.He should of visited a doctor and had his vitals checked. You should always have your bloodpressure and cholesterol and lipid profile checked while going on a Steroid cycle. If he had done that he would of cought the increasing blood pressure early and prevented his whole ordeal.

This guy's "Experience" in no way proves steroids are "Dangerous". Only proves they "Can be dangerous" if used incorrectly..And he obviously used incorrectly.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 09:20:18 PM »
  guru    LOL

I agree with most that I'm a prick, that I'm a pain in the ass, that I'm worthy of a beatdown.

But ya gotta admit I can move some product, no matter what it is.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 09:57:33 PM »
Wow. I can't imagine how frustrating that whole episode must have been for all of you involved behind the scenes. Can't blame you for not doing it again Mike.
HAHA, RON.....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 09:58:39 PM »
post the guy's contact information so that all 75,000 of us can write him and tell him we disapprove of the way he operates. Words have weight.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 11:38:45 PM »
Well Mike I could fill this thread with my nightmare I had the Hawaii Convention Center for my show.  I have told the story too many times.  But how about this one.  I was required to has 24 hour security because I had $1+ million in exotic cars at the expo.  I had over 100 vendors and booths.  The Gracie Jiu Jitsu tournament had 140 entrants.  Anyway, on Monday the last day of the show some of the vendors decided to come n early to get ready.  Well when they got there they caught the security guards and some other employees stealing from there booths.  They stole t-shirts and some supplements.  I had a full racing motorcyle there and one the guards was sitting on it.  When he got scared he let the bike fall and it cost me $2,200 to get the front fairing fixed.  The vendors who were there filed a police report.  Well 3 or 4 days later the owner of the security company called and wanted to know where his $8,300 was for the security.  I asked him if he heard what happened and he said no.  So I told him the story and gave him the police report number.  I said you read it and call me if you want to get paid.  If you still do thn I will contact the papers and TV news prgrams to let them know what the security company does at the convention center during off hours.  I never heard from him again.

Another thing that really killed me was the committment of the Visitors Bureau to hang banners from the light poles lining Waikiki Beach.  They didn't do it.  I called the lady 2 weeks beforee the show to ask her how it is coming and she apologized a million times saying she forgot all about it.  I have a million things.  Including the center employees not charging anyone the first day too.  My daughter came upi to me and said Daddy they are just letting people walk in.  I watched for a minute and saw it and went over and raised hell.  Another thing is I hired Ticketmaster to handle tckets sales online and at the show.  There was what I found to be around $6,000 missing.  But I couldn't prove it.  Well the same company and same guy just last year was caught by the NFL ripping off over $100,000 in tickets sale from the Pro Bowl.  I am full of them but I can't bring up past nightmares, I am starting to twitch.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 05:10:30 AM »
http://www.thebullmagazine.com/bull21new/Mike.htm

Hmm.. I bet you'd put on a mean second show. Some very tough, bitter but good experience there.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 12:42:57 PM »
Damn, onlyme, why does anyone even bother putting on these shows....... :-\
HAHA, RON.....

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »
I wish you would have written this sooner...
Motherboy (the band).

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 01:45:46 PM »
Man that story was brutal!

It always amazes me how inefficient people who run venues and ticketing outlets are...

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »
The sad part is I left out how EB games had a agreed to host a madden tournament there.  It was to go through their stores and promised at least 500 entrants.  We offered up good money for the winners, had shirts printed and all types of promo material.  Turns out the guy helping us who was a regional guy, put all the crap in his office and never distributed it.  He went out of town during the week of our show and we had to call corporate EB to get them to fly him back to NC for our show.  Instead of all the plazma's and shit he promised, out came 5 tv's about 12" big.  That cost us another 10k roughly.

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 02:10:18 PM »
Is "Mike", Mike Valentino, the NPC rep from NC?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 02:18:07 PM »
The sad part is I left out how EB games had a agreed to host a madden tournament there.  It was to go through their stores and promised at least 500 entrants.  We offered up good money for the winners, had shirts printed and all types of promo material.  Turns out the guy helping us who was a regional guy, put all the crap in his office and never distributed it.  He went out of town during the week of our show and we had to call corporate EB to get them to fly him back to NC for our show.  Instead of all the plazma's and shit he promised, out came 5 tv's about 12" big.  That cost us another 10k roughly.

If I had a booth and table there. GREAT SUCCESS!

Sorry to hear that Mike,  Don`t worry, I will buy some protein from you.

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 04:11:44 PM »
Is "Mike", Mike Valentino, the NPC rep from NC?

No, I'm Mike.  I had contact with Mike Valentino.  I was very unimpressed.  I spent a fortune in fee's via the IFBB to put on this show.  Yet, when I kindly asked Mike for the NPC mailing list for NC, he told me it wasn't an NPC show and he couldn't do anything.  I explained that I didn't physically WANT the list, but would gladly pay them to send material out for me about the show.  Once again, I was told I couldn't have anything to do with the list.  I guess putting on a pro show is a step down from an NPC show. 

That was the start of me realing how much of a pain this was going to be.  This industry is filled with morons. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »
  This industry is filled with morons. 
Like others also, just can't deal with those that are unwilling to work!!

Geesh this could have really been a great show for the future.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 04:24:42 PM »
No, I'm Mike.  I had contact with Mike Valentino.  I was very unimpressed.  I spent a fortune in fee's via the IFBB to put on this show.  Yet, when I kindly asked Mike for the NPC mailing list for NC, he told me it wasn't an NPC show and he couldn't do anything.  I explained that I didn't physically WANT the list, but would gladly pay them to send material out for me about the show.  Once again, I was told I couldn't have anything to do with the list.  I guess putting on a pro show is a step down from an NPC show. 

That was the start of me realing how much of a pain this was going to be.  This industry is filled with morons. 

many morons

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »

Welcome to their world.  :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 07:05:14 PM »
wow.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 08:02:25 PM »

Thanks for putting onthe show, I bought my tickets last year and was happy with the sevice you guys provided.
I used to promote, no big IFBB shows, just regional, local AAU, NPC shows.
I agree, that it is cool to do the show and I lost my azz, only once on a natural show, and that was it for me.
Too many morons, goobers and those that think you make millions....right ;)
I think that the IFBB and the current pros need to come togther with good promoters like you folks and discuss what are the viable ways we can expand the pro line up. Hell, if poker and NASCAR along with the WWE can turn a decent profit, why not bodybuilding :D ???
Sad to say with a mainstream, corperate sponser on board and no TV revenue or cable network contracts for reg views, the pro sport is fighting a tough battle.
All the best, Thanks for your efforts and the post about what happened.
Howard White in Ga
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 09:01:26 PM »

Actually all promoters have access to those lists.  I got them and they even printed out the mailing labels for me.  That is one good thing they did.  Considering my show was in Hawaii, I had 19 competitors from the mainland 63 total.  My bikini contest had 31 competitors and I think 11 from the mainland.  The exposure Jeff Everson gave me in Planet Muscle was awesome.   VPX was my biggest sponsors and they were absolutely great.  I felt like shit when only 6,000 people came and I told people to expect 30,000.  Plus what hurt me the most probably was the military.  I spent three months promting the show on all the military bases.  When the pros came over they went and did seminars and signings at the bases.  I took 4 bikini girls to Pearl Harbor and Kaneohe Marine Base to hand out flyers.  We had 9 teams of 16 competitors from all the branches of the military to challenge Dragan in that dumbells press competition.  Well my show was on Memorial Day weekend and all the soldiers were not allowed to leave their base that weekend due to tours and other things happening on base.  It killed me.  No military people.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 10:41:26 PM »
Actually all promoters have access to those lists.  I got them and they even printed out the mailing labels for me.  That is one good thing they did.  Considering my show was in Hawaii, I had 19 competitors from the mainland 63 total.  My bikini contest had 31 competitors and I think 11 from the mainland.  The exposure Jeff Everson gave me in Planet Muscle was awesome.   VPX was my biggest sponsors and they were absolutely great.  I felt like shit when only 6,000 people came and I told people to expect 30,000.  Plus what hurt me the most probably was the military.  I spent three months promting the show on all the military bases.  When the pros came over they went and did seminars and signings at the bases.  I took 4 bikini girls to Pearl Harbor and Kaneohe Marine Base to hand out flyers.  We had 9 teams of 16 competitors from all the branches of the military to challenge Dragan in that dumbells press competition.  Well my show was on Memorial Day weekend and all the soldiers were not allowed to leave their base that weekend due to tours and other things happening on base.  It killed me.  No military people.

Keith how much money did you personally lose from the event if you don't mind me asking?

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 11:04:38 PM »
Both Keith and Mike would get crushed on The Apprentice. Both of these events sounded like the Apprentice Finals where the producers make sure a bunch of shit goes wrong just to see how the competitors react. Both stories are filled with fcukups -- with Mike it sounds like most of it was due to getting steamrolled by the CCC, which was a probably a by-product of not having all the details in writing. Some of the other stuff, like the Madden deal could also have been locked up with contracts to at least make them hold up their end of the bargain. Some of the other stuff like the lack of help by the NPC is just indicative of how people want to see entrepreneurs fail. With Keith, it sounds like he made some classic Apprentice mistakes -- counting on military personnel to show up on Memorial Day weekend (that would get you fired on Episode One), counting on a non-paid, non-employee (civil servants are the WORST) to help you promote the event, and having jui-jitsu tournament without inviting BJ Penn.

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

Special "Homer" Ed
BigNationRadio.com